Author Topic: Guru Gang Starr says Southern Hip hip is not "Hip Hop" Pseudo Hip Hop  (Read 429 times)

Lunatic

i told y'all Gangstarr was outdated.  they died out right before the end of Throwback Jerseys
LMAO!

There ain't no respect nowhere, no ways, no more.....so..
no hate, but u can't deny the majority of the hate comes from the east..
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Wow I expected a little bit more maturity from Guru on that. That is the problem with blanket statements like that. Now if Illseed would have put him on the spot and said well what about Scarface then he would have got a completely different response. But Face is a Southern artist. That is like saying if Mims sold 3 million albums off of This Is Why I'm Hot, Rick Ross saying he hate East Coast rap.

OG Hack Wilson

he's 100% correct
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!

OG Hack Wilson

i told y'all Gangstarr was outdated.  they died out right before the end of Throwback Jerseys

Gang Starr no. Guru, yes. Guru cannot hold down an album without Premier. Gang Starr still gets regular play by me now.

Guru can hold his own if Easy Mo Bee produced the beat haha
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

OG Hack Wilson

he's 100% correct

Explain how.

hip hop and southern rap are different species

hip hop is soulful, based on a culture...you have to have skillful rhymes or you get chased off stage  (happens to the best of them) and when Guru was coming up you couldn't spit shit like "Dufflebag Boy" or you'd get kicked out the cypher

southern rap for the most part is mindless dribble lyrically with lots of bass/base to drown out the vocals when bumping it.  no social message, no heart and no dope flows because the beat's are always too slow.  ofcourse we have our exceptions like Geto Boys and Outkast, but for the most part it's true.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
he's 100% correct

Explain how.

hip hop is soulful, based on a culture...you have to have skillful rhymes or you get chased off stage  (happens to the best of them) and when Guru was coming up you couldn't spit shit like "Dufflebag Boy" or you'd get kicked out the cypher

southern rap for the most part is mindless dribble lyrically with lots of bass/base to drown out the vocals when bumping it.  no social message, no heart and no dope flows because the beat's are always too slow.  ofcourse we have our exceptions like Geto Boys and Outkast, but for the most part it's true.

But again then Guru needs to be specific. Making a blanket statement like that throws groups like the Geto Boys, Outkast, etc under the bus. You can find wack shit on the east coast also. But if you talking about something specific then say it meaning Guru in this case.

OG Hack Wilson

eh if y our going to take his words 100% literal - then yes he shouldn't say "southern hip hop"

but i think we all know what he meant - all this crunk garbage lil jon started that just keeps getting worse and worse

modern mainstream rap is no longer about lyricism - we're a long way from 1994 when 2pac/Nas/Biggie were at the forefront lol

BiggBoogaBiff

he's 100% correct

Explain how.

that's true but southern hip hop is still tha shit, it's just as good as the other versions/genres of hip hop

all day

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
eh if y our going to take his words 100% literal - then yes he shouldn't say "southern hip hop"

but i think we all know what he meant - all this crunk garbage lil jon started that just keeps getting worse and worse

modern mainstream rap is no longer about lyricism - we're a long way from 1994 when 2pac/Nas/Biggie were at the forefront lol

I was not taking it in a literall sense. He should be smart enough to know that it could be taken that way though. Obviously if he would have named a few rappers he thought from the south were not hip hop then he would come off as a hater to most. Honest maybe but a hater. So it was easier to just say southern hip hop.

BiggBoogaBiff

Tha South will NEVER be shitty!  Mark 'me

westside159

gangstarr is probally saying that the new downsouth shit isnt hip hop , like mike jones , flo rida , soulja boy ,  etc  the hot garbage shit ...      

stillinrehab

• Muthafuckin' Don!
guru isn't even relevant anymore, that's why he's talking shit to stir up publicity. quit worrying about the next man and get yours. guru hasn't been shit since the last gangstarr album

+1

2euce 7even

Guru Gang Starr should go listen to Scarface, Geto Boyz, Outkast, 8Ball & MJG, UGK, Mr. 3-2, Z-Ro, K-Rino, Killer Mike and countless others before he makes statements.

you know that the artists you listed weren´t ment to be dissed..im sure they mean ppl like: jeezy, lil jon, solja boy,d4l,etc.

Lil Jon shouldnt be there either, considering he gave us this gem

And countless others

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH, OOOOOKAAAYYY!!!!!!!  ::)

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
LMAO!

There ain't no respect nowhere, no ways, no more.....so..
no hate, but u can't deny the majority of the hate comes from the east..

And they ain't doin' nuthin' either but the same mainstream bullshit.

But I can't front, they mainstream shit better than down south, no doubt, but that's just personal preference.

Thoughhhh nobody should call nobody wack, becuz they all wack.