Author Topic: Relapse analysis and review by Tanjint  (Read 1472 times)

UDollar A.K.A Nino

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm sorry you had to see me like that...
Re: Relapse analysis and review by Tanjint
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 03:33:32 AM »
The album is great, and I'm still playing it on a daily basis.. The great thing is that there isn't really any song that is totally shitty, so it's one of the few new albums that I can hear from start to finish..

+1

Can't wait for Relapse 2..  8)
"I have loved you," says the LORD. "Yet you say, 'In what way have you loved us?' "Was not Esau Jacob's brother?" Says the LORD. "Yet Jacob I have loved" - Malachi 1:2

The final season of Lost - 2010

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 09:14:55 AM »
thanks d, what are your thoughts on the record?

-T

I think it's good but not great like his previous work. Beats are knocking on here and it has alot of replay value as a whole, but for me not those handful of tracks like on his other ones that get CONSTANT replay status. It's a grower so I am about on my 8 or 9th time listening to it so I am paying more attention to his cadence and rhyme patterns. 3 AM is my shit.

tempo2

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 12:16:07 PM »
great review tanj and welcome back,

i thought the album was solid and overall i was pleased with the album, lets face it i think we all thought that the album was gunna be terrible but i think what most people were taken aback by was how good/decent it was. theres songs on the album which i think are some of the best songs he's ever done. the dre production was very melodic and eeerie throughout the album which is what made the album so well produced. it was as if each song was produced around what ems lyrics were rather than a rapper just getting in the booth and rapping over any kind of beat.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »
this ain't gonna be no 24 pages

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

JohnnyL

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009, 02:31:55 PM »
 Good review.  I think there were some nice observations and points made.  I guess we're of similar opinions on several points.  One is that, I thought the album's opening was a little boring and derivative of some of the earlier stuff Em has done.  Actually, I think the album would have been better served to have the track, "My Darling" serve as the opening song, as it seems to establish what basically is a recurring theme throughout the entire album.  I'm not too into the track "My Mom."  I appreciate the message in the song and Em's use of irony that he has now basically become the same type of person that he has attacked numerous times on his previous albums. 
  Where the album really takes off for me is with the song, "Insane."  Although some of the subject matter is pretty disturbing, it is a well crafted track.  Also, I completely agree with you on "Bagpipes from Baghdad."  To me, this is one of the tightest tracks on the album.  Some may think the lyrics are meaningless.  But whether you like the cartoonish subject matter or not, it's difficult to refute that his delivery is amazing on this track.  Personally, I loved the subject matter on this track.  To me, it was one of the funniest tracks on the cd.
  While I can't say that this album is on the level of "classic" or even "great," (there are few tracks at the beginning I find myself almost always skipping over), I really do think that it was a giant step in the right direction.  I think there are a few tracks on here that could have been cut.  At the same time, I'm still very surprised by the quality of the two bonus tracks and really feel that they should have been included on the actual album.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2009, 02:46:48 PM »
are the bonus tracks dre beats? can i have them if they are?

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2009, 03:25:21 PM »
Dope review bro, on the money with my thoughts...

JohnnyL

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2009, 05:30:24 PM »

-T

Nah.  I believe they were both Eminem production.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2009, 06:57:57 PM »
I think if his depression era recordings were too leak as a whole they'd be considered classic. 

I mean the 3 joints that were released were all of proper quality that everyone wanted from Em.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2009, 07:56:29 PM »
Great read Tanj, welcome back. I think the focus on the melodies is key and I'm glad you brought it up because some would argue that's what has been missing from Dre's sound in recent years. The little phase when Dre beats were comprised mainly of loops is clearly not the case here.

If you peep certain records, you'll notice that Dre is doing legitimate outro's again. Just when the beat starts to fade away, Dre adds some bugged out shit that sounds killer. My personal favorite joint is "Same Song & Dance", that beat has some hypnotic vibe to it, I don't know if it's the guitar twangs or the angelic type voice, the keys during the hook. Shit sounds crazy.

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 12:50:43 AM »
Tanj, I have to say I completely agree with your review and I feel exactly the same about almost everything you said!

UDollar A.K.A Nino

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm sorry you had to see me like that...
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2009, 03:19:55 AM »

-T

You should check them out either way, cause they are both tight as fuck!
"Careful what you wish" and "My darling" are the two tracks, and especially my darling is INSANE!..  8)
"I have loved you," says the LORD. "Yet you say, 'In what way have you loved us?' "Was not Esau Jacob's brother?" Says the LORD. "Yet Jacob I have loved" - Malachi 1:2

The final season of Lost - 2010

--Vance--

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You can't spell Dilate without L.A.
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2009, 04:46:43 AM »
+1 for this review Tanjint! It will be very hard to top this album in 2009. Best Eminem Record since MM, no doubt.

JohnnyL

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2009, 06:03:35 AM »

-T

You should check them out either way, cause they are both tight as fuck!
"Careful what you wish" and "My darling" are the two tracks, and especially my darling is INSANE!..  8)

I completely agree.  They're both hella tight.  And if you like Dre, "My Darling" does feature a brief appearance from Dre.

Paul

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2009, 06:57:32 AM »
Great read Tanj, welcome back. I think the focus on the melodies is key and I'm glad you brought it up because some would argue that's what has been missing from Dre's sound in recent years. The little phase when Dre beats were comprised mainly of loops is clearly not the case here.

If you peep certain records, you'll notice that Dre is doing legitimate outro's again. Just when the beat starts to fade away, Dre adds some bugged out shit that sounds killer. My personal favorite joint is "Same Song & Dance", that beat has some hypnotic vibe to it, I don't know if it's the guitar twangs or the angelic type voice, the keys during the hook. Shit sounds crazy.

Yup, my favourite track on the cd too, its hypnotizing

Would love an instumental of it
funkyfreshintheflesh