Author Topic: Is it bad to look for religion only in times of need?  (Read 264 times)

H2O proof MC

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I'm the muthafuckin man like homo erectus
Is it bad to look for religion only in times of need?
« on: October 22, 2002, 12:47:06 AM »
well........  life has been throwing me a lot of curveballs lately and I dont really know how to deal with it.  Is it wrong that I try to get into religion only when things arent going my way?  Is this selfish?  By the way I picked up my koran again and it has really made me think about my life and what I need to do to get on the right track again.

Trauma-san

Re:Is it bad to look for religion only in times of need?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2002, 12:57:09 AM »
Good Question ;)

Just follow your conscience.  If you feel it's bad, and you're doubting it, it probably is, but that's up to you.  I think it's when we have bad times that we realize there is something bigger going on, so it's natural that THATS the time you look to religion... look at it like this:

A man who's not normally religious will be religious AT LEAST when he's down and out.  

Then you got another man who's not religious, and even when times are tough, he's not religious.

Which is better (in God's eyes, if God exists and is pleased with religions)? Definately the guy that's at least religious SOME TIMES.  

there's also a ton of stuff in the bible, about how hard it is to be god loving when you've got it going good, it's an age old problem.  When people are content in life, they tend to give themselves credit, and when people are going through hard times, they tend to blame god.  Since god by nature and definition is good, to the highest power, how can negative things be blamed on him?  And aren't all good things traced back to him?  It's a tough question.

In the bible, Jesus mentioned that it is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven... and King Solomon (The wisest man who ever lived) mentions that most rich men don't honor god.  

H2O proof MC

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I'm the muthafuckin man like homo erectus
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2002, 01:03:14 AM »
i'm not doubting it at all really.  It just made me think if it was wrong or not because it was such a sudden impulse.  This doesnt only happen when times are really tough.  When things are going incredibly well I am always thankful and gives thanks to whoever god is (Im still undecided in my mind)  So to sum things up I guess Im still confused and need to search in my heart for what I believe is true to me.  that was a very excellent post by the way Trauma

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2002, 01:06:14 AM »
^^ Well, then by your description, I'd say you're doing pretty good, lol.  the most important thing (just in my opinion, though) is to be grateful for the blessings you have, even if things ARE going wrong.  Like, for instance, if your dad dies, thank the lord that your brother didn't die too, you know?  That's just how I try to look at it, I mean, maybe our lives are bad, but they could be a hella lot worse.  I'm not on the streets starving, so I got a lot to be thankful for, even if bad things do happen to me.  Even if I don't have a fiance, I also dont have some chick cheating on me,  you know? There's a good and bad side to everything, and just try to always appreciate the good things you do have, I dunno, that's just my thoughts on what you mentioned.  Peace~

infinite59

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2002, 10:33:10 AM »
well........  life has been throwing me a lot of curveballs lately and I dont really know how to deal with it.  Is it wrong that I try to get into religion only when things arent going my way?  Is this selfish?  By the way I picked up my koran again and it has really made me think about my life and what I need to do to get on the right track again.

Islam does not recognize mans impusle and inclination towards his Creator as a passing phase of his imagination.  But rather it makes this impulse, the God-conscience the center of all things in man's life.  The Creator birthed us and so we must come back to our Creator.  As it says just before Al Nas in the Qu'ran, we look forward to the day when all truth shall be revealed.  We plan for it.

As former black panther, turned Islamic Imam to thousands of Sunni Muslims of all races, Jamil Al Amin (H. Rap Browne) says, "Islam is not an idealogy it is a methodology."  Meaning Islam is not just a system of beliefs.  Rather Islam is instructional, and it will give you methods to liberate yourself from the frustrating grasps of whatever demons seek to colonize your soul.

Speaking directly to H20...

Writer James Baldwin said, "Often to relieve the pressure of our fears, we mistakenly make peace with them."  What does this mean?  This means that growing up you had a clear idea of what you didn't want to be.  But in lacking a clear method for relieving yourself of that future you instead mistakingly made peace with that future.  And you are now becoming what you once hated.

Islamic writer Naim Akbar says, "We all must seek to carry the immunities that will cleanse ourselves of the mistakes of our predessecors, our fathers, and this will then bring us up to the next level on our societies evolutionary scale."  There are many social diseases being passed down generations and you need a method to cure yourself from those diseases.

It is not enough to simply reason your way through life.  Because even after coming to a lifelong list of conclusions you will still lack the faith and conviction to carry out your findings.  For example, do you feel you are becoming something you swore you didn't want to become?  

The Qu'ran has been revealed by Muhammad as a mercy to us so that we will never lack thew knowledge, the methods, and the conviction to find true freedom and liberation from social disharmony.  As Islamic poet Kahlil Gibran wrote in "The Prophet"... 'True freedom comes when you recognize your responsibilities, your grief, and you rise above it.'

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2002, 09:21:20 PM »
Like Trauma said...Just follow your conscience...PeACe