Author Topic: Kid Cudi  (Read 1000 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Kid Cudi
« on: June 18, 2009, 10:54:34 AM »
How familiar are y'all with Cudi? How do you feel about his work?

I don't even have the Kid named Cudi mixtape yet, but I do have a mix of like 16 tracks of his and i'd say i like most of them especially:

-The Man on the moon

-The Prayer

-Dat New New

-Down and out

-Maui Wowie

-Embrace the martian

-cleveland is the reason

-and the slow version of 'day n nite'

anyway, I feel this artist encapsulates a lot of what I like about two other artists I like a lot: tv on the radio and daft punk, y'all familiar?

his shit is simple, he's not the best MC or singer but he does either well enough to be catchy and fun. His persona for me is relatable cause he is not trying to be gangster or a super baller but just a humble stoner artist dude...he samples cool shit like Band of horses and Ratatat...Or maybe it's not him...he doesn't have actual records out...so I don't know who's producing him? That guy Plain pat or what? Has Kanye produced stuff for him yet? He sounds like a Kanye/N.E.R.D product.....

Actually, that's part of my point...

Kanye, in the first place is a polished up Puff Daddy: A soft spoken slick little dude that samples 80s funk effectively to make new kitchy fun hip hop. Then he came out with Lupe who is a real tight MC over that kind of soundscape...unfortunately I think Lupe's over-morality and goody-two shoes persona has taken him as far as it can. Even the non gangster but still stony hip hop heads can not relate to him....he's a dope MC but a little too righteous and intellectual to be all that fun.

Cudi is simple yet positive, melodically hearwarming with slight implications of depth...depth that in all honesty, i don't think he ever delivers on but he doesn't really need to. His stuff is hella enjoyable.

as much as say, for example, this new eminem record is a great work on the part of an amazing MC and a veteran producer...you have to engage that record: Eminem's lyrics are not to be ignored and Dre's beats are treasures to be analyzed....not just kick back and cruise kind of stuff for the most part. Kid Cudi's tracks like Maui Wowie and Down and Out are old school yet modern sounding at the same time as being fun and as deep as you want them to be....I love fun stoner music and this music is that. I think Kanye and Lupe were a sign that more conscious, positive, fun hip-hop could be on its way...I think Cudi is the arrival of that promise. I am aware that he  could just be another persona being sold to me (like all commercial art) but I dig a stony humble nice guy persona over a gangster misogynist baller persona any day. Kanye and his people have implied they will move hip hop past the bullshit it has been entrenched in for many years and Cudi has me believing him....i'm not saying it's the dopest, smartest hip hop...that shit has existed for a long time through cats like pharcyde, felt, dos1, atmosphere, murs, hiero, aceyalone COUNTLESS others and it's clear that that stuff is too cerebral to get huge.

What Kid Cudi and the like sybolize is the advent of simple, but positive and fun hip hop becoming prominent...which I find fun.

alot of cudi's songs aren't raps or songs by any strict definition but they work, you know? He and his producers know that people don't want to listen to and read poems so a hip hop artist's wisest decision is to make a song full of hook after hook after hook...and that's all Cudi does is sing hooks. he has almost no verses or hooks strictly...it's all singsongy rap that flows into each other.

Cudi is the reward for America's short attention span, fascination with electronic music, and desire for a fun rapper that doesn't talk to us like we're evil, broke and stupid (which we all are to an extent).....so in a while i can see getting tired of his simple, catchy, hooky music but I enjoy it for now and am looking forward to his full length album.

I have more thoughts but I'd like to get y'alls opinions before I continue...

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Portugoal

Re: Kid Cudi
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 11:03:40 AM »
I don't wanna read everything you wrote, but IMO Kid Cudi can rap... it's just that you get tired of him after 15 minutes.

kid_cudi-i_poke_her_face__feat._kanye_west_and_common_.mp3 - 9.09MB

Elano

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 11:08:33 AM »
kid kudi is a breath of fresh air in a period where most of the records sound the same

Blood$

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:52:47 AM »
Kid Cudi is one of the best new artists to come out in a minute... definetely one of the most original as well

I still play his mixtape and I'm coppin' the album once it drops  8)

"Sky Might Fall" is also my most played song on my iPod haha
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:55:37 AM by Blood Money »

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 12:41:58 PM »
someone should link me to his mixtape

i only have this compilation my friend gave me

i don't think i have sky might fall, solo dolo, and many others...

-T

westcoastavengers.com

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 12:49:51 PM »
Way too much to read but I don't like him. I downloaded 'a kid named cudi' n there were only about 5 tracks I thot were ok so I didn't bother checking out his other shit.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 01:00:54 PM »
i'll be real, there's only like 7 songs i like ALOT from what i've heard but i really really dig those 7 songs

-T

westcoastavengers.com

MediumL

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 01:01:13 PM »
i think hes aight but that crookers remix of day n nite was overplayed to the max and i havent really checked him since. not into this whole forced hipster image.in the uk theres bare people like him so its not anything new
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 01:10:26 PM »
who mentioned anything about the U.K.? no hate, i'm just not sure where that tangent came from...are you from the U.K.?

Anyway....am I talking about buying his hipster image? Nah. I admit, the persona that comes off in his music appeals to me but I don't even know what the dude looks like. I don't watch music videos, I don't watch interviews, I don't look for pics and check myspaces...so I am talking purely about the music...at the most I'll mention the persona that comes off in the music.

what is crooker's remix? that whack ass fast version of day n night?

-T

westcoastavengers.com

MediumL

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 01:14:15 PM »
yer the club shit. i dont mind some club music but that was a cheap hit. yer im from the uk and this whole hipster music/image gets kinda rpeetitive. i dont smoke weed or wateva so i guess i dont give a fuck about what musics good for smoking to but id take lupe of him anyday.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Big B

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 02:05:24 PM »
i am not familiar with kid cudi

who is he?

OchoCinco

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 03:14:15 PM »
well i figured there was some interest in his music so i upped a couple tapes. check here

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=221693.0

JAZ

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 04:32:53 PM »
the day n night crookers remix is in continuously replay here since winter 08. at first i thought it was dope. but a year and a half later its getting annoying. it makes me wanna ignore everything cudi does. 

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 04:53:41 PM »
i guess i understand but i see that as ridiculous, he has other shit that has nothing to do with that song...but to each their own.

so, cudi hasn't been like a huge hit among the dubcc community?

it's funny, every time i find a rapper that really speaks to me it makes sense to me that that rapper would hit big on the Dub but it is never the case.

I still can't believe Murs and Mac Dre never really got a gang of love on these boards....

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Man On The Moon

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'll Be Posted With My Blunt and A Brew...
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 04:58:23 PM »
"A Kid Named Cudi" is a very good mixtape. Check that out!