Author Topic: WideAwake reveals Death Row Records Plans  (Read 2821 times)

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: WideAwake reveals Death Row Records Plans
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
Damn Chronic pushed back again, interesting that its now coming with 4 unreleased tracks instead of 2 though!

Blasphemy

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 01:09:51 AM »
Is anyone else as happy as me ???I never though I'd get to see Death Row rule the industry once again. WideAwake has my full fucking respect. Death Row Records Untouchable again.Let The G-Funk Era Redux begin.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 01:16:02 AM »
pushed back for what? reveal the truth.

Exodus

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 02:02:25 AM »
Really good news.
A box set including 4 cds and unseen footage sounds great :) I hope the 2PAC sessions footage :rock:

Mietek23

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 02:13:26 AM »
This really sounds great - now let's just hope they gonna stick to their words and release that material...

Giesuz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Veterano
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 02:21:21 AM »
this are very good news, i`m really exited as long as they keep everything original. i will buy all their releases

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 03:30:46 AM »
Wideawake should have been allowed to buy the released catalog only, the rest should have been kept in the vault. Bootleggers would make sure the stuff gets out one way or another and thanks to the good people who are willing to share and leak it everybody would be able to enjoy it.

Let that Death Row jinx continue and see how NOTHING gets released by this company.
If nothing is going to get released, why does it matter what they are allowed to buy? I don't see what you are angry about. It seems like a win-win situation for everyone.

Is anyone else as happy as me ???I never though I'd get to see Death Row rule the industry once again. WideAwake has my full fucking respect. Death Row Records Untouchable again.Let The G-Funk Era Redux begin.

^^ LOL leave the drugs alone man.

But this is my exact problem I have with this whole Wideawake thing: They might have acuired all of the assets but they are NOT nor will they ever be Death Row Records.

First of all it may seem cool that some of that unreleased material MIGHT finally see the light of day, but it still remains to be seen when and more importantly: in what form. Since they owe the stuff I'm assuming they have 100% free control of it which means that they can go the same route as Afeni Shakur; make a little change here and there put this on take this off etc etc. I'm not saying that is what is going to happen but this quote from the article already got me suspicious:

"Evergreen also got new artists -- although he wouldn't reveal who -- to record remixes of a number of songs from the catalogs for several video games."  :grumpy:

Besides Death Row's reign at the top didn't even take place in this century so it would seem logical for Wideawake to alter, edit or whatever some of the content to make it more, let's say accessible to some of today's music consumers.

But even if they did release any unreleased material in its OG form it still would not change the fact that Wideawake is NOT Death Row Records. Death Row has been dead the minute the company got taken over by the bankruptcy trustee which resulted in the former co-founder/CEO of the label losing all control of it including the master recordings. As a true fan I say that was really the end of one of the most legendary labels of all time. Wideawake may have the music, video material and what else they might have but they are not Death Row Records. I say this as a fan of the label, I look past the fact that the unreleased material may have a better change to be released cause I would much rather have seen the label operate in its original form before it was taken over. At least it was a real label back then. You could really call it Death Row Records.

Now I know Suge Knight doesn't get alot of love around here (or in the industry for that matter) so let's twist it around a little: replace Suge Knight with Dr. Dre and Death Row with Aftermath. I'm not a big Aftermath fan but if I was I wouldn't be happen about some other company being able to take over as a result of a bankruptcy case and then do as they please, using the Aftermath logo and name releasing material as they see fit all while there is no Dr. Dre or any actual (Aftermath) artists. How could it be Aftermath when the company has been taken over? When there's no Dre? When there are no artists cause there isn't a real label for them to be on?

I think George Pryce once said it best: Without Suge Knight there is no Death Row Records.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 03:35:31 AM by The "Untouchable" DJR »

~Loyalty Is Everything~

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 04:02:05 AM »
I personally dont care what label releases the music as long as its un tampered. Its the quality of the music that counts and not what label is on the back of the case.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 04:10:56 AM »
Without Dr. Dre there is no Death Row Records.

Giesuz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Veterano
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 04:18:06 AM »
I personally dont care what label releases the music as long as its un tampered. Its the quality of the music that counts and not what label is on the back of the case.

i agree, when its untampered its Death Row in it even when Bad Boy label on the backside

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 04:41:53 AM »
Without Dr. Dre there is no Death Row Records.

Biggest misconception in hip hop.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

kuruptDPG

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 05:03:53 AM »
i hope those 2 releases come out (the chronic & 4 cd's) but i dont think they will be

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 06:47:47 AM »
Wideawake should have been allowed to buy the released catalog only, the rest should have been kept in the vault. Bootleggers would make sure the stuff gets out one way or another and thanks to the good people who are willing to share and leak it everybody would be able to enjoy it.

Let that Death Row jinx continue and see how NOTHING gets released by this company.
If nothing is going to get released, why does it matter what they are allowed to buy? I don't see what you are angry about. It seems like a win-win situation for everyone.

^^ LOL leave the drugs alone man.

But this is my exact problem I have with this whole Wideawake thing: They might have acuired all of the assets but they are NOT nor will they ever be Death Row Records.

First of all it may seem cool that some of that unreleased material MIGHT finally see the light of day, but it still remains to be seen when and more importantly: in what form. Since they owe the stuff I'm assuming they have 100% free control of it which means that they can go the same route as Afeni Shakur; make a little change here and there put this on take this off etc etc. I'm not saying that is what is going to happen but this quote from the article already got me suspicious:

"Evergreen also got new artists -- although he wouldn't reveal who -- to record remixes of a number of songs from the catalogs for several video games."  :grumpy:

Besides Death Row's reign at the top didn't even take place in this century so it would seem logical for Wideawake to alter, edit or whatever some of the content to make it more, let's say accessible to some of today's music consumers.

But even if they did release any unreleased material in its OG form it still would not change the fact that Wideawake is NOT Death Row Records. Death Row has been dead the minute the company got taken over by the bankruptcy trustee which resulted in the former co-founder/CEO of the label losing all control of it including the master recordings. As a true fan I say that was really the end of one of the most legendary labels of all time. Wideawake may have the music, video material and what else they might have but they are not Death Row Records. I say this as a fan of the label, I look past the fact that the unreleased material may have a better change to be released cause I would much rather have seen the label operate in its original form before it was taken over. At least it was a real label back then. You could really call it Death Row Records.

Now I know Suge Knight doesn't get alot of love around here (or in the industry for that matter) so let's twist it around a little: replace Suge Knight with Dr. Dre and Death Row with Aftermath. I'm not a big Aftermath fan but if I was I wouldn't be happen about some other company being able to take over as a result of a bankruptcy case and then do as they please, using the Aftermath logo and name releasing material as they see fit all while there is no Dr. Dre or any actual (Aftermath) artists. How could it be Aftermath when the company has been taken over? When there's no Dre? When there are no artists cause there isn't a real label for them to be on?

I think George Pryce once said it best: Without Suge Knight there is no Death Row Records.

Suge Knight had his chance, but he blew it.

move on

MediumL

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 06:58:10 AM »
^^^ exactly. Dude fucked over too many people and tried to dodge the law and lost. Its the artists I care about not some overweight bodyguard. If they drop new untouched 2Pac along with Quik, DPG, Snoop, Rage etc i'm sure nobody's gonna give a fuck whether their moneys going to Suge or a Canadian couple.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

hobomotel

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 07:23:28 AM »
All i want them to release is some Danny Boy, Jewel and B-rezell stuff.