Author Topic: "Classic" Albums that you didnt really feel were classics  (Read 2608 times)

BiggBoogaBiff

Re: "Classic" Albums that you didnt really feel were classics
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2009, 11:27:58 AM »
Theirs no rule that an artist has to make a long album these days its their choice.Lots of album still drop today that are only 12 songs.

And it is kinda like an unwritten rule of an album; to have more than 13 tracks.  People feel cheated if you don't nowadays.  Back in the day it wasn't like that, you could drop an album of 6 songs (20 minute album) and people would flip- it's not like that now.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2009, 11:30:18 AM »
Master P really to me was the one that made people drop more songs. Along with Pac and BIG doing double albums but P would have 20-30 songs on all of his albums. I remember getting C-Murder's Life Or Death album and seeing i think it was 28 or 32 tracks. I was like god damn I ain't listening to all this lol.

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »
he literally had something for everyone.

Exactly. I believe Life After Death is one of the reasons that, as DaCannon said, rappers are making longer albums. They want to cater to more than one market at the same time. I think that's also a reason concept albums aren't very popular nowadays, rappers are scared to make a 12 song album around the one concept, because if the mainstream don't like the concept, the album isn't bought and they have no R'n'B or Clubby joints to rake in sales.

And Jay, I Love the Dough was dope. The beat might be "cheesy" to a hardcore hip hop audience but real rap fans love that joint because of how Jay and Biggie were competing with each other lyrically to see who could kill it. You're obviously a big 2Pac fan and aren't going to budge on your own opinion of the album, all I'm saying is that it's a little narrow-minded to suggest that nobody could call it a classic, because millions do.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2009, 11:34:15 AM »
Master P really to me was the one that made people drop more songs. Along with Pac and BIG doing double albums but P would have 20-30 songs on all of his albums. I remember getting C-Murder's Life Or Death album and seeing i think it was 28 or 32 tracks. I was like god damn I ain't listening to all this lol.

true shit

Jaydc555

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2009, 11:38:13 AM »
I'm an equal fan of both artists.I mean not to take the arguement this way but if 2pac had not made all eyez on me biggie would never have made a double disc album.Not that their is anything wrong with that.I think saying millions do is a bit of a bit of a reach.Millions think ready to die is classic but not life after death.Sure the die hard big fans might call it a classic the same way a die hard 2pac fan calls all eyez on me classic or dogg pound with dogg food classic.But that's more of a personal classic.Me against the world and ready to die are classics because they are flawless albums.Life after death and all eyez on me are not flawless they both have weak parts and skippable tracks.

Lunatic

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2009, 11:39:07 AM »
^ A lot of ppl say the reason Biggie did a double disc was b/c he had the accident and had nothing to do but sit down and write music.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Jaydc555

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2009, 11:39:53 AM »
I'm not being narrow minded but their is a difference between a personal classic and a classic.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2009, 11:42:26 AM »
^ A lot of ppl say the reason Biggie did a double disc was b/c he had the accident and had nothing to do but sit down and write music.

Nah that was a competition thing. All Eyez On Me came out so that was the kings going at it.

RingMan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BWS Czech Capo
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2009, 11:44:24 AM »
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & Soul Brother
Madvillainy
first Common albums

I don't know why, but these albums are boring to me

Rap is not real, I don't care what they told you,
Fake people say fake things in their vocalbooth
- Soul Position - Mic Control

I make it hard to read me, graffiti flow - Rakim - Word On The Streets

Jimmy H.

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2009, 01:22:44 PM »
Likewise College Dropout has some skippable tracks and quite a few pointless skits which imo make it far from the flawless album it would need to be if it were a classic.
Yeah, I agree on Dropout. It's actually a great album and comes close to being a classic and I'm not even much of a Kanye fan but those skits? That college graduate skit with the guy trying to sound white. They drag that fucking joke for way too long. It might have worked as a quick little segue between songs but they kept going on and on. Enough already.

MediumL

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2009, 01:33:20 PM »
its hard cause take albums like all eyes on me and life after death. theyre both considered classics but theres tracks on both id skip over.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

OchoCinco

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2009, 01:39:44 PM »
I'm not being narrow minded but their is a difference between a personal classic and a classic.

Ya, but i do think that is very hard to differentiate tho, i mean so just because a bunch of ppl tell me that a Jayz album is a classic im supposed to agree? I think deciding what is a classic and what isn'ts a classic is really to each their own. I think too many ppl just go with what other people say.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:24:08 PM by OchoCinco »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2009, 02:20:33 PM »

Y, but i do think that is very hard to differentiate tho, i mean so just because a bunch of ppl tell me that a Jayz album is a classic im supposed to agree? I think deciding what is a classic and what isn'ts a classic is really to each their own. I think too many ppl just go with what other people say.

that's exactly what happens.

stillinrehab

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2009, 03:05:45 PM »
Any common album... I guess Like Water... Be and Finding Forever are considered by some to be his classics .... well I enjoy songs of his but cant enjoy a whole album... I can see how some would be great albums but in no way CLASSICS.... Also Redman albums (DIADS and Muddy Water) would be his classics... there are too many tracks on both that I can skip so it takes them out of Classic contention.... Cypress Hill (Self titled) I think for Cypress the Black Sunday Album was their classic album and it was more complete for me than self titled.... but this could be blurring the line between classics and personal classics?

Kool Beenz

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2009, 03:39:07 PM »
The Carter 3