Author Topic: DJ Quik & Kurupt - Blaqout is a terrible album  (Read 2638 times)

D Breezy

Re: DJ Quik & Kurupt - Blaqout is a terrible album
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 11:42:28 AM »
dont know how anyone can keep saying this shit isnt dope  ???
Southern Cali Producer D Breezy

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqxEePe3NSCrYlYZrXzm0Pg
IG - @d_breezysounds
iTunes - https://music.apple.com/us/album/what-it-means/1591041892
Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/album/7cmg61kWV0NUZ3IqcuczoC

What It Means out now!! feat. Tash, Kokane, T.Kidd, Propain, Joel Q, Bo Roc, LBC Crew, and more

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 12:35:12 PM »
Blaqkout, Cream, and The Appeal are the best tracks on the album.  Fuck You and Hey Playa are decent too.  The rest sucks pretty much.  You can tell he tried to make a few songs for everyone.  He made some for his mid-90's fans, then he made a few songs that sound like what's currently hot.  Then he made a few futuristic/experimental type tracks.  Looks like he tried to please everyone.  Getting back with G-One was a big plus though, you can certainly hear that in the instruments.  G-one's signature sound is there in a few of the songs.  The Blaqkout track esp. sounds like something straight from Rhythmalism.  Album is just too short, and with 2 versions of the same (shitty) track, that doesn't help.  I'm just keeping the 5 tracks I like and add a few others from other things he's done recently and it'll be a decent compilation CD.  I knew there was no way this album could live up to the hype.  At first it went from Quik saying him and Kurupt were just messing around in the studio and made a few tracks, then enough people convinced them to make an album out of it....so i had a feeling there wasn't a TON of effort put into it.  BTW, whatever happened to the song they were supposed to have with Rakim?  In this day and age, I feel lucky we were even able to get a taste of the old Quik on a few songs.  People like Warren G have totally left their old popular sound behind, at least Quik tried to throw a few songs to his older fans.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:37:10 PM by Soopafly DPGC »

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 12:39:06 PM »
Well, Quik and Kurupt are vets now... they dont have to be relevent as emcees anymore, they already prove what they were capable of...
They make music for fans and they advertised us that this record would be a party album.
I really dont care about their lyrics even tho I think they have couple funny rhymes here and there on the record.
And yes Quik aint what he used to be behind the MPC but well here he deserves some enjoyable beats that fits album theme (party and havin fun)
Now I dunno about Quik philosophy or future projects but I think Kurupt is about to get back on his shit and will drop a lyrically brutal record
with Terrace Martin according to the songs that got leaked

Trojan God

• 'G'
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 12:41:05 PM »
Why is there a must you hate on them so much lol, the beef between Quik & eiht has been over years ago, and you still hold a mad grudge against Q, i dunno G,  but continue to hate, we need people like u, hater's make this world interesting, lol, oh and Hey be happy Quik gave Eiht a shout out on the album.. lol.
What happened to DJ Quik ? his beats suck these days . they sound too generic and plain . Kurupt keeps on repeating the same rhymes over & over and its like he dont even put any time into making dope lyrics anymore like the Dogg Food days .  Blaqout was a big dissapointment .  They fell of hard . 8) 8)

Did he really give a shout out to eiht? haha

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 12:44:05 PM »
It's Q&K grown up.
prob not for kids looking for the 90's.
(Been there done that)

For us older peep's, We already lived that.
Can't hate on Q & Kurupt for growing up!

Dope album
just wondering, how is it more grown up when the album was meant to be accessible  ???

kuruptlon

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »
There are a couple questionable songs on here, but all in all it was a solid album.

Hey Playa is the best song to come out the west in years, thats one of those tracks that just instantly catches your ear and doesn't dissapoint.

But anyways I'm sure we could use a couple more threads about how Blaqkout sucks... fucking nerds

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 12:47:52 PM »

He did on "You'z A Gangsta" from Rhythmalism saying he'd do a track with Eiht, and just recently he was doing stuff with Snoop for EgoTrippin while MC Eiht was on Doggystyle Records with The Warzone, so i'm sure they crossed paths.  Their beef is squashed.

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 12:50:57 PM »
There are a couple questionable songs on here, but all in all it was a solid album.

Hey Playa is the best song to come out the west in years, thats one of those tracks that just instantly catches your ear and doesn't dissapoint.

But anyways I'm sure we could use a couple more threads about how Blaqkout sucks... fucking nerds

Yeah, I don't know what people expect.  5/6 out of 12 songs are good.  That's all we're going to get from artists these days.  Quik's not going to make an album that sounds like Safe + Sound or Rhythmalism, as much as we all want him to.  He said himself he's not going to do that....so just be thankful that half the album has that sound.  I think it's better than Under The Influence and about the same as Trauma.  Not his best album, but certainly not as bad as everyone is making it out to be.  One of the best albums of '09, that's for sure.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 01:01:29 PM »
It's Q&K grown up.
(Been there done that)

Dope album
just wondering, how is it more grown up when the album was meant to be accessible  ???
Grown up, as in they don't have to prove anything anymore...
They already been thru it, done it, spit & played it all. It's all about reaping the benefits now.
BlaQKout is a celebration.

Okka

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 01:06:11 PM »
You can tell he tried to make a few songs for everyone.  He made some for his mid-90's fans, then he made a few songs that sound like what's currently hot.  Then he made a few futuristic/experimental type tracks.  Looks like he tried to please everyone.

Exactly, i wish DJ Quik would have made more beats like "Blaqkout", that is the dopest song on the album. Ain't they workin' on a new album though?
I remember Kurupt sayin' somethin' like that in some new interview.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:11:43 AM by Okka »

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 01:11:24 PM »
You can tell he tried to make a few songs for everyone.  He made some for his mid-90's fans, then he made a few songs that sound like what's currently hot.  Then he made a few futuristic/experimental type tracks.  Looks like he tried to please everyone.

Exactly, i wish they DJ Quik would have made more beats like "Blaqkout", that is the dopest song on the album. Ain't they workin' on a new album though?
I remember Kurupt sayin' somethin' like that in some new interview.

Yeah, I agree.  I know they did say they were going to work on Blaqkout 2.  Now whether that will ever see the light of day or not remains to be seen, as that's probably years down the road.  Quik was pretty much retired until this year when he started to get back into the music, so I figure anything we get from Quik from here on out is just a bonus.

kuruptlon

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Yeah I mean quik tried a couple things out. The beats on the album are a bit out there at times and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I got to commend the guy for experimenting.

Dopeisjay

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 01:15:25 PM »
Yeah Quik gave Mc Eiht a shout out on his thank you's on the blaqkout booklet,
And also for the people doubting quik's music, that he will never reach his levels of safe + sound & rhythm-al-ism,
Ya never know he just might surpass that, remember quik's new solo, is next, and I'm not sure what song is gonna make it or what not, but if y'all heard what he has cooked up for the next album, whoa!, I'll tell u one thing he's back to that rhythm-al-ism vibe, and with the help of G-1, Rob Bacon, & Terrace Martin, only make it better..

elmizzy

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 01:16:09 PM »
It's Q&K grown up.
(Been there done that)

Dope album
I think grown up is an inaccurate description.

Trojan God

• 'G'
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 03:26:44 PM »

He did on "You'z A Gangsta" from Rhythmalism saying he'd do a track with Eiht, and just recently he was doing stuff with Snoop for EgoTrippin while MC Eiht was on Doggystyle Records with The Warzone, so i'm sure they crossed paths.  Their beef is squashed.

Yeah i know on youz a gangsta but i guess i understood that he gave him a shout out on blaqkout my bad