Author Topic: "Classic" Albums that you didnt really feel were classics  (Read 2633 times)

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
Re: "Classic" Albums that you didnt really feel were classics
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2009, 06:54:38 PM »
Illmatic overrated!?!?!  Ok end this this thread asap

DIP DIP SET SET

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »
Illmatic.  Way too overrated.  I mean serious 9 tracks that are all (besides 1) under 5 minutes long.  It's 9 songs, not 15.  I can take 9 Gucci Mane songs from some mixtapes (all made in the same year) and make a better album than Illmatic.... real talk!

that right there is blasphemy. A statement like this should make your opinion void on any future hip hop discussions.

lol...  i fucks wit Illmatic (1 of the 1st albums i've ever brought) but 9 songs just don't do it 4 me.  I'm not denyin' that tha shit is pure fire (i'd be a deaf bastard if i didn't believe that).  but it's way too short.  a Kalassic is something that should be longer than 35/45 minutes.  It took Nas 2 years to do Illmatic and only came out with 9 songs, naw i can't vouch 4 a classic.  Timeless yes, classic no- there is a difference.  The Chronic=classic; timeless= no.  People will begin to put that album down (after this generation) once Dre drops Detox.  It'll be like "2pacolypse Now" or "Lethal Injection".  Everybody can agree that Dre, Cube, Pac are all classic artist but all of their shit won't be on blast in the future, no matter how good/classic it is to us.  "Darkside of the moon"= timeless; "Ready To Die" =classic.

I don't care how long an album is. A masterpiece is a masterpiece and Illmatic may be the closest hip hop has come to a musical masterpiece. More songs could have just ruined it and taken away from the theme of the album. A classic album is supposed to play out like a movie or a book. Taking the best 20s in hip hop and putting them on one album doesn't make it a classic to me any more than taking the 25 best scenes in film and putting them together makes a classic film.

An album that doesn't connect it's songs properly is like a song that has three completely different verses and three completely different choruses. Each verse and chorus may be amazing but if they make no sense together it's not a classic song.

Marvin Gaye's What's Going On is only 9 tracks. Darkside of the moon, which you mentioned is only 10. You don't need to add another 40 minutes to a film to ensure it's a 3 hour classic. The Dark Knight, imo, would have been a lot better with about half an hour less story.

Jaydc555

« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2009, 07:00:44 PM »
That was well said shallow but radiotube still won't understand

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2009, 07:03:08 PM »
That was well said shallow but radiotube still won't understand

I don't expect him to. I just wanted to put my opinion out there.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2009, 07:31:55 PM »
Illmatic.  Way too overrated.  I mean serious 9 tracks that are all (besides 1) under 5 minutes long.  It's 9 songs, not 15.  I can take 9 Gucci Mane songs from some mixtapes (all made in the same year) and make a better album than Illmatic.... real talk!

that right there is blasphemy. A statement like this should make your opinion void on any future hip hop discussions.

lol...  i fucks wit Illmatic (1 of the 1st albums i've ever brought) but 9 songs just don't do it 4 me.  I'm not denyin' that tha shit is pure fire (i'd be a deaf bastard if i didn't believe that).  but it's way too short.  a Kalassic is something that should be longer than 35/45 minutes.  It took Nas 2 years to do Illmatic and only came out with 9 songs, naw i can't vouch 4 a classic.  Timeless yes, classic no- there is a difference.  The Chronic=classic; timeless= no.  People will begin to put that album down (after this generation) once Dre drops Detox.  It'll be like "2pacolypse Now" or "Lethal Injection".  Everybody can agree that Dre, Cube, Pac are all classic artist but all of their shit won't be on blast in the future, no matter how good/classic it is to us.  "Darkside of the moon"= timeless; "Ready To Die" =classic.

I don't care how long an album is. A masterpiece is a masterpiece and Illmatic may be the closest hip hop has come to a musical masterpiece. More songs could have just ruined it and taken away from the theme of the album. A classic album is supposed to play out like a movie or a book. Taking the best 20s in hip hop and putting them on one album doesn't make it a classic to me any more than taking the 25 best scenes in film and putting them together makes a classic film.

An album that doesn't connect it's songs properly is like a song that has three completely different verses and three completely different choruses. Each verse and chorus may be amazing but if they make no sense together it's not a classic song.

Marvin Gaye's What's Going On is only 9 tracks. Darkside of the moon, which you mentioned is only 10. You don't need to add another 40 minutes to a film to ensure it's a 3 hour classic. The Dark Knight, imo, would have been a lot better with about half an hour less story.

i guess u didnt understand the part where i said timeless; and in tha same note also said that pink floyds shit was timeless, which should give u an idea of wat im talking about (if u can grasp how deep that is).  illmatic is one of those albums that you'll see in 40 years on tv as a collectible item (like they do with "solid gold soul" lol), im fully aware & uncritical of it's stature in hip hop but im still right.  but im tha loose cannon, in everybody's eyes i just dont get it.  :whistle: i guess

but me personally and i think this should be followed... an EP isn't enough.  i want atleast 12 tracks of something to ride to, not a half hour or less of just good music.  i coulda sworn the other day i was saying something similar to wat y'all r trying to protest me with... matter of fact it's in this topic.  all im saying is the more the better, i wouldn't take off 1 track off All Eyez On Me, and that's a timeless classic it's self (it's both) Illmatic is just timeless bcuz of wat it represents and the sound, it defines Hip Hop (that's obvious).  i aint nit-pickin' on it, im just sayin how the album looks down the lines of history and how it will play out in history/the future.

trust me i know about Nas, and one sure dam thing i know is good music.  you'll see me on tv and in books talking about this game 1 day lol.... that's some real shit tho  8)

question:  if Tha Massacre or When The Smoke Clears 6661 was trimmed down to 10-12 tracks, would you call it classic?  what about Tha Doggfather?  What if Ice T woulda trimmed down OG, would it be a classic?  What about Encore, would it be on the same calibur of his previous albums if it were down to 8-10 tracks with only the serious side of Em?  You can't call everything a classic.

*this has been edited again*
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:37:18 PM by RadioTube! Da Cannon »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2009, 07:39:41 PM »
you can't call everything a classic, neither can you deny a classic if there's already enough material to turn it out into a classic...... "until the end of time", "better dayz", "the art of war", "tha last meal", "tha eastsidaz".... there's so much more... why u think Face always gets so much praise, he keeps his shit short and simple.  but let Face drop a double or triple album (solo) you would deny it as a classic bcuz there's so many tracks (excess) and would forget about the 16+ certified bangers that's between the albums, so therefor it wouldn't be classic in your eyes
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:42:10 PM by RadioTube! Da Cannon »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2009, 07:44:10 PM »
If LAX was an EP, same with The Doctor's Advocate, tha haters would shut their fuckin mouths and hail it as a classic... but timeless??

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2009, 07:44:35 PM »
^1.Evil Deeds - 3/5
2. Never Enough -3.5/5
3. Yellow Brick Road - 4/5
4. Like Toy Soldiers - 4/5
5. Spend Some Time - 3.5/5
6. Encore - 4/5
7. We As Americans - 4/5
8. Mockingbird - 3.5/5
9. nothing else that is as good as these songs (but these songs aren't all that good)

Encore's quantity actually made the quality of his better songs on the album look good lol.

now Illmatic has every song 5/5, classic; there is a huge difference there.

you could do the same with 50's "The Massacre", it would be a similar thing to what i just did with Encore.

Jaydc555

« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2009, 07:46:38 PM »
But the fact remains you can't judge an album by what it could have been or say hey if I take the shitty songs off its a great album!you judge an album by what it is not what it could be

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2009, 07:47:16 PM »
If LAX was an EP, same with The Doctor's Advocate, tha haters would shut their fuckin mouths and hail it as a classic... but timeless??

Hell people already say Doctor's Advocate is a classic as is.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2009, 07:56:27 PM »
But the fact remains you can't judge an album by what it could have been or say hey if I take the shitty songs off its a great album!you judge an album by what it is not what it could be

that's so true but still, i can't bite for 8 solo tracks as being an all around classic.  you need more, he should've atleast put 10 tracks on the album (solos) and then I wouldn't have said shit, but 2 years on an EP... naw.... like I said i can take a random 8 songs from almost anybody from a 2year span and it'll match illmatic.  i know y'all dont like what i'm saying but it's true.  hell Will Smiff Dogg has dropped an IllMatic already with CMMDI.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2009, 07:56:52 PM »

lol we'll see how it plays out in time, it just might be....

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »

i guess u didnt understand the part where i said timeless; and in tha same note also said that pink floyds shit was timeless, which should give u an idea of wat im talking about (if u can grasp how deep that is).  illmatic is one of those albums that you'll see in 40 years on tv as a collectible item (like they do with "solid gold soul" lol), im fully aware & uncritical of it's stature in hip hop but im still right.  but im tha loose cannon, in everybody's eyes i just dont get it.  :whistle: i guess

but me personally and i think this should be followed... an EP isn't enough.  i want atleast 12 tracks of something to ride to, not a half hour or less of just good music.  i coulda sworn the other day i was saying something similar to wat y'all r trying to protest me with... matter of fact it's in this topic.  all im saying is the more the better, i wouldn't take off 1 track off All Eyez On Me, and that's a timeless classic it's self (it's both) Illmatic is just timeless bcuz of wat it represents and the sound, it defines Hip Hop (that's obvious).  i aint nit-pickin' on it, im just sayin how the album looks down the lines of history and how it will play out in history/the future.

trust me i know about Nas, and one sure dam thing i know is good music.  you'll see me on tv and in books talking about this game 1 day lol.... that's some real shit tho  8)

question:  if Tha Massacre or When The Smoke Clears 6661 was trimmed down to 10-12 tracks, would you call it classic?  what about Tha Doggfather?  What if Ice T woulda trimmed down OG, would it be a classic?  What about Encore, would it be on the same calibur of his previous albums if it were down to 8-10 tracks with only the serious side of Em?  You can't call everything a classic.

So do you think Dark Side is a classic or not? If the answer is no this will definitely be my last post direct to you on this thread.

Anyway, you asked what I think Doggfather or Encore would be with 8 to 10 tracks each; it depends. Encore I flat out don't like so no. I'd have to isten to Doggfather more to think anything of it.

Let me give an example of an album that I think would have been much better. All Eyez On Me, imo, would have been better if it contained the following 10 tracks

"Ambitionz Az a Ridah"
"How Do U Want It"
"No More Pain"  
"Heartz of Men"
"Life Goes On"  
"Only God Can Judge Me"
"I Ain't Mad at Cha"
"Shorty Wanna Be a Thug"
"Wonda Why They Call U Bitch"
"All Eyez on Me"

The order may have to change but I think those 10 tracks would perfectly capture what Tupac was trying to say on the new album that the other songs either straayed away from or over-emphasized. You may not take one song off of it (how you think Phone # belongs on anyone's album is beyond me) but I would have cut it to those 10 songs. The other good songs could have been on soundtracks.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2009, 07:58:23 PM »

not a true classic album, but it's borderline.

a personal classic to some & concidered a Westcoast Classic by most.

but even if you cut songs & just put the best ones; it wouldn't make it a "WHOA THIS IS CLASSIC!" classic lol.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »

So do you think Dark Side is a classic or not? If the answer is no this will definitely be my last post direct to you on this thread.

Anyway, you asked what I think Doggfather or Encore would be with 8 to 10 tracks each; it depends. Encore I flat out don't like so no. I'd have to isten to Doggfather more to think anything of it.

Let me give an example of an album that I think would have been much better. All Eyez On Me, imo, would have been better if it contained the following 10 tracks

"Ambitionz Az a Ridah"
"How Do U Want It"
"No More Pain"  
"Heartz of Men"
"Life Goes On"  
"Only God Can Judge Me"
"I Ain't Mad at Cha"
"Shorty Wanna Be a Thug"
"Wonda Why They Call U Bitch"
"All Eyez on Me"

The order may have to change but I think those 10 tracks would perfectly capture what Tupac was trying to say on the new album that the other songs either straayed away from or over-emphasized. You may not take one song off of it (how you think Phone # belongs on anyone's album is beyond me) but I would have cut it to those 10 songs. The other good songs could have been on soundtracks.

you obviously have a hard time dealing with concepts lol

"doggy dogg world" "What Would U Do" is a classic, "california love" is timeless

- The Classic

- The Timeless .... both versions
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:54:12 PM by RadioTube! Da Cannon »