Author Topic: DJ Quik & Kurupt - Blaqout is a terrible album  (Read 2624 times)

quiksta80

• 'G'
Re: DJ Quik & Kurupt - Blaqout is a terrible album
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2009, 04:12:41 PM »
Settle down booz im expressing my opinion which im entitled to. We all know these guys arent making music strictly for the love of music this is their job and they gonna do what they think will get them that money. Now i think im gonna say your pathetic for trying to spit on me like i came up with this off the wall idea. Don't hate just cause I don't see it the way you do little guy.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2009, 01:49:55 AM »
So just because we arent feeling the more mainstream vibe they used on this album all of the sudden we're childish? Im 29 bro I don't wanna hear no playful beats with meaningless rhymes. I want rhymes that paint pictures in my head and beats that sound raw. Aint even gotta be 90's quik beats cause i was totally feeling under tha influence n trauma. Fact of the matter is I think westcoast rap is horrible right now and has been for the past few years and and some cats are just willing to take whatever they give us and call it great just because thats all we're getting from them.

When was west coast rap about painting pictures in your head? Aside from Pac, Cube and some other cats, a good deal of west coast rap during the 90s was playful beats with meaningless rhymes (IE Snoop, Dre). If you want rhymes that paint a picture in your head then why the fuck are you even checking for Quik? He's on the same tip now he was during the 90s. Dude was never lyrical. 

westside159

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2009, 11:39:19 PM »
yeah the majority of people i talk to that heard it , said it was a pretty bad album , maybe 2 alright songs .

LiLDuVall tHe CaLi-Vanian

• 'G'
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2009, 08:28:49 AM »
i think the album is good the only thing i don't like about it is that its too short and they got whatcha wanna do on their twice..other than that its pretty good album but like another poster said if your lookin for 90's quik and kurupt you will be very disappointed

In A Real Way

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2009, 08:57:14 AM »
This album sounds like tracks are thrown together. It does not sound like an album.
And Problem is fucking annoying. I hope he will disappear like Jimmy Hoffa.

Paul

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2009, 09:47:24 AM »
So just because we arent feeling the more mainstream vibe they used on this album all of the sudden we're childish? Im 29 bro I don't wanna hear no playful beats with meaningless rhymes. I want rhymes that paint pictures in my head and beats that sound raw. Aint even gotta be 90's quik beats cause i was totally feeling under tha influence n trauma. Fact of the matter is I think westcoast rap is horrible right now and has been for the past few years and and some cats are just willing to take whatever they give us and call it great just because thats all we're getting from them.
No. It's not an issue of whether people feel it or not. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's this whole "hyperbole" mentality that a lot of you have and I'm not necessarily saying it's you. Cats build this record up in their head like it's going to be the biggest album ever or on par with this or whatever and then when it isn't the record they wanted or expected, their disappointment goes into overdrive and it becomes the "most terrible, shitty album of all time". The reviews are more about your unmatched expectations for the album than the actual quality of the album.   

+1, good post
funkyfreshintheflesh

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2009, 09:55:56 AM »
Damn, I called it back in January...people expecting too much.

well quik has said its gonna be a more commercial kind of vibe so some people are definitely going to dislike it for that reason. personally i anticipate it more cause its not gonna be on no fixxers shit, its gonna be a crazy new twist on the quik sound...

That's cool....Quik can keep progressing his sound, Kurupt coming nice on the mic lately. I'm sure the sound won't be as basic as the Fixxers stuff.

And let's be honest, anyone who thinks this will be Safe + Sound crossed with Dogg Food is in for a disappointment.

quiksta80

• 'G'
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2009, 10:00:01 AM »
actually rapsodie there are westcoast cats that paint pictures in your head listen to suga frees on street gospel and even on sunday school and you'll get images of the stuff he be talking about and the comment you made about 90's stuff being playufl i wouldnt necessarily call it playful i would call it funky...big difference.

Okka

« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2009, 10:56:54 AM »
The album isn't bad, but i hope they would've made more songs like "Blackqout". There's somethin for everyone on this album.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2009, 10:58:07 PM »
actually rapsodie there are westcoast cats that paint pictures in your head listen to suga frees on street gospel and even on sunday school and you'll get images of the stuff he be talking about and the comment you made about 90's stuff being playufl i wouldnt necessarily call it playful i would call it funky...big difference.

Of course there are. There's a whole gang of them. Most of the rappers I listen to are from the west coast, about half of them are what people call "alternative." There's deep rappers from every coast, even the south. But most of the mainstream west coast rap during the 90s were doing the so-called "funky" music, Quik included. And there's not really a difference between his rhymes from the 90s and his rhymes now. Quik was never a poet.

Matty

« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2009, 11:05:24 PM »
nice to see my quote from back in january up there :laugh:

it was real obvious that the album would be 'electic' as quik put it, with a different kind of vibe to his normal stuff.

i personally think the album is a real treat with some mad sounds and crisp mixing that is light years aheads of what most cats are doing. sure, there isn't any deep lyrics or anything, but is was pretty obvious from the get-go that this was made to be amusing and light hearted. i was slightly dissapointed with kurupt though, i thought he might be able to ride the beats a bit better.

'the appeal' is my favourite track of '09 so far...'fuck y'all' 'hey playa' are also classic tracks and there's still more great stuff on the album  8)

scarface2oh4

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2009, 06:17:53 AM »
What happened to DJ Quik ? his beats suck these days . they sound too generic and plain . Kurupt keeps on repeating the same rhymes over & over and its like he dont even put any time into making dope lyrics anymore like the Dogg Food days .  Blaqout was a big dissapointment .  They fell of hard . 8) 8)

I'll admit the production on some of the tracks were questionable, but lyrics were decent enuff..

quiksta80

• 'G'
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2009, 10:51:59 AM »
You right on with that rapsodie. I guess i was vague in what I hold as good lyrics. They don't necessarily have to paint pictures in my head but atleast I expect some more clever lyrics then I got on blaqkout...i know quik never been a lyricist but I heard him on some better sh*t then this like "im spoiled so my muthaf*ckin bucket is a benz" haha. Maybe i would have to really let this album marinate to start disecting the lyrics more but overall i have tried to play it and it just doesnt hold my attention. No disrespect to those that like it though different stroked for different folks right

westside159

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2009, 11:03:46 PM »
Blaqout was a low budget album , it sounds like they made it in 1 week with no effort put in .  Quik and Kurupt havent dropped anything dope in a long time .  i guess thats why it flopped pretty bad 10,000 copies sold .  crazy stuff

Blaqkout

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
Blaqout was a low budget album , it sounds like they made it in 1 week with no effort put in .  Quik and Kurupt havent dropped anything dope in a long time .  i guess thats why it flopped pretty bad 10,000 copies sold .  crazy stuff

bitch bitch bitch, blaqkout was one of the best albums to come out in the last couple years. dont know why people like you keep finding stuff to constantly hate on. good production, good lyrics, whats wrong with you?