Author Topic: "Classic" Albums that you didnt really feel were classics  (Read 2643 times)

MoodMuzik

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: "Classic" Albums that you didnt really feel were classics
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2009, 04:47:15 PM »
I'm not shittin' on "illmatic" but that album doesn't get any play really.  like i can't tell you tha last time i heard ANYBODY play a song off of there, not even on tha radio when they do old skool hip hop sets, and that nigga plays everything, shit all of us forgot about.
its 2009 most people are bumpin lil wayne not illmatic

Al Bundy

« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2009, 04:54:45 PM »
NO Gangstarr albums are classic.  I've tried to listen to most of them but always found myself getting sleepy and or bored everytime
Illmatic.  Way too overrated.  I mean serious 9 tracks that are all (besides 1) under 5 minutes long.  It's 9 songs, not 15.  I can take 9 Gucci Mane songs from some mixtapes (all made in the same year) and make a better album than Illmatic.... real talk!

wow. i bump gucci mane but they are on two totally different levels. i can't stress enough how illmatic is classic. gucci mane hasn't made one classic album. fuck a mixtape

i don't want to insult you like most of the people on here will probably do after reading this quote but god damn, you make it pretty easy.

naw, niggaz just don't fuck wit everything people think is "classic"- look at how y'all think of me for example.  im like the only person who even has a copy of Illmatic or who even remembers that album.  niggaz still remember Doggystyle, but not Illmatic

Nobody remembers Illmatic? If you say so.

maybe up North they still ride out 2 that shit but once you hit Maryland and all tha way to California that shit is dead.  I'm tellin' u, Illmatic is like an old Parliment tape now, no lie.  This isn't my opinion neither, just my observation and numerous encounters talking with people.

i'm cali raised and i still bump illmatic. nas isn't like bluegrass from the 1920's

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2009, 04:57:56 PM »
NO Gangstarr albums are classic.  I've tried to listen to most of them but always found myself getting sleepy and or bored everytime
Illmatic.  Way too overrated.  I mean serious 9 tracks that are all (besides 1) under 5 minutes long.  It's 9 songs, not 15.  I can take 9 Gucci Mane songs from some mixtapes (all made in the same year) and make a better album than Illmatic.... real talk!

wow. i bump gucci mane but they are on two totally different levels. i can't stress enough how illmatic is classic. gucci mane hasn't made one classic album. fuck a mixtape

i don't want to insult you like most of the people on here will probably do after reading this quote but god damn, you make it pretty easy.

naw, niggaz just don't fuck wit everything people think is "classic"- look at how y'all think of me for example.  im like the only person who even has a copy of Illmatic or who even remembers that album.  niggaz still remember Doggystyle, but not Illmatic

maybe up North they still ride out 2 that shit but once you hit Maryland and all tha way to California that shit is dead.  I'm tellin' u, Illmatic is like an old Parliment tape now, no lie.  This isn't my opinion neither, just my observation and numerous encounters talking with people.

i'm cali raised and i still bump illmatic. nas isn't like bluegrass from the 1920's

lol thats some real shit but at the same time it's dated... end of story, it's not like it's "All Eyez On Me" or "Ready To Die"

Al Bundy

« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2009, 05:01:53 PM »

lol thats some real shit but at the same time it's dated... end of story, it's not like it's "All Eyez On Me" or "Ready To Die"

of course it's dated! but that doesn't affect the quality of the album. ready to die is another dated album yet you mentioned it like it wasn't

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2009, 06:11:08 PM »
Illmatic came out almost a year after Doggystyle did.

Is Illmatic a classic? HELL YEAH. Biggie if alive would even say that. Classic in the very sense alone how influential it was to not only east coast hip hop but music in general. I seen Nas in concert out here in Vegas a couple years ago, Marley Marl was his DJ. They played ALL east coast joints from that era and the majority of them was from Illmatic (also played EPMD, Biggie, Mobb Deep, Gangstarr, etc). I really did not know how the crowd would react but everyone recited word for word every Illmatic song played and all the other songs.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »
See this is why i said these sort of threads become a lil shady because when albums like illmatic and chronic get mentioned...u know the rest...

;)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2009, 06:18:47 PM »
See this is why i said these sort of threads become a lil shady because when albums like illmatic and chronic get mentioned...u know the rest...

;)

???

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2009, 06:22:12 PM »

;)

???

I just mean when people say illmatic is overrated etc...Its one thing to say you dont like the album, thats cool...i can understand people saying that but to questions its classic placement is another thing..same with albums like chronic etc...so while i think this is a dope thread...it borders on hating/dodgy comments coming from everywhere...thats all i was trying to say!  ;D

pz!

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2009, 06:25:34 PM »

;)

???

I just mean when people say illmatic is overrated etc...Its one thing to say you dont like the album, thats cool...i can understand people saying that but to questions its classic placement is another thing..same with albums like chronic etc...so while i think this is a dope thread...it borders on hating/dodgy comments coming from everywhere...thats all i was trying to say!  ;D

pz!

Ok, yeah I got cha now lol. Very true, and it's crazy to think albums like a Illmatic and Doggystyle are 15+ years old.

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2009, 11:21:26 PM »
I thought the Black Album was overrated

DIP DIP SET SET

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2009, 12:49:11 AM »

that right there is blasphemy. A statement like this should make your opinion void on any future hip hop discussions.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2009, 12:29:34 PM »

that right there is blasphemy. A statement like this should make your opinion void on any future hip hop discussions.

lol...  i fucks wit Illmatic (1 of the 1st albums i've ever brought) but 9 songs just don't do it 4 me.  I'm not denyin' that tha shit is pure fire (i'd be a deaf bastard if i didn't believe that).  but it's way too short.  a Kalassic is something that should be longer than 35/45 minutes.  It took Nas 2 years to do Illmatic and only came out with 9 songs, naw i can't vouch 4 a classic.  Timeless yes, classic no- there is a difference.  The Chronic=classic; timeless= no.  People will begin to put that album down (after this generation) once Dre drops Detox.  It'll be like "2pacolypse Now" or "Lethal Injection".  Everybody can agree that Dre, Cube, Pac are all classic artist but all of their shit won't be on blast in the future, no matter how good/classic it is to us.  "Darkside of the moon"= timeless; "Ready To Die" =classic.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
^what's the point of Nas adding 4 or 5 extra songs that aren't classic songs?

every song from start to finish is a 5/5 classic; why just add songs so you have more material to listen to that you would just call weak (compared to the rest) & then disrespect the album?

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2009, 03:50:05 PM »
I'm not a fan of early gangstarr albums either.. Preme's beats just weren't right until Moment of Truth.. imo thats their magnum opus. Ownerz was hot too.

RaveyOne

« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2009, 04:44:36 PM »
ALL THAT WACC ASS EAST COAST SHIT FUCC NAS FUCC GANGSTARR FUCC GAY Z FUCC BDP FUCC ALL THAT BULLSHIT. WU-TANG GETS A PASS BUT ITS STILL WEST COAST 4 LYFE HOMEBOY 818 MIDDLE EAST RAVE GANG HOMIE MAN UP OR LAY DOWN