Author Topic: Am I the only one that grew up on rap  (Read 1139 times)

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

Re: Am I the only one that grew up on rap
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 10:38:09 AM »
Ay dont blame us, we were out here on the West doin our thug thizzle  ;)

The East turned Hip Hop into pop music, and the South turned it into that booty shake shit. The average rap fan used to be a 16/17 yr old male...now its a 13/14 yr old female. Thank u NY....thank u down South.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

OchoCinco

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 11:07:01 AM »
ya i never even grew up on it n kinda am getting a little tired. Luckily really only got into the deeper not so mainstream shit a couple years ago so lately ive been still finding all kinds of good shit. Also i found my self downloading alot of RnB shit like John Legend n J Holiday lately to mix my music up a bit.

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 11:14:17 AM »
I have learned over the years to not be a critical as I used to be with music. If a song sounds good in a certain environment than its all good. I don't sit there and criticize a beat and try to identify what snares and kicks he is using. People are way too critical about music. I still love a good album believe me, but I don't all bent out of shape if there is a song with autotune on it.

J Bananas

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 01:41:58 PM »
i grew up on rap, untill i was 18 it was my life, now exept for 80s early 90s and shit i used to love i cant stand it, i listen to my ipod on shuffle and always skip any rap song that i have on there, just doesnt do it for me , i feel likme i can be doing something better with my time

same here.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 06:29:14 PM »
I don't agree with you.  I love hip-hop through thick and thin.  If anything I think your life has changed, your values, and what you like have changed.  Hip-Hop is abundantly alive and well.

Nope what I like hasn't changed, I still like good music.  I still listen to Joell Ortiz Bodega Chronicles because it was a dope rapper that sounded hungry and had dope gritty production.

How you define good has naturally changed.  You hear this artist do it a certain way and then when you hear someone else do something similar you don't think it's fresh. 

I understand what you're saying.  I loved listening to Joell's freestyles before he got more fame because he sounded HUNGRY.  You could hear the viciousness.  But, there's more to rap than being hungry.  People say "oh he doesn't sound hungry anymore" blah blah blah.  Why should they?  Don't be lazy with your technique but you don't have to sound hungry.

There's plenty of dope rappers out there doing good things. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 07:33:59 PM »

The East turned Hip Hop into pop music, and the South turned it into that booty shake shit. The average rap fan used to be a 16/17 yr old male...now its a 13/14 yr old female. Thank u NY....thank u down South.

Snoop Dawggy Daaaawwwaaaahhhhhgggg!

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 08:00:35 PM »
old school westcaost gangsta rap is the best rap ever made. that never gets old... i barely check new artists , most are garbage...

Jimmy H.

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 08:47:10 PM »

But the West don't get off scott free either. Like some other region is responsible for all these generic rappers spitting about gangbanging and drive-bys who can't write a decent song. How did the East Coast turn Hip Hop into pop music anyway?

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 08:48:48 PM »
All your threads are negative as fuck.

Does that bother you ?

dosent bother me at alll but if you dont liek anything about hip hop why even bother coming here to talk about it?

herpes

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 09:18:36 PM »
All your threads are negative as fuck.

Does that bother you ?

dosent bother me at alll but if you dont liek anything about hip hop why even bother coming here to talk about it?

B/C it's a message board, thats what you're supposed to do.  If everyone had the same boring opinion this place would suck.

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 10:45:50 PM »
theres A LOT of good hip hop out there...u just gotta find shit you like.

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Al Bundy

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 11:05:16 PM »
i opened this thread without knowing who started it and guessed from the title that it was from tom

low and behold no homo it's his thread

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 11:41:19 PM »

But the West don't get off scott free either. Like some other region is responsible for all these generic rappers spitting about gangbanging and drive-bys who can't write a decent song. How did the East Coast turn Hip Hop into pop music anyway?

Its funny that a music that came from the streets, and was made for the streets, now has fans who hate on rappers who make music from/for the streets lol  Yeah the Westcoast artists dont always keep the R&B bitch to sing the hook on every single song and get on VH1, or be like the South and make music for little girls to shake their ass too, but they do keep it real.  If they gang bang, they make music from a gang bang perspective. Not like in the East where rappers teeter-totter between thug and boy band.

You wanna know where the West has a hand in this? Here it is. The West broke through in the late 80's, early 90's with this rap shit. The East had been holdin it down really since the beginning. But we kicked the door down and brought some shit that the rest of the world never heard. We showed what was happenin in the West, and the world loved it. Everybody wanted to be a thug, everybody wanted to be a gangbanger.  Hell, muhafuckas was throwin up the W all over the world lolol.  We took over rap music for that time, without question.  What did that do? Inspire all the hate you can imagine from the Eastcoast.  When the West was on top, and the East decided it needed to compete...IMO, is when Hip Hop fuckin died.  There have been exceptions. Nas, Wu-Tang (even though they made a big impact), etc. who brought some real shit.  But even they werent what brought the East back as far as the fans. It was when the East decided to ride the coat tails of the West, become thugs also...but make it a little more radio friendly to sell records.  The halfway thug shit was appealing enough for the white kids in the suburbs (the main customers), and also allowed them to splatter their videos all over MTV, etc.  The East took control of the rap scene again....then the South stepped in...and the rest is history. Long live this gay ass rap music we have now...
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 11:52:36 PM »
Some of the songs that come out now are ridiculous, it's rap turned dance music.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 03:49:31 AM »
Well there are albums from Raekwon, Redman, Method Man and Blaq Poet on the way. And GZA, Pete Rock and Q-Tip had albums out last year. Do they not interest you?

No b/c it will all be uninspired music.  And even when Method Man was dope he couldn't make a good album.

That Q-Tip album was the shit. If you weren't feeling that then I don't know what to tell you. I think its just you not being able to relate to music you didn't grow up with. I think that 80s/90s music has been overrated by us because we were kids when it came out. Lets not forget our parents weren't feeling our music, just like we aren't feeling the music of the kids nowadays. People will talk about how the mainstream music out now isn't lyrical and its all dance music, but lets not forget that hip hop got started off of dance music. They were making songs with dances in the 80s and 90s. The early rappers weren't very lyrical either.