Author Topic: Raekwon Announces 'Linx 2' Date  (Read 482 times)

Elano

Raekwon Announces 'Linx 2' Date
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:59:59 AM »
As first reported on Billboard.com last month, rapper Raekwon signed with EMI for his ICE H20 label, which will distribute his highly-anticipated "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II" album. Now, that set finally has a street date of August 11.

"I'm really joyous with the opportunity I've been given. I'm taking this album back to what it is I do - back to that real music," Raekwon tells Billboard.com.  "I'm really thirsting to get back in the game and let people hear it. Everybody on this album's got something to prove."

Raekwon worked with a number of producers on the album, including Dr. Dre, who has been working on his own "Detox" album for 7 years. "Dre came in and got his nut off - he came in with the traditional, signature Dre sound," Raekwon says of the track, while refusing to reveal the its title or if it will be a single. "I want to keep that in the pocket, to get more excitement. But be certain - we did this one for the fans."

Other producers on "Linx II" include Marley Marl, Pete Rock, the late J. Dilla, Scram Jones, DJ Scratch, Erick Sermon and RZA, who produced Raekwon's 1995 "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx," which sold 1.1 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen Soundscan. The latter also produced the street single "New Wu," featuring fellow Wu Tang Clan members Method Man and Ghostface Killah. "I had this track for a long time and was saving it because I knew it was 'Cuban Linx' material," says Raekwon.

Still, Raekwon admits he and RZA faced some tough times over the release of "8 Diagrams," Wu Tang Clan's 2007 album, claiming the production RZA provided wasn't what the group was known for. "For the album, it was important to keep the brand exciting. But RZA was doing the Hollywood shuffle in the film world and started bringing music to the table that we weren't known for," he says. "Our fans respect our tag teaming, our story-telling, not some opera shit.

"At the end of the day, I wasn't happy with that album, especially because I had this album coming out after and I didn't want n*ggas thinking we were losing our grip, and I damn sure wasn't going to let anyone sabotage my project," he continues. "Ghost wasn't happy, Meth wasn't happy - it wasn't just Rae. I was just the spokesperson. So we let the people know and asked them to forgive us for this one. That was RZA's world. Not that it was weak or trash but he was just over there right now."

But Raekwon clarifies it was just brotherly bickering, and the relationship is back to normal. "It's hard to tell your brother who made over ten fucking classics to chill. But, we go through that sometimes," he says. "At the end of the day I love my brothers. They had a lot to do with my career, my motivation and I definitely don't hold grudges." To date, "8 Diagrams" has sold 197,000 copies in the United States.

Raekwon certainly has no problems expressing his ill will. When asked about rapper Joe Budden recently challenging Method's Man rapping skills, Raekwon says it was a "violation," and goes as far as to say Budden copied his rhyming style from his Wu Tang partner. "I was hurt by Joe's comment. He seems like a cool dude, but I don't appreciate him going at Meth like that. He [Joe Budden] must've been feeling himself. You don't play a legend who, like Method Man, did a lot for hip-hop," says Raekwon. "Joe bit off him anyway. When you listen to 'Pump It Up,' real n*ggas know where that flow came from.. I'm not a battle rapper, but I will skin a n*gga, anybody. And, in my opinion, he isn't better than Meth, never. You gotta watch what your mouth. Joe was out of character."

To promote "Cuban Linx II," Raekwon says he will begin touring shortly and will also appear in a biopic titled "Cash Rules Everything Around Me," released by his own Ice H20 entertainment company.

Paul

Re: Raekwon Announces 'Linx 2' Date
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 07:08:30 AM »
This is gonna be classic
funkyfreshintheflesh

GATMAN

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 07:18:46 AM »
Rae's Right 8)

NillerTheKid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:23:01 AM »
I'm not a battle rapper, but I will skin a n*gga, anybody. And, in my opinion, he isn't better than Meth, never. You gotta watch what your mouth. Joe was out of character."

;D
See these fans can't resist the rush,
they Wu-Tang for life
Scarred for life,
they can't forget the cuts

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:36:06 AM »
WU-TANG FOREVER!

Matty

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 07:31:34 AM »
so only the one dre track now...must have been expensive...

album should be tight 8)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 11:33:18 AM »
only one Dre track?
so the rest disappeared

Jome

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 05:41:53 AM »
I bet there won't even be a Dre-track on the album.

They better put "A Bigger Gun" feat. Twista on the album, the radio rip sounds crazy.

Matty

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 07:55:58 AM »
3...then rae said they were trying to negotiate to get 2 on the album. seems like they only managed to get 1 in the end. dissapointing...

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 10:01:42 AM »
3...then rae said they were trying to negotiate to get 2 on the album. seems like they only managed to get 1 in the end. dissapointing...
Yeah, there's 3 Dre did. Rae also said that one of them didn't vibe with the album, so he didn't want to use it for OBFCLII, anyway. I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that this is going to be the Dilla track- http://www.zshare.net/audio/60457918c4d93eb3/

yukmouth23

• 'G'
  • Hip Hop will never die
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 12:41:53 PM »
Can't wait ;D
I'll be their the day it comes out getting 2 copies 1 to bump and 1 to keep in the plastic.

Jaydc555

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »
Should be dope.I don't know why 8 diagrams gets hated on so much I love it