Author Topic: Am I the only one that grew up on rap  (Read 1140 times)

Nima - Dubcnn.com

Re: Am I the only one that grew up on rap
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2009, 03:55:50 AM »
I have to admit that if it wasn't for me working on dubcnn, I'd probably be listening to a lot less rap music.

I can't blame anyone that doesn't have the time to dig for the good shit that ends up saying rap is wack.

On the surface, rap is horrible. It's been steadily getting worse and worse, turning more and more formatted, generic and dumb.

I love rap and I'll always be listening to it, but I skip a lot of the "mainstream" releases and probably would be skipping a lot more if I didn't have to check most of the stuff for dubcnn.

So yeah, I feel you Tom. You and AcGrundy got a similar viewpoint, except that he's a Westcoast head.

Okka

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 04:08:14 AM »
There isn't really any albums i'm lookin forward to, except for that Slaughterhouse album and that Alchemist compilation, i hope both will be good. Most of the music that gets released these days sounds all the same, those basic club beats, but ofcourse there's always some dope albums gettin' released sometimes. Me and my homeboy was just talkin about what was the "best year for rap" and i gotta say 1995 was one of the greatest years, alot of classic albums dropped back then.

West Coast:
Tha Dogg Pound - Dogg Food
Cypress Hill - Temples Of Boom
Mack 10 - Mack 10
Tupac - Me Against The World
BG Knocc Out & Gangsta Dre'sta - Real Brothas
Eazy-E - Str8 Off Tha Streetz Of Muthaphuckin Compton
RBX - The RBX Files

East Coast:
Onyx - All We Got Iz Us
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Das Efx - Hold It Down
The GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords

I know there's more albums that i can't remember right now
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 10:11:09 AM by Okka »

Big B

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 05:35:26 AM »
i opened this thread without knowing who started it and guessed from the title that it was from tom

low and behold no homo it's his thread
lol. but i agree. it has turned to dance music.

glorified violent disco music.

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 10:04:21 AM »
And has zero interest in it anymore ?  The only thing I am checking for now is slaughterhouse and whenever Nas drops and maybe a few other cats like anything Masta Ace is involved with.  But nothing at all peeks my interest in this joke of genre.  I can't stand listening to some supposed dope underground artist rapping over myspace beats.  The mainstream don't even get me started.  95% of legends in the game when they put out new material aren't even trying with the exception of a few.  Than you got some loser telling me I gotta dig to find the dope stuff it's out there.  I work full time and I'm back in school full I don't have time to go on an indian jones like adventure digging for good music.  I couldn't tell you the difference between a lii jeezy and a young weezy.  I can't stay awake for an entire song by mc I'm so underground that the nerds get off to.

I will always listen to my older stuff, except a lof of the westcoast gangsta rap.  That shit is beyond ignorant.  But I hit a certain point where I stopped fucking with new rap all together.  There is ntohing worth listening to now.  I fully expect all the young kids to come and tell me stop complaining b/c change is inevitable.  And I fully expect the nerds to come say I was never a hip hop head to begin with b/c I don't jerk off to MC monotone flow.  Hip Hop sucks and the fans suck too.

thats real slaughterhouse is all i really listen 2. Dblock as well..

The Best of 3 Worlds

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 06:20:43 PM »
I'ma defiantly agree, for the most anyways, cuz I do get ignorant wit Remy Ma's 'Fresh' joint and Jae Millz's 'Get money, spend, stay fly'..I get in wit that arrogant fly shit, but other than that, barely any hip hop for me, 'new' hip hop....none of that.

Almost all of it has been done before, even alot of the 'lyrical deep meaningful songs, turnt cliche now....it's all just whatever. Rap music just got tired, I don't know, more power to the people who keep interests in it, I ain't knocking them but I just couldn't careless, on a personal level.

It's like Hip Hop doesn't show no growth, I mean Eminem for example, I used to like him, but damn he still acting like he did when he was in his 20's and like he's talkin' the same BS, I used to like it obviously when I was a kid, but I'm only 18 now and grew out that shit, and he's like what 30 somethang and still on the same level. Yes, I know, that is dude's persona and his whole identity as a rapper but them weird voices he raps in, esp. after Encore, it's like son, come on now, for real. And as for the new rappers, mmmmmmm, we already know. I don't give a fuck if your rich off cocaine and I don't give a fuck how many video girls you fucked last night. I don't know men, shit's all overused.

Don't mean to offend you hip hop heads, more power to ya'll, but on a personal level, it's just blahhhh. I just cannot appreciate the mind state of people today too. I don't know, I just can't take serious a man wearing tight clothing talkin' about guns, just seems pathetic. These is my feelings though, and I can't help that. :-\

Of course we all have our interests, if you like a certain lifestyle you gonna like certain shit. I'd rather be touched on a deeper level in my music than maybe somebody who idolizes a 'pimp lifestyle'. It is what its is. Hip hop just doesn't seem diverse like that no more. It's like it's all the same, identical, coinciding shit.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 06:27:04 PM »
nah im witchu im only checkin for a few groups/rappers also
everything else is trash (no hate but alot of is comin from the south connected wit that tpain/wayne shit but its whatever)
jus like krs-one and buckshot are sayin
everybody wanna sing..
everybody do they thang like a robot...

the best to do it was roger troutmant
nah shorty tpain didnt come out then

that says it all IMO
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 06:46:16 PM by enyce »
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

reesed

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 06:38:39 PM »
I grew up on so music hip hop it aint funny. I have just about everything in my collection.
MUST HAVE EXCLUSIVE BEATS FOR $16.00 AT THE FOLLOWING SITE http://www.beats4tracks.com/members/293/index.php

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 07:18:58 PM »
First, off rap started off about having a good time.  All this dance music is about that so I don't understand why everyone critiques it like it ain't hip-hop.  Go do some minor research about Kool Herc and such.  I hate when people act like simplistic rhyme schemes are not hip-hop.  It is hip-hop, it's not the most advance form but it still is.

Secondly, the MC is more appropriate term for a rapper's live approach as in if they're dope live they deserve to be called an MC.  Why did I bring this up?  I'm not sure.  Rappers still doing it.

Third, all music genres go "stale" as in the age and the og consumers age.  Most of you just were able to experience this one supposedly going "stale."  Basically, you got older, done heard this shit before and are now looking for something "fresh."  New people are created daily so naturally the genre adopts to the new audience.  Get over yourselves.  Bump what you grew up if you don't like the new shit.  No reason to take a shit on the whole genre.

Fourth, in my opinion, with the power of the internet it's no longer hard to find quality rap.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 07:27:01 PM »
I didn't even know about Slaughterhouse until I saw this thread.  Had to google it to see who is in the group.  They put out any albums or just mixtapes?

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 07:29:09 PM »
no albums and no tapes yet
they workin on a release for this year i guess and they on the rock the bells tour
but they have traxx out there as the group

I didn't even know about Slaughterhouse until I saw this thread.  Had to google it to see who is in the group.  They put out any albums or just mixtapes?
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

herpes

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 08:15:29 PM »

They've made a handful of songs but the album is coming out in July.

Tay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Bay Area Representative
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2009, 12:02:40 AM »
I'ma defiantly agree, for the most anyways, cuz I do get ignorant wit Remy Ma's 'Fresh' joint and Jae Millz's 'Get money, spend, stay fly'..I get in wit that arrogant fly shit, but other than that, barely any hip hop for me, 'new' hip hop....none of that.

Almost all of it has been done before, even alot of the 'lyrical deep meaningful songs, turnt cliche now....it's all just whatever. Rap music just got tired, I don't know, more power to the people who keep interests in it, I ain't knocking them but I just couldn't careless, on a personal level.

It's like Hip Hop doesn't show no growth, I mean Eminem for example, I used to like him, but damn he still acting like he did when he was in his 20's and like he's talkin' the same BS, I used to like it obviously when I was a kid, but I'm only 18 now and grew out that shit, and he's like what 30 somethang and still on the same level. Yes, I know, that is dude's persona and his whole identity as a rapper but them weird voices he raps in, esp. after Encore, it's like son, come on now, for real. And as for the new rappers, mmmmmmm, we already know. I don't give a fuck if your rich off cocaine and I don't give a fuck how many video girls you fucked last night. I don't know men, shit's all overused.

Don't mean to offend you hip hop heads, more power to ya'll, but on a personal level, it's just blahhhh. I just cannot appreciate the mind state of people today too. I don't know, I just can't take serious a man wearing tight clothing talkin' about guns, just seems pathetic. These is my feelings though, and I can't help that. :-\

Of course we all have our interests, if you like a certain lifestyle you gonna like certain shit. I'd rather be touched on a deeper level in my music than maybe somebody who idolizes a 'pimp lifestyle'. It is what its is. Hip hop just doesn't seem diverse like that no more. It's like it's all the same, identical, coinciding shit.

Word, I feel you on this one. There's some good music that comes out every once in a while, but I have been listening to a lot less hip-hop lately. This has even spread to some of the older stuff I used to love, I don't even mess with as much. Just hit a point where I'm not in the mood to listen to that all the time, sometimes I want to chill out and there's other music I'd rather listen to for that. Musical tastes change over time, and variety is never a bad thing. I won't ever not listen to hip-hop, even if it's only a few select albums and artists.
I got a bird's eye view

Sikotic™

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2009, 12:12:10 AM »
I'm almost with ya, Tommy. I have a hard time following the new stuff. It can be almost painful. I went from actually buying a new rap album every week to now stealing one online once or twice a year.....and half the time, that wasn't even worth my trouble.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

OchoCinco

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »
Damn I used to love this rap shit
(I used loved it)
When it was on some gold robe, cane, gold hat shit
Now every rapper on some bust the gat shit
Cut that crack shit
Fuck that wack shit
Public Enemy was on some power to black shit
Rap cats need to get back on that shit
(real talk)
They need to try switchin they flows
Cause all of our women ain't bitches and hoes
And er'y rapper out got a brick on the stove
And wrists all frooze, and whip on roads
To hear that, I can listen to Hov
You bullshittin then you gettin exposed

Yo what happened to the game?
All these niggas rappin the same and that's lame
(that's lame)
Cats hustlin, bustin they gat
Curtis Blow never talked about hustlin crack
(noooo)
Yo, Everybody on the grind
But Run DMC never killed nobody in a rhyme
They wasn't on that beef shit
And Melle Mel was the first one to talk that street shit
Ever since NWA came out
Cats turned gangsta and took that same rout
(man)
Ya hear that I could listen to Pac
You bullshitin the mission'll stop

I don't even listen to rap now (nope)
It make my head hurt when I listen to cats now
It sound like they all rhymin in one booth
So take the industry n put them all in one group
Since they all on the same page
We should be able to boo them dudes off the same stage (boooo)
For real, I still love this rap shit
Even though the A wanna whip that snap shit
Even though the Bay wanna rip that hyphy
When I get on the mic niggas still gone like me
The head crack(?), you can listen to me
You bullshitin you ain't sicker than me

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 12:54:28 PM »
Ay dont blame us, we were out here on the West doin our thug thizzle  ;)

The East turned Hip Hop into pop music, and the South turned it into that booty shake shit. The average rap fan used to be a 16/17 yr old male...now its a 13/14 yr old female. Thank u NY....thank u down South.
But the West don't get off scott free either. Like some other region is responsible for all these generic rappers spitting about gangbanging and drive-bys who can't write a decent song. How did the East Coast turn Hip Hop into pop music anyway?

cosign. the west coast is responsible for the dumbass G mentality that every rapper feels they need to have and portray a character.