Author Topic: Eminem sells 600k first week...  (Read 1485 times)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Eminem sells 600k first week...
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:36:39 PM »
Thats pretty low imo.

Not for the average rapper, not at all!! But for eminem, thats low! And it is still possible to push 700k+ as wayne, kanye, jigga have shown but even these names are not as big as eminem!

Another thing is eminem has always had solid continious sales, like he had a large fan base of people who actually buy his cd and always sells a solid number for many weeks BUT he always has had huge first full week numbers too!

Imo this is a flop in terms of numbers! Eminem is still the biggest cat in the game in terms of name!

I am actually glad he never sold much first week, people are getting tired of the same old formula for first single, try something new for once. ::)

Also i give interscope there props, the promotion they did for the album was great, they never failed eminem at all, its just if you drop wack singles, it finally caught up with him to some extent in terms of numbers and am im glad. The promotion was major but the joint was nowhere near as big as lolipop of lil wayne and dudes first week sales represented that instead of just marketing so im actually glad eminem never sold much. Maybe it'll make him come abit fresher on relapse 2.

However im still not convinced, some people are feeling the relapse record and im sure interscope will see this as an oppurtunity to make relapse 2 have the bigger sales of the two, sort of like MMLP followed SSLP since thats the formula there trying to recreate. And since reviews while mixed, there have been alot of positives said too, im sure we'll not get much change and interscope will drop relapse 2 in the same formula as all other eminem records.

Anyway congrats to eminem for hitting the number one spot, he was faar faar ahead of everyone else in terms of numbers in the weekly sales but since its eminem and he has been away for so long, i was expecting much better.

pz

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: Eminem sells 600k first week...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:39:26 PM »
Yeah that is low for Shady. I take into consideration the state of the music biz and 50 even with the crazy buzz he got with the whole Kanye thing did almost 690k 1st week. It will be interesting to see how he does in the next couple of weeks, still has time to do good numbers.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »
that's pretty awesome, imo.

i mean like in this economy & given that hip hop sales in general aren't what they were when Em first debuted, those are great numbers to me.

how much did Wayne sell his first week?

Em should reach platinum status, 2x might be pushing it; but you never know, it's only been a week.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 06:44:13 PM »

i mean like in this economy & given that hip hop sales in general aren't what they were when Em first debuted, those are great numbers to me.

Em should reach platinum status, 2x might be pushing it; but you never know, it's only been a week.

Wayne did a mil, Kanye did 930k on his last album

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:44:47 PM »

lil wayne went above a million. I dont really see the economy playing MUCH of a factor in terms of record sales. Sales have been decreasing even before the recession etc but big artists have always sold well. Jigga went through a stage when he was dropping an album a year and each was hittin 500-700k so for eminem who always hits around a mill first week to get 600k is low imo.

pz

Matty

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 06:44:53 PM »
alright numbers but if they keep pushing out the singles and promotion continuously it will get to a lot more people and do a lot better overall. still potential for a few mil i think. 50 will struggle to match it without some kind of killer single and big promotional push.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 06:45:51 PM »
Shows how much downloading has changed the industry but I have a feeling his numbers would have been lower anyways.  He's been gone for a minute, people taste's have changed, and none of his singles were true radio bangers.  The most played one was We Made You.  

Based on those freestyles I'm looking forward to his future stuff more then I have enjoyed relapse.  I could feel him having fun on that Chonkyfire freestyle.  I actually think they should use that chorus for a track.  "i got you slipping on my swag juice."  That shit is on constant rotation.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 06:46:43 PM »
Yeah that is low for Shady. I take into consideration the state of the music biz and 50 even with the crazy buzz he got with the whole Kanye thing did almost 690k 1st week. It will be interesting to see how he does in the next couple of weeks, still has time to do good numbers.

Yeh one thing about eminem is he has solid numbers for weeks on end because of who he is so while his first week numbers are good for most artists...they are low for shady. He will however easily hit 1.5 mill, maybe 2 mill or more depending on how much success other singles get but yeh i agree with your post.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 06:46:54 PM »

Wayne did a mil, Kanye did 930k on his last album

well that is fairly weak then, but whatever.

Wayne has the biggest fan base in the music industry (forget just rap), so that's not even fair & Kanye sold out for sales so fuck him lol.

Eminem should have done better, but i'm sure he's happy with how he did.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »
Shows how much downloading has changed the industry but I have a feeling his numbers would have been lower anyways.  He's been gone for a minute, people taste's have changed, and none of his singles were true radio bangers.  The most played one was We Made You.  

Based on those freestyles I'm looking forward to his future stuff more then I have enjoyed relapse.  I could feel him having fun on that Chonkyfire freestyle.  I actually think they should use that chorus for a track.  "i got you slipping on my swag juice."  That shit is on constant rotation.

The best 'freestyle' i heard off eminem recently is the alchemist freestyle he did, well its not a freestyle clearly, prewritten stuff but thats some of the best shit ive heard eminem spit in a minute, he could be hitting some form.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 06:52:33 PM »
Ye sold Graduation with 950,000 but he sold 808s with 450,000.

Wayne did break a million but he's the face of the new wave.  

Two types of freestyles: one's written, one's off the dome. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 06:57:28 PM »
Word, and that was clearly prewritten.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 07:02:30 PM »

Yeh one thing about eminem is he has solid numbers for weeks on end because of who he is so while his first week numbers are good for most artists...they are low for shady. He will however easily hit 1.5 mill, maybe 2 mill or more depending on how much success other singles get but yeh i agree with your post.

To be honest I really did not see or hear alot of promo for the album. Yeah he had a couple TV appearances here and there but it seemed different this time around. I think the timing of the album, layoff, new day and age in the music industry all play a part in it, but when Kanye and 50 dropped it seemed like a event. I used to get that feeling when Em dropped, but not this time around.

Big B

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 07:14:36 PM »
thats pretty good numbers.

remember when people would laugh at 100K opening weeks?

snopafly

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 09:17:45 PM »
actually i dont think its bad, the economic play a huge influence why he didt hit plat. His last album dropped in november, the date it get dropped also means something.. Its also becouse everybody is downloading, it got leaked 2 weeks before and everybody in here was like downloading it then.. I dont think anything was wrong with his singles and promotion,,

50 cent need a slamming single to do any damage to the charts or else he will sell 300000 first week :P