Author Topic: The element of rapping that most mainstream rappers aren't equipped with is...  (Read 12796 times)

jeromechickenbone

Flow.

I hear cats on here always talkin about "this guy's flow is dope..." and then I'll listen to the same joint and wonder if this cat even knows what a flow is.  Because said rappers flow was horrible.

So I want to take a moment to clarify what makes a dope flow.  A dope flow is all about spitting in sync / rhythm with the beat.  The flow should be driven by the drums in the song, and should stay in time with them.  Their should be a little swing to how they're spitting.  Every once in a while skippin off beat for effect or what not is perfectly acceptable, but an entire song completely off beat and lacking any semblance of rhythm, especially w/ respect to the beat is not.

Rapping on time is what connects the rapper to the beat.  Without that element, there is a major disconnect between the two. 

Somehow though, it became a trend to kinda lazily talk over the song with little to no regard to the beat.  Off top guys like Wayne & Jay (even Andre3000 did this for a minute - his best Weezy impressions) etc are beyond capable of spittin like crazy, but a lot of times they don't.  And to me it makes them unlistenable when they are lazily talking rather than truly rapping.

It just seems like it is acceptable to no longer posess the ability to rap on time, and that's def one of the biggest reasons why I can't listen to a lot of mainstream shit.  Shit if you're gonna make 1000 songs about slangin rocks at least have a flow and the song then has some redeeming value.  It may still be enjoyable even though we've heard this generic subject matter before. 

Peace.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Game's got flow, right?  I think he's easily in top 5 vocalists of our generation. 

I don't think the flow for most cats are too bad.  For me, what's missing is a sense of lyricism.  I miss that element of suspense when two cats battle.  Everyone too scared to battle. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

BiggBoogaBiff

everybody got flow.  there's more than 1 way 2 flow just like there's more than 1 way 2 fuck

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
mainstream rappers don't give a fuck how they sound; as long as they sell & have groupie fans, there good.

Lunatic

T.I. & Ludacris have the best flows outta mainstream popular rappers today
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

BiggBoogaBiff

mainstream rappers don't give a fuck how they sound; as long as they sell & have groupie fans, there good.

hell yeah, wouldn't u want that too.... i know i wood

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!

hell yeah, but i wouldn't try to brag & act like i'm a dope rapper if i know i'm selling out for the bread.

BiggBoogaBiff

hell yeah, but i wouldn't try to brag & act like i'm a dope rapper if i know i'm selling out for the bread.

u wood sell out 4 that grill cheeze i'm tellin u.  i know u wood, anybody wood.  even Pac danced in those Hammer pants back in tha day

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!

u wood sell out 4 that grill cheeze i'm tellin u.  i know u wood, anybody wood.  even Pac danced in those Hammer pants back in tha day

yeah at first, but once i was ballin' i would become a real artist & not just sell that real shit.

that's what is going to be wrong with the next generation of rap.

guys coming up aren't going to be making great, classic albums.

50 came up spitting hard, so did Em; but now dudes are going to be coming up with that autotune & club tracks.

the art hip-hop is dying; it was made to make it big, tell your story & get out of the hood; now it's make one song that a million people will put as there ring tone, dance in the club & never be heard of again.

MoodMuzik

• Muthafuckin' Don!

yeah at first, but once i was ballin' i would become a real artist & not just sell that real shit.

50 came up spitting hard, so did Em; but now dudes are going to be coming up with that autotune & club tracks.

the art hip-hop is dying; it was made to make it big, tell your story & get out of the hood; now it's make one song that a million people will put as there ring tone, dance in the club & never be heard of again.
hip hop isnt dying its alive and well you just gotta find it cuz good hip hop doesnt come to you like bad hip hop

BiggBoogaBiff

hip hop isnt dying its alive and well you just gotta find it cuz good hip hop doesnt come to you like bad hip hop

thats not even true 4real 4real.  y'all just watch too much tv and y'all must not have a cd/mp3 player in your car.

and like most NORMAL people would do, you wood make a couple club bangers and get out of the hood (if that's where you're from).  thats the whole point like u said, by any means necessary.  trust me, living in tha hood will make alot more shit seem real to you, including bubblegum raps and cookie cutter marketing schemes.  it's really not as bad as alot of y'all make it out 2 seem

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!

i'd like to think that, but look at the game.

all the new guys aren't making true hip hop; even Drake. i love his music, but it isn't like real hip hop, but it's enjoyable music.

look at all the guys making the best music, Slaughterhouse (4 established rappers already), Kurupt (a legend), Xzibit (a legend).

theres others but i don't want to name everybody lol.

point is, all the new guys that are going to be coming up (with the exception of a few) are going to take the mainstream approach of music. autotune & shit.

rap will be almost dead when all the best rappers of right now are gone, it's inevitable.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
real fuckin shit cham click
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

MoodMuzik

• Muthafuckin' Don!

i'd like to think that, but look at the game.

all the new guys aren't making true hip hop; even Drake. i love his music, but it isn't like real hip hop, but it's enjoyable music.

look at all the guys making the best music, Slaughterhouse (4 established rappers already), Kurupt (a legend), Xzibit (a legend).

theres others but i don't want to name everybody lol.

point is, all the new guys that are going to be coming up (with the exception of a few) are going to take the mainstream approach of music. autotune & shit.

rap will be almost dead when all the best rappers of right now are gone, it's inevitable.
but like i said there is alot of new hip hop that is really good just not mainstream but we dont have to pay attention to the mainstream shit...lets just listen to the new artists that are really fuckin good and new that are making REAL hip hop...check out guys like Blu, TiRon, common market and ALOT others that are bringing REAL shit

BiggBoogaBiff

anybody complaining about Hip Hop music today is just bitter AND a sucker.  Bitter that THEIR Favorite artist isn't on top anymore or that they could never catch that break.  I don't care what y'all say, Hip Hop is even better nowadays; you got classics from back in tha day and u got that new flame from today.  If u cant feel that then i'll send it to in brail baby.