Author Topic: Guerrilla funk rec. appreciation thread(TCD, T-Kash, P.E,MC Ren, Kam, Uno, D-P)  (Read 2511 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
i mean look at what they've released in the last couple of months:

that's quite impressive for an independent label (not to mention that MC Ren & Kam had the opportunity to drop an album there, yet they eventually took a step back for unknown reasons)
hopefully this is indication for the future of the label.

still, i don't completely get why these artists (especially Paris) don't get discussed much on here, even though Laconic is pushing Guerilla funk hard (thanks a lot for keeping us updated!).
i mean it's understandable that they're not as popular on here as DJ Quik, DPG, Dr.Dre, Eminem etc. as their music is not for everybody, but it seems to me that the majority has the perception that the Guerilla Funk artists are so far away from what they usually listen to.
i could be wrong, but that's how it looks to me.

that's crazy right? i mean i understand that consciousness is not cool ( some posters mock it & there's actually a few posters that get offended by consciousness, even though it is obviously not intended to be),
but it's not like you need to be mainly listening to conscious rap to appreciate a Paris solo album for example :P :laugh:
though it does help you appreciate his music more, when you understand the points he's making.

take Paris' 3rd album for example:

Paris adapted dubcc's favourite sound, G-funk, to his music( i know, can it get any more ironic than that!  ::) :laugh: ), yet i don't see the album discussed often, while it seems to be a monthly event to make an appreciation topic about the past work of dubcc's favourite artists (translation: yes this is a stab at you idiots!  :laugh:)

it's never to late to check out music of the Guerilla funk label: this is coming from someone that is always relucant to check out music of artists that are new to me.
i think if you're new to Paris & you're a G-funk fan, it's best to start with the Guerilla Funk album.
if you're more into recent music, it may be easier to start with Acid Reflex, and then check out his older work in descending order.
for others, it doesn't really matter with which album you start, as Paris' is quite consistent to me 8)

then you can check out the other Guerilla funk artists, if you like what you hear :)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:33:03 PM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

Portugoal

Re: Guerilla funk( the label) appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 12:54:12 PM »
You are a Germ.

Scrappy Doo

Re: Guerilla funk( the label) appreciation thread
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:55:37 PM »
Btw. The First Conscious Daughters LP (Ear to the streets) was G Funk Too.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: Guerrilla funk( the label) appreciation thread
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 01:13:39 PM »
Btw. The First Conscious Daughters LP (Ear to the streets) was G Funk Too.
yep, good point ;) i think Gamers has some of it as well.
that makes it even crazier right? :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 01:16:25 PM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

gfunkin2

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »
As a g-funk fan of course I have Guerrilla Funk.

Root of All Evil, 44 Wayz, It's Real and Guerrilla Funk (regular and extended) are all great. Even Days of Old from his 1st album has a nice early g-funk sound to it.

Kam's Made in America should be considered one of the best albums in hip hop period, whether we're talking westcoast/g-funk or otherwise. Tracks 1-12...you can play it straight through.

That said, I've always been skeptical of this kind of "conscious rap." It's not the same "conscious rap" that say BlackStar puts out. I get angry from time to time but I'm generally a moderate.  ;D

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 01:39:38 PM »

Paris´ beats has sounded like Dre's since day 1.
When Dre changed his sound,so did Paris.
Like Dre's beats but not fairytale lyrics.... hey,check out Paris  :P :laugh: ;)

yeah we talked about that before ;)

it's so close, it's crazy.
Paris is a clever dude  :laugh:

As a g-funk fan of course I have Guerrilla Funk.

Root of All Evil, 44 Wayz, It's Real and Guerrilla Funk (regular and extended) are all great. Even Days of Old from his 1st album has a nice early g-funk sound to it.

Kam's Made in America should be considered one of the best albums in hip hop period, whether we're talking westcoast/g-funk or otherwise. Tracks 1-12...you can play it straight through.

That said, I've always been skeptical of this kind of "conscious rap." It's not the same "conscious rap" that say BlackStar puts out. I get angry from time to time but I'm generally a moderate.  ;D
i should have been more specific, as g-funk fans like you have listened to Guerrilla funk  ;)

anyway, about "conscious rap", i see what you mean.
by the way, what part of it, makes you angry?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 12:31:24 AM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

Regime*Rida

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 11:07:28 PM »
Ieen a Paris fan since I got "the devil made me do it" back in 93-94 I think! I like the beats and he always got something to say. He's a smart dude so a long as he keeps droppin albums I'll get buying them...

Peace
She started letting me and my boys hit together
Me and Pac hit the slot now it's out in the open
Didn't take long, to make her get it on, came on strong
And Thugs Get Lonely Too was our slogan - "TECH N9NE"

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 05:42:24 AM »
That said, I've always been skeptical of this kind of "conscious rap."
It's not the same "conscious rap" that say BlackStar puts out. I get angry from time to time but I'm generally a moderate.  ;D

Sceptical? Angry? Why?
That Blackstar,Talib,Mos Def and Common shit is some quasi radical shit for suburban "white" cats.
Artists like Paris and Kam is the real deal.

Fuck Toby,I rolling with Kunta Kinte

i don't get it either: Paris isn't even a racist.

Ieen a Paris fan since I got "the devil made me do it" back in 93-94 I think! I like the beats and he always got something to say. He's a smart dude so a long as he keeps droppin albums I'll get buying them...

Peace
nice, speaking of dedication  8)

see, it's clear that a lot of people who've listened to Paris' music, have nothing but love for Paris & his music.
so you'd think it's easy to find a few other to check out his music.

for example: he collaborated with one of dubcc's favourite artists: Spice-1 for Paris' 4th album Unleashed; the track is called Mob On, here's a preview:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B0000243UG/ref=pd_krex_dp_001_001?ie=UTF8&track=001&disc=001
they also collaborated on Spice-1's album : The Black Bossalini (a.k.a. Dr. Bomb from Da Bay)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:02:10 AM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 05:51:36 AM »
I haven't checked any of the stuff Paris did after Guerilla Funk but I remember that album was dope as hell even though the lyrical content and the music didn't quite fit together IMO.

Also I had Conscious Daughters' We Roll Deep in constant rotation back then video was dope too.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 01:00:49 AM »
I haven't checked any of the stuff Paris did after Guerilla Funk but I remember that album was dope as hell even though the lyrical content and the music didn't quite fit together IMO.

Also I had Conscious Daughters' We Roll Deep in constant rotation back then video was dope too.
i see your point: Paris could have come with a different vibe that's less "party like".

by the way, since you like We Roll Deep, did you hear the rough gangsta remix? that one is  :o
i couldn't find it on youtube, so here's a preview
http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/media/sample.m3u/ref=dm_sp_smpl?ie=UTF8&catalogItemType=track&ASIN=B000QMLRKE&qid=1244965932&sr=1-54

anyway, if you like, you should really check out the other Paris albums that you haven't heard yet:

similar content as the previous albums + i think Paris' production got better over time IMO

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 01:31:37 AM »
^^ Thanks for the heads up.

With Guerilla Funk it seemed like Paris thought he had to use the sound that was popular at that time (1994/G-funk) to get his message across, which probably was a wise decision if you look at it from that point of view. On the other hand I seem to remember Paris was never really fond of the gangsta element in rap so that's why I think the G-funk sound of Guerilla Funk, dope as it is though, seemed a bit out of place.

Btw that cover of Sonic Jihad  :o

Reminds me of the backlash he caught when Sleeping With The Enemy was about to drop with that pic of him and Bush that was removed from being the album's cover art. 1992 was a turbulent year in hip hop indeed...

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 03:09:55 PM »
^^ Thanks for the heads up.

With Guerilla Funk it seemed like Paris thought he had to use the sound that was popular at that time (1994/G-funk) to get his message across, which probably was a wise decision if you look at it from that point of view. On the other hand I seem to remember Paris was never really fond of the gangsta element in rap so that's why I think the G-funk sound of Guerilla Funk, dope as it is though, seemed a bit out of place.

Btw that cover of Sonic Jihad  :o

Reminds me of the backlash he caught when Sleeping With The Enemy was about to drop with that pic of him and Bush that was removed from being the album's cover art. 1992 was a turbulent year in hip hop indeed...

props for your interest & input  :)

anyway, yeah it was definitely a marketing strategy to use the G-Funk sound.
Paris has criticised "gangsta" music a couple of times: take 40 ounces and a fool from Guerrilla funk, for example.
i agree with you, that if you want to make a statement as an artist, against a certain style, while using a sound that's associated with it, is contradicting.

yeah the artwork of Sonic Jihad is great  8)

also, i might as well post Bush Killa

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EmY_N-c-q9I" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EmY_N-c-q9I</a>

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Guerrillas In The Mist (Alternative Version)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IjrjofE-IUA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IjrjofE-IUA</a>

Check It Out Ch'all (Alternative Version)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uYm-RkzGzcU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uYm-RkzGzcU</a>

Something To Ride To (Fonky Expedition) (Remix)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/A734WRzCyqk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/A734WRzCyqk</a>

cedrik

• 'G'
do you have a link for this
Something To Ride To (Fonky Expedition) (Remix)

thanx in advance !

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
scans from the great Chad Vader:

Devil Made Me Do It review in Hip Hop Connection January 1991 #24

Paris breakdown track by track of The Devil Made Me Do it in Hip Hop Connection

hopefully there's more to come :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 10:42:19 AM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »