Author Topic: Makaveli and Dillinger EP  (Read 1332 times)

On The Edge of Insanity

Makaveli and Dillinger EP
« on: October 21, 2002, 12:04:16 PM »
Makaveli and Dillinger EP

This was the EP that Daz put up for sale on his website for $500 last year, and later reduced the price to $25, before 2 Pac's mother Afeni Shakur stopped him from actually releasing the album at all. Daz reached an agreement with her to release this EP, and let her put the tracks that he had on the next 2 Pac album. The fact that Daz probably didn't own any of these tracks in the first place means that he got a pretty good deal out of it. Well, enough with the history, how does this album fare musically?

Wake Up My People Intro - this is just the intro to the album, with a hyped 2 Pac telling people to go to sleep.

Don't Go To Sleep feat Kurupt - the first real track on this EP, and it features a nice beat from Daz, going for a slightly spaced out west coast beat. Pac opens the track with some great lyrics, and is followed by the quite catchy chorus. Kurupt then brings a good lyrical performance which is definitely quite old I think, as it sounds better than most of his recent work. Daz comes in with his typical hyped flow, and manages to perform well lyrically, although he isn't up to the standard of the other two rappers. Overall this is a dope track and a very good start to this EP. 4.5/5

First To Bomb - this track features an infectious female vocal of "First To Bomb" which is certainly pretty memorable. The beat for the tracks has a great bassline which really fits the track perfectly, as well as Pac's flow. The chorus is a dope mix of the aforementioned female vocals and little bits from Pac and Daz. Daz again manages top perform well on this track on both of his verses, although once again Pac outshines him with two very dope verses. I do think that this track has to be considered a classic. 5/5

Let's Fight - this track is quite short, and the actual lyrical part of the track is even shorter because the rapping doesn't actually start until about 50 seconds into the track. The beat on this track is alright, and it is only really the charisma of Pac's flow which makes the track worthwhile. Daz sounds more hyped than usual, and although he does do pretty well, he just doesn't hold the attention of the listener like Pac does. The track just feels incomplete, with Pac's last verse sounding cut off, and with no hook to pad out the lack of lyrics. 3/5

Um Dumpin feat Young Assassins - this track has a really dope beat from Daz, which really fits the track to perfection. This track features the Young Assassins, who are good, but they really shouldn't be on a track such as this with legends like Pac and Daz. I can only assume that there wasn't enough Pac material to make this song a decent length without putting them in. In a good move, Daz's verse is put in the middle of the Young Assassins which really helps to keep you listening to the track, because Daz drops heat here, even though his breath control at times is a bit dodgy. Pac comes into the track with a classic verse, which is much doper than 90% of UTEOT easily. The last Young Assassin has a very short section, which is basically only a few lines. The chorus on here is really dope and hyped, fitting into the song and the beat perfectly. Overall a really dope track. 4.5/5

They Don't Give A Fuck About Us feat Tha Outlawz - I don't know if this track is produced by Daz or not, but he certainly doesn't drop a verse on the track so I assume that he did produce it. It doesn't sound much different to the OG version of this track that I had before, the only major difference being that the track is longer than the OG one. This track a classic deep song by Pac, which features a great chorus, which fits in perfectly with the instrumental. Pac drops dope lyrics whenever he comes in, dropping some deep shit here. He is backed up excellently by Tha Outlawz on this track who all drop great verses, reminiscence of most of their stuff on the Still I Rise album. Overall this is a great deep track which Pac dropped regularly whilst he was still alive, another classic Pac track. 5/5

Heaven Or Hell Outro - just the outro to the album, nothing special really.

The only real problem with this album is the length. You are basically only getting five tracks when you eliminate the intro and outro, which isn't really going to be great value for money, cause knowing Daz he is probably going to try and sell this at normal full album price. However, having said that, apart from Let's Fight, the rest of the tracks are pure quality, with They Don't Give A Fuck About Us a definite classic and First To Bomb also a classic, along with two very dope tracks. Basically the decision comes down to how much of a Pac fan you are, or how much of a Daz fan you are for that matter. If you have to hear everything released by either of these two then you are probably going to buy this album whatever I say, but for everyone else, I would say this album is worth getting if you buy the new official Pac album and then want some more Pac to go with it.

Overall: 7.5/10
« Last Edit: October 21, 2002, 12:12:22 PM by Say Hi To The Bad Guy »

verbalassaulta

Re:Makaveli and Dillinger EP
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2002, 10:37:13 PM »
 :o .....those sound dope!!!!....i hope its true and they are on the new pac album....maybe it wont be another uteot after all

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2002, 10:50:57 AM »
The female on first to bomb is Tanya Heron she did the majority of the hooks on dillinger and young gotti aswell.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2002, 01:00:46 PM »
all the tracks of mak & dillileaked BESIDES 187um ... i wonder wher that is..

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Future Revolutionary Classic
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2002, 12:42:00 PM »
The female on first to bomb is Tanya Heron she did the majority of the hooks on dillinger and young gotti aswell.

ye and she is white! :o

This album recieved 3 Mics in the Source.....BS
Go support him and go buy it!

mauzip

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2002, 05:40:39 PM »

ye and she is white! :o

So?

min0rity

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2002, 11:20:41 AM »
Wake Up My People Intro

Don't Go To Sleep feat Kurupt - 4.5/5

First To Bomb -  5/5

Let's Fight - 4/5

Um Dumpin feat Young Assassins - 3/5

They Don't Give A Fuck About Us feat Tha Outlawz -  5/5

Heaven Or Hell Outro