Author Topic: BEST ALBUMS IN THE HISTORY OF NEW YORK CITY RAP HISTORY?  (Read 703 times)

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: BEST ALBUMS IN THE HISTORY OF NEW YORK CITY RAP HISTORY?
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2009, 06:01:38 PM »
^^^
or it could be that cats is too young to remember?

That too. Inter-generational dialogue in Hip-Hop has been challenging.

Chad Vader

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2009, 06:25:24 PM »
^^^

yep,and again those that came up on that period "don't remember" those that came before 86-87.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2009, 06:57:37 PM »
tough list.

i think i would agree with Hack's list; but i have to include Only Built 4 Cuban Linx; but i'm clueless on who to remove from Hack's list. :P

yeah Raekwan was a classic...but to be honest the production on only built 4... does not match GZA or 36 chambers

and Teflon Tom, way to add such valuable input to our thread  ::)

LMFAO ... Non-Phixion doesn't deserve to be mentioned int he top 50 of NYC albums let along top 10 lol.

Nas - Illmatic
Biggie - Ready to Die
Wu-Tang - Enter the 36 Chambers
Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane
Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
Eric B and Rakim - Paid In Full... Eric B is from Elmhurst Queens
Mobb Deep - The infamous
Raekwon - Only Built for Cuban Linx
AZ - Doe or Die
Kool G Rap - Road to Riches

non phixion had production by Primo, Large Professor, Pete Rock, Beatnuts and Necro....not many people can say that
ive never heard of nonphixion.

LOL so if you've never heard it how can you judge it?

htey got production from LEGENDS on their debut album....non phixion shits on (insert west coast rapper here)
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Moe

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »
tough list.

i think i would agree with Hack's list; but i have to include Only Built 4 Cuban Linx; but i'm clueless on who to remove from Hack's list. :P

yeah Raekwan was a classic...but to be honest the production on only built 4... does not match GZA or 36 chambers

and Teflon Tom, way to add such valuable input to our thread  ::)

LMFAO ... Non-Phixion doesn't deserve to be mentioned int he top 50 of NYC albums let along top 10 lol.

Nas - Illmatic
Biggie - Ready to Die
Wu-Tang - Enter the 36 Chambers
Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane
Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
Eric B and Rakim - Paid In Full... Eric B is from Elmhurst Queens
Mobb Deep - The infamous
Raekwon - Only Built for Cuban Linx
AZ - Doe or Die
Kool G Rap - Road to Riches

non phixion had production by Primo, Large Professor, Pete Rock, Beatnuts and Necro....not many people can say that
ive never heard of nonphixion.

LOL so if you've never heard it how can you judge it?

htey got production from LEGENDS on their debut album....non phixion shits on (insert west coast rapper here)
where was i judging nonphixion?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2009, 08:23:45 PM »
^^^

yep,and again those that came up on that period "don't remember" those that came before 86-87.

not going to front, that was before my time.

an older sound to my ears, i bump old shit when i hear it; but i can't say i go looking for it.

:-[

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2009, 09:40:40 PM »
^^^

It means you don't necessarily wanna be the "very first" at ushering in something brand new and expect to earn the same amount of respect from future generations as the culture evolves. While Kool Herc is credited as the first to do what he did for DJ'ing, he's merely acknowledged as a Pioneer, but the Jazzy Jeff's, Jam Master Jay's, etc. get the accolades and respect for elevating the craft itself.

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2009, 10:08:28 PM »
^^^
true that,they don't neccesary have to like old school shit... but it wouldn't hurt to dig a little in the past.

I'm with you.

The thing that needs to happen and has been a work in progress from my understanding is proper scholarship of the culture. KRS said in an old interview from a few years ago that some of the so-called historiography of Hip-Hop that is out there already is biased and poorly written leaving out important elements and information. While he didn't say specifically what it was, it let me know that objective scholarship is needed in order to sustain the culture. Since the majority of the Pioneer's are still alive, now is the best time for scholarship to compile the data.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2009, 10:27:49 PM »
you got a link to that interview?
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2009, 10:51:14 PM »
you got a link to that interview?

http://www.unkut.com/2007/06/krs-one-the-unkut-interview/

On the new album, “I Was There” makes mention of hip-hop historians that weren’t first-hand witnesses to what happened. Was that inspired by anything in a particular book or just general reading of websites and magazines?

It wasn’t one particular book – it was most of the hip-hop books that I’m reading are not dealing with scholarship. They’re dealing with the folklore and the mythology of hip-hop. They are being politically correct according to what rappers have said hip-hop’s history is, but they are not doing the full scholarship that it takes to write down history or to document any piece of it. So I mention a whole lotta events and places that I was actually at. It doesn’t mean that you’re not an authentic hip-hop historian if you weren’t at these places – not at all. But it does mean that if you have not interviewed KRS-One, you cannot call yourself a hip-hop historian. If you have not interviewed Afrika Bambatta or Kool Herc, while they’re alive, you cannot call yourself a hip-hop historian. Grandmaster Flash, Crazy Legs – same way. Even bringing it up to people like Harry Allen and Ernie Paniccioli and Chris Lighty from Violator – these are scholars of the culture. These are not record-makers, these are people who’ve been there from the beginning and can tell you – with documentation – how this whole thing came together. They’re not even being discussed in these books.

One book that comes to mind as I speak: Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop – Jeff Chang. Jeff Chang, I would say cultural friend; I’ve been interviewed by him on several occasions. When I read Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop I didn’t see the scholarship. I saw Kool Herc thrown at the front of the book for his own credibility – and the foreword was wack – then he goes on to explain hip-hop, obliviously from a Def Jam-slanted point of view – because that’s where he worked, mostly – and then he gets around to the Stop The Violence movement and totally down-plays the movement, destroys any kind of hope we have for leadership in our culture, and just breezes over with inaccurate information about the Stop The Violence movement, about even the song “Stop The Violence” that appears on By All Means Necessary – just wrong information. I wouldn’t call it a lie, ‘cause I know he’s not trying to lie about these things, it’s just inaccurate information! He didn’t do his homework! Then of course there are books that are scholarly magnificent, like That’s The Joint. That record is calling for writers to step-up on their history. Don’t get caught-up in the records, assuming that “South Bronx” is hip-hop’s history. It’s not. Hip-hop did not start in the South Bronx – it started in the West Bronx. But at the time I was repping the South Bronx, and the people I mentioned were from South Bronx, West Bronx, Northern Bronx, East Bronx – but my song was “South Bronx” ‘cause that’s where I was from. But we have journalists posing as scholars that are listening to a record and saying “OK, because KRS said in a record that this is the history, we’re gonna write it in a book” and we need to get away from that.

stillinrehab

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2009, 02:08:05 AM »
AZ - Do Or Die
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
Eric B & Rakim - Paid In Full
Gangstarr - Daily Operation
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Nas - Illmatic
Onyx - Bacdafucup
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The 36 Chambers

Not a bad list good to see someone finally repping ONYX up in this bitch  8) Nice!

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2009, 03:49:48 PM »
Ready to die

nuff said.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2009, 02:56:53 AM »
I think you can simply do your history by listening to older music before your time as a fan..  And the other part of the culture is learning and dropping knowledge of the shit you did miss, from other people.  That's also how you develop your taste in the kind of Hip-Hop you like..  No one gotta take "Hip-Hop classes", lol.

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2009, 07:27:44 AM »
run-dmc : raising hell

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2009, 10:42:23 AM »
run-dmc : raising hell

Objectively or subjective? Cause as a Run DMC fan,I hate that album  :P....
I hated it back then and still hates it.... The first two albums on the other hand.... pure heat.  ;)
But objectively shit is a bonafied classic  ;)

i know that walk this way is played out to the max but how can you hate on Peter Piper,Perfection and hit it run ?  :P but it's all good everyone has their on taste  8)