Author Topic: WideAwake reveals Death Row Records Plans  (Read 2819 times)

DTG Entertainment

Re: WideAwake reveals Death Row Records Plans
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2009, 10:58:10 AM »
Wideawake should have been allowed to buy the released catalog only, the rest should have been kept in the vault. Bootleggers would make sure the stuff gets out one way or another and thanks to the good people who are willing to share and leak it everybody would be able to enjoy it.

Let that Death Row jinx continue and see how NOTHING gets released by this company.
If nothing is going to get released, why does it matter what they are allowed to buy? I don't see what you are angry about. It seems like a win-win situation for everyone.

Is anyone else as happy as me ???I never though I'd get to see Death Row rule the industry once again. WideAwake has my full fucking respect. Death Row Records Untouchable again.Let The G-Funk Era Redux begin.

^^ LOL leave the drugs alone man.

But this is my exact problem I have with this whole Wideawake thing: They might have acuired all of the assets but they are NOT nor will they ever be Death Row Records.

First of all it may seem cool that some of that unreleased material MIGHT finally see the light of day, but it still remains to be seen when and more importantly: in what form. Since they owe the stuff I'm assuming they have 100% free control of it which means that they can go the same route as Afeni Shakur; make a little change here and there put this on take this off etc etc. I'm not saying that is what is going to happen but this quote from the article already got me suspicious:

"Evergreen also got new artists -- although he wouldn't reveal who -- to record remixes of a number of songs from the catalogs for several video games."  :grumpy:

Besides Death Row's reign at the top didn't even take place in this century so it would seem logical for Wideawake to alter, edit or whatever some of the content to make it more, let's say accessible to some of today's music consumers.

But even if they did release any unreleased material in its OG form it still would not change the fact that Wideawake is NOT Death Row Records. Death Row has been dead the minute the company got taken over by the bankruptcy trustee which resulted in the former co-founder/CEO of the label losing all control of it including the master recordings. As a true fan I say that was really the end of one of the most legendary labels of all time. Wideawake may have the music, video material and what else they might have but they are not Death Row Records. I say this as a fan of the label, I look past the fact that the unreleased material may have a better change to be released cause I would much rather have seen the label operate in its original form before it was taken over. At least it was a real label back then. You could really call it Death Row Records.

Now I know Suge Knight doesn't get alot of love around here (or in the industry for that matter) so let's twist it around a little: replace Suge Knight with Dr. Dre and Death Row with Aftermath. I'm not a big Aftermath fan but if I was I wouldn't be happen about some other company being able to take over as a result of a bankruptcy case and then do as they please, using the Aftermath logo and name releasing material as they see fit all while there is no Dr. Dre or any actual (Aftermath) artists. How could it be Aftermath when the company has been taken over? When there's no Dre? When there are no artists cause there isn't a real label for them to be on?

I think George Pryce once said it best: Without Suge Knight there is no Death Row Records.

I agree. + 1

Chad Vader

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »
unreleased RBX album on Death Row? Kilo,that's bullshit right?

Not B/S. Lol. RBX, despite how much he would have not like to have made the decision to join Death Row, still has quite a bit of material considering he didn't get to leave till 1994 or 1995.

+1 OK,thanks for the info. What about Warren G,K-Solo and Rage (is it tracks from eargasm?)?
Any info on who did the beats for RBX´s Death Row project? Greg Royal (produced RBX-files) worked on The Chronic,so maybe he was set to work with RBX?

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2009, 11:12:54 AM »

Not B/S. Lol. RBX, despite how much he would have not like to have made the decision to join Death Row, still has quite a bit of material considering he didn't get to leave till 1994 or 1995.

+1 OK,thanks for the info. What about Warren G,K-Solo and Rage (is it tracks from eargasm?)?
Any info on who did the beats for RBX´s Death Row project? Greg Royal (produced RBX-files) worked on The Chronic,so maybe he was set to work with RBX?

Not sure, but I know Gregski/Greg Royal did immense work on it since he also did his retail album. Too bad RBX hasn't worked with him in years. Warren G doesn't have an album over there I believe due to him landing the Def Jam deal, but he might have material. K-Solo has an incomplete album over there, and Rage has an incomplete album over there too.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2009, 11:14:14 AM »
Dr. Dre is to Death Row what Eazy E is to Ruthless. The epicenter of the label's talent.

Suge Knight is Jerry Heller... just some fat guys who got lucky

nah man those labels are 2 different situations

Dre left and DEath Row still had 2pac and Snoop to hold them afloat....if 2pac never died in 96 or after that, i bet you death row would've carried on thru the 2000's and Snoop would'nt have left unless he started beef with 2pac...which the 2 were not getting necessarily along at the end as it's been known...Snoop had that radio interview saying he'd work with Biggie

either way Suge did alot more for the business of deathrow than heller did for nwa
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Chad Vader

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2009, 11:23:07 AM »

Not sure, but I know Gregski/Greg Royal did immense work on it since he also did his retail album. Too bad RBX hasn't worked with him in years. Warren G doesn't have an album over there I believe due to him landing the Def Jam deal, but he might have material. K-Solo has an incomplete album over there, and Rage has an incomplete album over there too.

Greg Royal is a mystery to me,he worked on The Chronic. Then did RBX´s album,after that he only did random work here and there.
Who brought him aboard? Dre? Chris Taylor? Colin Wolfe? who?

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2009, 11:34:56 AM »

Greg Royal is a mystery to me,he worked on The Chronic. Then did RBX´s album,after that he only did random work here and there.

Not sure, I would have thought Dre did since he was the one who brought along Colin and Chris. I will ask Colin next time I speak with him.

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2009, 11:48:52 AM »

Not sure, I would have thought Dre did since he was the one who brought along Colin and Chris. I will ask Colin next time I speak with him.

Where's Colin these days anyway?
I know he was based in Atlanta for a while working with Erick Sermon,Breed,Short and Hard Boys.. but dude has kept a low profile.  :P

He's working with Tweety of the R & B group Next right now. He was working on his own band The Criens as well, but they've been on hiatus since 2007.

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2009, 11:59:06 AM »

I know he was based in Atlanta for a while working with Erick Sermon,Breed,Short and Hard Boys.. but dude has kept a low profile.  :P

He's working with Tweety of the R & B group Next right now. He was working on his own band The Criens as well, but they've been on hiatus since 2007.

They got any albums that Colin Wolfe worked on?

Nah, never released anything. I tried taking them to a label I was working with since they were a great experimental rock group, but they got turned down.

Okka

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2009, 12:37:54 PM »
It's good to know that RBX really has unreleased Death Row material, i wouldn't mind WideAwake releasin' it.

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2009, 12:52:23 PM »

They got any albums that Colin Wolfe worked on?

Nah, never released anything. I tried taking them to a label I was working with since they were a great experimental rock group, but they got turned down.

do you know why he left Dre´s "inner circle" after The Chronic?
He worked with Dre on three albums (Musical Madness,Niggaz4Life and The Chronic) then went AWOL from the LA scene,
he "stopped by" to work Chronic 2001 but that's it.

Not sure, but I have a feature planned for him on ThaVaults.com as well as a few other key figures in Dr. Dre's life. So, I will see if I can get an answer from him.

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
suge showed us that he was completely incompitent at running a label after Snoop left

look how many quality artists he signed and NEVER DROPPED ALBUMS BY...Crooked I, Kurupt, Eastwood, Nina

all they could do was be partners with Afeni on UTEOT and Better Dayz and drop Greatest Hits compilations

If only it was that simple.

look how many quality artists he signed and NEVER DROPPED ALBUMS BY...Crooked I, Kurupt, Eastwood, Nina

Kurupt released "Against Tha Grain" though, or was it released by Death Row after he left?

After he left, they even urged people not to buy it on the offical website back then.

^^^ exactly. Dude fucked over too many people and tried to dodge the law and lost. Its the artists I care about not some overweight bodyguard. If they drop new untouched 2Pac along with Quik, DPG, Snoop, Rage etc i'm sure nobody's gonna give a fuck whether their moneys going to Suge or a Canadian couple.

LOL I find it funny that people are always so quick to point the finger at Suge, he did this he did that blah blah like he is the ultimate hip hop boogeyman. I'm pretty sure some shiesty shit went on at DR I'm not denying that but people act like this type of shit is only reserved for Suge and DR. Diddy, Baby & Slim even Eazy (no disrespect R.I.P.) etc etc you just name them all these people have skeletons in their closets, shady business practice has and always will be an integral part of hip hop no need to point it out again and again.

I care about the artists/music too but I also care about the label itself, that's why I think it's a shame it has come to this.

sure, there's a difference between how suge knight is perceived by the public(though Suge Knight is mainly to blame for the negative image, as he hasn't really done anything to prove that he's different) & reality.
but the fact remains that Suge Knight is to blame for the fact that death row went bankrupt.

you should be happy that other companies got the chance to buy the catalogue, as death row couldn't sink any further.
whether Wideawake will do the right thing, is another story.

I agree with you on Suge Knight not doing anything to change his and the label's negative image after he got out, he should have worked on that.

Now the bankruptcy case and ultimately the auctioning of all Death Row assets is a direct result of the 107 million dollars lawsuit Michael and Lydia Harris won back in late 2005 I think (all other lawsuits aside). So it is really a question as to whether you believe Michael Harris or not. The courts obviously did but what do you expect? You really think they (=the powers that be for lack of a better term) would want to pass on the change to bring down the notorious Suge Knight and his company? That guy from Compton who obtained so much money and power that extended even outside the entertainment industry? That guy who had so much clout he even had LAPD on his payroll? You think they would allow that man to succeed again to the extent of Death Row's heyday in the mid 90s? NO. So what happens, they let a known drug kingpin convicted of kidnapping and attempted murder win a court case that will ignite the falling of Death Row Records and its owner. How funny is that? A convicted drug kingpin jailed for attempted murder and his wife are awarded a 107 million dollars settlement... Doesn't matter if they actually got that 107 million or not the fuse had been lit to bring down Suge and his company.

On a side note Lydia Harris has divorced Michael and she also sued Xenon Pictures (the company who released the Welcome To Death Row documentary which she also executive produced, haha now how unbiased is that documentary anyway?) for not getting properly compensated for her work on that film. Again how funny is that? The woman makes a movie about how she and her ex-husband were cheated out of money and now she sues the film company for the exact same thing. Also in the same year of Death Row's bankruptcy, Michael Harris also claims he helped start up Rap-A-Lot so what does he do he goes and sues J Prince too... c'mon people wtf...

So all of Suge's shady/gangsta/violent business practice and other court cases aside, for me this the real reason why Death Row went bankrupt: two greedy money hungry people who were used as a tool to (by any means necessary) take down the company of a man and preferably the man himself too.

The only way I would be happy about DR being bought by another company is that they would allow Suge to be part of the proceedings, that's when it would be rightful to call it Death Row Records.

But we'll see what happens and what Wideawake will do, but if it goes down the same way as with Pac's legacy everybody who is excited about all of this will surely be sorry.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2009, 01:27:12 PM »
Dr. Dre is to Death Row what Eazy E is to Ruthless. The epicenter of the label's talent.

Dre left and DEath Row still had 2pac and Snoop to hold them afloat....if 2pac never died in 96 or after that, i bet you death row would've carried on thru the 2000's and Snoop would'nt have left unless he started beef with 2pac...
either way Suge did alot more for the business of deathrow than heller did for nwa

+1 for reckonizing how it is.

Look at all of the people who were signed or affiliated with DR after Dre left, and I'm not even talking about Pac and Snoop... DR would have been just fine without Dre.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

JohnnyL

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2009, 02:03:59 PM »

Dre left and DEath Row still had 2pac and Snoop to hold them afloat....if 2pac never died in 96 or after that, i bet you death row would've carried on thru the 2000's and Snoop would'nt have left unless he started beef with 2pac...which the 2 were not getting necessarily along at the end as it's been known...Snoop had that radio interview saying he'd work with Biggie

I agree with most of what you're saying here, except that it implies that Jerry Heller didn't do much for NWA.  I think that line of thinking is a little naive.

Blasphemy

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2009, 05:11:58 PM »

Wrong After That night in Vega's even if they didn't get shot up, they both would of went down for Parole Violation.That night was fucked up everything do to the cameras.Tupac would go back to jail and his Makaveli album would be released while he's in prison (sorta ironic since some people consider it a Semi-Sequel to Me Against The World). Suge Knight would go to jail for racketeering charges.So without Tupac or Suge Knight, the Label would of fallen into Disarray (though it would still survive, just be a lot weaker).

Muhfukka

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2009, 05:46:31 PM »

Wrong After That night in Vega's even if they didn't get shot up, they both would of went down for Parole Violation.That night was fucked up everything do to the cameras.Tupac would go back to jail and his Makaveli album would be released while he's in prison (sorta ironic since some people consider it a Semi-Sequel to Me Against The World). Suge Knight would go to jail for racketeering charges.So without Tupac or Suge Knight, the Label would of fallen into Disarray (though it would still survive, just be a lot weaker).

hahaha ok fortune teller