Author Topic: The element of rapping that most mainstream rappers aren't equipped with is...  (Read 12924 times)

BiggBoogaBiff

I still can't believe people get mad that tha radio doesn't play diversity lol.  fuck it, move on- for a fact (and u can google it) the average radio listener listens to about a total of 2 hours of radio in a week or a day (im not lookin right now).  so if there's 24 hours in a day, you spend a fraction of that time listening to tha radio.  there's ipods/mp3/cd players, listen to that lol.  stop saying people are getting dumbed down listening to tha radio (little kids aren't being infected listening to party songs on tha radio  :D that's fuckin delusional).  and everybody on here is a critic, so why y'all think your opinion is the only opinion that matters or is the only shed of truth- get over yourself asap.  who listens to only 1 form of music anyways, even the most hardcore hardcore rap listener plays some rnb every once in a while; so with that said no1 listens to only one form of music/hip hop.  

There's too many white people who live overseas thinking they know hip hop more than the next man  :laugh: (and that's tha truth so dont get all emo n shit).  Y'all wouldn't go 2 Africa and tell them that they aren't playing Real African Music bcuz they changed up tha swagger on tha beat.  You wouldn't tell a reggae artist that he isn't playing real reggae bcuz he ain't on some Bob Marley/Beenie Man shit.  <--- And that's wat y'all do, say this and that isn't hip hop, that person is killing the game, that rapper is fake, that isn't listenable, and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.  you can come up with every reason in tha book to hate on it and not listen to it but can't come up with 1 reason to do tha opposite, that makes u shallow.  if u dont like it, cool- just dont b comin on tha internet talkin shit every dam time and then try 2 justify it with some "what would talib say" bullshit.

Bottom line, there's a reason why niggaz like Gucci Mane is out there sellin records and sellin out shows; it's bcuz he hot and he has a loyal and growing fanbase.  if u think everybody is deaf bcuz of that then move the fuck off planet earth or get wit it and roll.  and plz dont give me no lyricist bullshit bcuz down south niggaz got all the lyricism you need, y'all just ain't listening.  you're spending too much time listening to tha radio and blocking it out everytime u "attempt" to give it a chance.  every song on every album isn't dumbed down, you just don't wanna play the music.

BiggBoogaBiff

Let's get real here. In the space of week I've seen people criticize Eminem's new album without mentioning how much he tore up the multi-sylablle rhyming, I've seen people say that Reasonable Doubt isn't a classic when anybody that listens to rap properly has got to give respect to the lyrics on that album and the same with Food and Liqour. There isn't one way to listen to rap, but there is definately a way to listen to lyrical rap, and if you're trying to tell me that everybody who listens to rap listens closely to the likes of Lupe Fiasco and Talib Kweli then you're being pretty naive, especially since plenty of rap fans have told me for a fact that they "can't be assed paying close attention to those lyrics".

We're pretty much on the same page but I just give the people the benefit of doubt even if it means I'm being naive.  That's all.  I enjoy Relapse and believe Reasonable Doubt and Food & Liquor to be a classics.  Discussing the merits of classic and providing opinion is cool.  That's all they were saying in that other thread.  I think it's legitimate to question what's classic.

Personally, always staying conscience like Talib does get boring.  So I appreciate the nonsense rappers, some days my mind wants to shut down and take a vacation.

your mind isn't shutting down bcuz you're playing a Yung Joc/*insert rapper* track lol... i hate when ppl say that shit, you must already be dumb from tha start.  lol...

http://www.imeem.com/people/SoX1I_/music/dCw4sVst/yung-joc-do-ya-bad/  classic track btw
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 07:20:58 AM by RadioTube! Da Cannon »

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Let's get real here. In the space of week I've seen people criticize Eminem's new album without mentioning how much he tore up the multi-sylablle rhyming, I've seen people say that Reasonable Doubt isn't a classic when anybody that listens to rap properly has got to give respect to the lyrics on that album and the same with Food and Liqour. There isn't one way to listen to rap, but there is definately a way to listen to lyrical rap, and if you're trying to tell me that everybody who listens to rap listens closely to the likes of Lupe Fiasco and Talib Kweli then you're being pretty naive, especially since plenty of rap fans have told me for a fact that they "can't be assed paying close attention to those lyrics".

We're pretty much on the same page but I just give the people the benefit of doubt even if it means I'm being naive.  That's all.  I enjoy Relapse and believe Reasonable Doubt and Food & Liquor to be a classics.  Discussing the merits of classic and providing opinion is cool.  That's all they were saying in that other thread.  I think it's legitimate to question what's classic.

Personally, always staying conscience like Talib does get boring.  So I appreciate the nonsense rappers, some days my mind wants to shut down and take a vacation.

your mind isn't shutting down bcuz you're playing a Yung Joc/*insert rapper* track lol... i hate when ppl say that shit, you must already be dumb from tha start.  lol...

http://www.imeem.com/people/SoX1I_/music/dCw4sVst/yung-joc-do-ya-bad/  classic track btw

How are you going to tell me how I feel when I listen to certain music?  When I listen to a track like Mims this is Why I'm Hot i'm not really thinking about shit - not my problems, not social issues, not shit.  My mind is blank.  I turn off those heavy thoughts and enjoy whatever the fuck is going on.  In other words it turns off, it goes on shut down.  When I bump Immortal Technique I tend to be in a more serious, introspective/reflective mood. 

I'm pretty sure most of us that are on the internet are with the program and listen to a diverse amount of music and don't listen to the radio exactly because of that reason.  It doesn't mean the radio shouldn't change and that people shouldn't strive to make a difference.  If we all just get with the program slavery would still exist. 

Since you said this,
and everybody on here is a critic, so why y'all think your opinion is the only opinion that matters or is the only shed of truth- get over yourself asap.

Why don't you take your own advice and not post?
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

rhythmalism

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Snoopy has the best flow in the game since '92

Triple OG Rapsodie

And, while I think rappers owe it to themselves as humans to be responsible with what they spit and be honest - either tell your life story of admit you're just telling a story - I don't have a problem with the majority of the "mainstream" artists.  My problem is with the radio and them not reflecting the diversity and lyricism of hip-hop. 

There ain't no god damn reason why a jay rock single (all my life or lift me up) can't be played after a lil wayne single and there ain't no reason why Talib Kweli can't follow a Lil Wayne track.  It's all hip-hop in my book.  In fact I don't understand why the radio doesn't try to gather more of these markets with shows.  For example, every Tuesday evening and night can be the west coast g-funk hour and it can reflect that type of music and every Wednesday night can be underground regional cats and every Thursday can be international hip-hop from across the world.  Of course I'd rather have it spread out across the week and intertwined throughout the show instead of limiting it to one night.  The radio is fucked and consequently people think hip-hop is fucked because of that.  I can't sit here and say hip-hop is dead when all these youngings/quality artist/mcs are doing it for the love and releasing free music - Bishop Lamont, Stat Quo, Papoose, Saigon, Joell Ortiz, Charles Hamilton, Drake, Wale, Slaughtherhouse (crooked-i, joell ortiz, royce, budden). And, I'm not even limiting my perspective of hip-hop to them because Eminem, 50, Common, Kanye, Wayne, TI, Jay, Nas are all hip-hop as well.  Hell, even Mims and Soulja Boy is and if you don't think so how'd hip-hop get started?  Kool Herc breaking and trying to have a good time while the folks got down.  Dance music has always been a part of hip-hop.

In my opinion the people that sold out first were the djs.

cosign everything you said.

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Game's got flow, right?  I think he's easily in top 5 vocalists of our generation. 

You're so stupid. Just kill yourself. It pains me so much that so many idiotic people are allowed to walk around oblivious to everything except their own self absorbed opinions on completely meaningless shit. The Game sucks, and you don't deserve to live you fucking monkey.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Game's got flow, right?  I think he's easily in top 5 vocalists of our generation. 

You're so stupid. Just kill yourself. It pains me so much that so many idiotic people are allowed to walk around oblivious to everything except their own self absorbed opinions on completely meaningless shit. The Game sucks, and you don't deserve to live you fucking monkey.

Much beef lately?

The Game might suck lyrically, which I have always admitted to, but there's no point in denying his vocal skill.

Hope you find an internal peace so when you put down others you don't make yourself look foolish in the process.
- Banks

Triple OG Rapsodie

Much beef lately?

The Game might suck lyrically, which I have always admitted to, but there's no point in denying his vocal skill.

Hope you find an internal peace so when you put down others you don't make yourself look foolish in the process.

lol top five? Game has average flow. But this guy was a little harsh on you. "you don't deserve to live you fucking monkey" now that's just uncalled for over someones opinion.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Much beef lately?

lol top five? Game has average flow. But this guy was a little harsh on you. "you don't deserve to live you fucking monkey" now that's just uncalled for over someones opinion.

Who's your favorite individual with flow?
- Banks

OG Hack Wilson

Flow.

I hear cats on here always talkin about "this guy's flow is dope..." and then I'll listen to the same joint and wonder if this cat even knows what a flow is.  Because said rappers flow was horrible.

So I want to take a moment to clarify what makes a dope flow.  A dope flow is all about spitting in sync / rhythm with the beat.  The flow should be driven by the drums in the song, and should stay in time with them.  Their should be a little swing to how they're spitting.  Every once in a while skippin off beat for effect or what not is perfectly acceptable, but an entire song completely off beat and lacking any semblance of rhythm, especially w/ respect to the beat is not.

Rapping on time is what connects the rapper to the beat.  Without that element, there is a major disconnect between the two. 

Somehow though, it became a trend to kinda lazily talk over the song with little to no regard to the beat.  Off top guys like Wayne & Jay (even Andre3000 did this for a minute - his best Weezy impressions) etc are beyond capable of spittin like crazy, but a lot of times they don't.  And to me it makes them unlistenable when they are lazily talking rather than truly rapping.

It just seems like it is acceptable to no longer posess the ability to rap on time, and that's def one of the biggest reasons why I can't listen to a lot of mainstream shit.  Shit if you're gonna make 1000 songs about slangin rocks at least have a flow and the song then has some redeeming value.  It may still be enjoyable even though we've heard this generic subject matter before. 

Peace.

good post, you must HATE jeru the damaja then cuz he raps off beat
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

jeromechickenbone

Flow.

I hear cats on here always talkin about "this guy's flow is dope..." and then I'll listen to the same joint and wonder if this cat even knows what a flow is.  Because said rappers flow was horrible.

So I want to take a moment to clarify what makes a dope flow.  A dope flow is all about spitting in sync / rhythm with the beat.  The flow should be driven by the drums in the song, and should stay in time with them.  Their should be a little swing to how they're spitting.  Every once in a while skippin off beat for effect or what not is perfectly acceptable, but an entire song completely off beat and lacking any semblance of rhythm, especially w/ respect to the beat is not.

Rapping on time is what connects the rapper to the beat.  Without that element, there is a major disconnect between the two. 

Somehow though, it became a trend to kinda lazily talk over the song with little to no regard to the beat.  Off top guys like Wayne & Jay (even Andre3000 did this for a minute - his best Weezy impressions) etc are beyond capable of spittin like crazy, but a lot of times they don't.  And to me it makes them unlistenable when they are lazily talking rather than truly rapping.

It just seems like it is acceptable to no longer posess the ability to rap on time, and that's def one of the biggest reasons why I can't listen to a lot of mainstream shit.  Shit if you're gonna make 1000 songs about slangin rocks at least have a flow and the song then has some redeeming value.  It may still be enjoyable even though we've heard this generic subject matter before. 

Peace.

good post, you must HATE jeru the damaja then cuz he raps off beat

lol wtf?  I love Jeru, his flows are redic...what are you talking about?

Triple OG Rapsodie

Much beef lately?

Who's your favorite individual with flow?

Out of the mainstream? Snoop has flow. Big had flow. Pac had flow. Jay has flow. Nas has flow (except on a few songs where he just talks over the beat). All better than Game's. And these are just the most popular rappers. The Game has that same, slow flow on almost every track, rarely switches it up. That doesn't take talent. I've rarely heard a Game song where he owns the beat. Most of the time I can picture a different flow that would make the track sound better.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:13:36 PM by rapsodie »

J.E.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Quote from: rapsodie
The Game has that same, slow flow on almost every track, rarely switches it up.

NillerTheKid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Quote from: rapsodie
The Game has that same, slow flow on almost every track, rarely switches it up.

+1
See these fans can't resist the rush,
they Wu-Tang for life
Scarred for life,
they can't forget the cuts

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
I like Game, but if anyone else was copying other rappers flows, people would be criticizing the hell outta him.