Author Topic: Crooked i deserve to be considered one of the best  (Read 8539 times)

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Crooked i deserve to be considered one of the best
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2009, 04:28:10 AM »
I stated this earlier in a thread about Xzibit, that in order to become one of the greats you need at least the following:

have Album(s) that have topped the charts, been critical acclaimed, have caused a major controversy, and broken records, high selling, and have been able to affect not only the rap world for ever, but have managed to change the World Forever, and will be able to last the test of time(IE its nots just some retarded Temp Pop shit).

Since when?  So Big L isn't one of the greatest either then? You must be the kind of dude who allows Wayne to be called the greatest alive. Critical acclaim is important I guess, the rest of that means jack shit. Anybody can tell how talented an MC someone is by hearing them spit, and Crooked can spit harder than 90% of rappers our there today could ever do. Crooked could dumb his shit down and rap like those other dudes, but they could never rhyme like him. It aint about nuttin else, it's just about who has more talent. That's real hip hop. Mainstream rap is what you described, and if that's what we're talking about, then I wont even bother replying again.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #181 on: July 07, 2009, 12:01:03 PM »
but those are some of his better songs & you gave some fairly low grades & even described two of them as being "weak", so how is that out of line to quote you?

so anyway, basically all your major complaints about Crooked are in the productions department; where i would make a solid bet that the label or executive producer gives Crooked I about 40-50 beats & he choses what to spit over.

could be that Crooked just has a poor ear for beats or he just makes the best out of what he has.

either way, production shouldn't be the thing holding him back from being one of the greatest, rapping is rapping.

I said those two songs were weak AFTER you made the post. So you weren't actually quoting me. That's a misuse of quotation marks.

Production isn't the only thing holding him back, but production in itself is an important part of making a classic song. Why do you think the Chronic is considered a classic? At the end its all gotta add up and make that perfect song. If being a great rapper was only about spitting a sick verse then the 10 greatest rappers would all probably be freestylers that most people have never heard of and Pac wouldn't even make the list.

This is going nowhere.

lol, The Chronic; i guess it has to be produced by Dre to be classic.

people shit on Nas's beat selection all the time; but i'm sure he's still concidered top 10.

& to what KaiserSoze just said above, exactly; Big L is the perfect example. he never blew up mainstream; most people don't even know him (unless they follow rap closely), but he is still a top 10, top 20 fa sho.

Blasphemy

« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2009, 12:03:25 PM »
I stated this earlier in a thread about Xzibit, that in order to become one of the greats you need at least the following:

have Album(s) that have topped the charts, been critical acclaimed, have caused a major controversy, and broken records, high selling, and have been able to affect not only the rap world for ever, but have managed to change the World Forever, and will be able to last the test of time(IE its nots just some retarded Temp Pop shit).

Since when?  So Big L isn't one of the greatest either then? You must be the kind of dude who allows Wayne to be called the greatest alive. Critical acclaim is important I guess, the rest of that means jack shit. Anybody can tell how talented an MC someone is by hearing them spit, and Crooked can spit harder than 90% of rappers our there today could ever do. Crooked could dumb his shit down and rap like those other dudes, but they could never rhyme like him. It aint about nuttin else, it's just about who has more talent. That's real hip hop. Mainstream rap is what you described, and if that's what we're talking about, then I wont even bother replying again.

LOL little bitch nigga, Wayne = Shit. I said NON-POP. Big L counts, cause he's received Acclaim for his work. Dumbass, under the previous mention criteria Crooked I becomes a applicable, mainly cause of the huge body of work he's done.I'm talking about Album's that have Lasted beyond their Temp appeal, and still get heavy Rotation today. Albums like Illmatic, Straight Outta Compton, The Chronic, Doggystyle, Makaveli, Me Against The World, All Eyez On Me, 2001, ETC. You get me??? Its not Mainstream, its the real albums that are not just some  Generic going on a pop tip, its albums that have become a Milestone with in the genre.  Today most artist won't ever reach that stuff, cause they are to busy making pop tracks....Crooked I need's to drop a Proper Album. Mainly because right now, Only thing anyone knows is just that he was 1 of the nigga's on Death Row's second Dynasty, that never dropped shit. If he drops a album, Then we can see if He's more then just a Small Time Success, but yes I can see how some of the criteria Borderlines on Mainstream, but its mostly about making that Perfect album, With good Lyricism, production, and has reached a Critical Acclaim with out selling into the Pop norm, and has been High Selling (Even if it doesn't met that criteria, it still be a good album).

but Yeah Crooked needs to Drop a album. Cause He'll never get the credit he deserves from most of these cats.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2009, 12:12:38 PM »
crooked i songs NOT OVER OTHER PEOPLES BEATS:

-boom boom clap
-this is how we do this
-my life
-trafficking green
-w's down
-game 4 sale
-g'd up and banged out
-my life 2.0
-we ballin (feat eastwood)
-str8 bosses
-bitch  (feat too short and eastwood)
-gangsta rap (ft Scarface and Treach)
-respect your OGs
-american me
-all you haters (feat outlawz)

there, off the toppa my head i just made you a mix of Crooked I songs, that if put out as an album, shit on your favorite living rappers

As I said before, this wouldn't show consistency or that he can make a good album on his own. But what the hell, I'll review it anyway out of 5.

Boom Boom Clap - 2
this is how we do this - 3
my life - 4.5
trafficking green - 3
w's down - 3
game 4 sale - 4
g'd up and banged out - 3
my life 2.0 - 4.5
we ballin - 2
str8 bosses - 3.5
bitch - 2.5
gangsta rap - 2.5
respect your OGs - 4
American Me - 4
All You Haters - isn't this by the outlawz? 4

This would make an above average album, but not even close to a classic. And no, he wouldn't shit on my favorite rappers, living or not. He's not even the king of mixtapes, how's he gonna fuck with dude's with classic albums out?

2.5 for bitch?  2.5 for gangsta rap?

2 for WE BALLIN?

LMAO
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #184 on: July 07, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »
^that's my point though.

why does he need to drop an album if some online fans are going to hear it? regardless of how good it is, it won't make top 100 lists.

look at all the albums you named, all albums when rap was at it's peak; people bought albums & rap was a respectable business.

Padded Room was the best album in years, in my opinon; but nobody heard it, it won't go down in history as one of the great albums.

it won't ever compare to the classics of the 90's (but nothing ever will because people are afraid to critize them); the last album that most people actually concider a real, true classic was The Marshall Mathers LP & throw that in the talks with the greatest albums of all time.

so since '01 (i believe) until now their has not been an album that people truly concider a classic that gets thrown in the mix with the Pac & Nas albums.

so again, what's the big deal if Crooked I drops an album if it will never be looked at by more than this board & some Crooked fans?

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2009, 12:40:21 PM »
Treach of Naughty By Nature has no solo albums

OMG TREACH CAN'T BE CONSIDERED ONE OF THE GREATS EITHER NOW HUH??  lol

This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

MediumL

« Reply #186 on: July 07, 2009, 01:09:14 PM »
HAHAHHA  ;D :D :D :D ;D :D Yep considered one of the best to not drop an album  :laugh: :laugh:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Kane Beatz Movement - The Building Records
« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
^that's my point though.

why does he need to drop an album if some online fans are going to hear it? regardless of how good it is, it won't make top 100 lists.

look at all the albums you named, all albums when rap was at it's peak; people bought albums & rap was a respectable business.

Padded Room was the best album in years, in my opinon; but nobody heard it, it won't go down in history as one of the great albums.

it won't ever compare to the classics of the 90's (but nothing ever will because people are afraid to critize them); the last album that most people actually concider a real, true classic was The Marshall Mathers LP & throw that in the talks with the greatest albums of all time.

so since '01 (i believe) until now their has not been an album that people truly concider a classic that gets thrown in the mix with the Pac & Nas albums.

so again, what's the big deal if Crooked I drops an album if it will never be looked at by more than this board & some Crooked fans?

good point

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Kane Beatz Movement - The Building Records
« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2009, 01:15:57 PM »
HAHAHHA  ;D :D :D :D ;D :D Yep considered one of the best to not drop an album  :laugh: :laugh:

Crooked would rap circles around all your favourite rappers today.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #189 on: July 07, 2009, 01:18:37 PM »

Crooked would rap circles around all your favourite rappers today.

i hear MediumL's a fan of Spider Locc

Jaydc555

« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2009, 04:40:16 AM »
Jesus this thread is still going

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2009, 04:47:18 AM »

LOL little bitch nigga, Wayne = Shit. I said NON-POP. Big L counts, cause he's received Acclaim for his work. Dumbass, under the previous mention criteria Crooked I becomes a applicable, mainly cause of the huge body of work he's done.I'm talking about Album's that have Lasted beyond their Temp appeal, and still get heavy Rotation today. Albums like Illmatic, Straight Outta Compton, The Chronic, Doggystyle, Makaveli, Me Against The World, All Eyez On Me, 2001, ETC. You get me??? Its not Mainstream, its the real albums that are not just some  Generic going on a pop tip, its albums that have become a Milestone with in the genre.  Today most artist won't ever reach that stuff, cause they are to busy making pop tracks....Crooked I need's to drop a Proper Album. Mainly because right now, Only thing anyone knows is just that he was 1 of the nigga's on Death Row's second Dynasty, that never dropped shit. If he drops a album, Then we can see if He's more then just a Small Time Success, but yes I can see how some of the criteria Borderlines on Mainstream, but its mostly about making that Perfect album, With good Lyricism, production, and has reached a Critical Acclaim with out selling into the Pop norm, and has been High Selling (Even if it doesn't met that criteria, it still be a good album).

but Yeah Crooked needs to Drop a album. Cause He'll never get the credit he deserves from most of these cats.

Big L never met any of the criteria you stated apart from critical acclaim, and in fact by the criteria you stated you're claiming that Lil Wayne and 50 Cent are better rappers than Crooked I and Big L. It wasn't me that said it. Then again someone who calls people "little bitch niggas" on an internet message board to hide the fact he knows jack shit about rap isn't worth debating with.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2009, 05:29:21 AM »
LOL @ someone thinking 50 is better than Big L

if anything really thinks that, i hope they die today and stop stelaing my air

Blasphemy

« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2009, 07:50:53 AM »

Big L never met any of the criteria you stated apart from critical acclaim, and in fact by the criteria you stated you're claiming that Lil Wayne and 50 Cent are better rappers than Crooked I and Big L. It wasn't me that said it. Then again someone who calls people "little bitch niggas" on an internet message board to hide the fact he knows jack shit about rap isn't worth debating with.

See your still trying to put words in my mouth, Get the shit out of your ears, I said NON-POP shit. Besides, I only put the Selling Aspects, cause Normally the albums that brought people into the greats were high selling (DoggyStyle,The Chronic, Straight Outta Compton, etc.). Lil Wayne and 50 Cent can't count cause their albums haven't been Critically Acclaimed successes to the point to make them great. The bullshit Pop music, and the fact they are declining on a rapid scale (50 especially). Also yes, I agree The Little Bitch Nigga Comment wasn't needed, but honestly the moment 50/lil wayne are Considered Greats, is the moment you know rap has officially been killed off for good.

Mostly what I've said before is basically true in a lot of cases of albums having a impact in the industry The Chronic, Hurdling in the G-Funk Era. Rakim's Albums, Nas Illamatic's impact in lyricism, Tupac's Me Against The World which showed how much Emotion you could put into a album, and who's Me Against The World Attitude would be emulated by later artist.N.W.As album brought the west coast major Attention, and help Reinvent Gangsta rap. The Marshall Mathers LP Generated a Huge amount of Controversy, which lets be honest around that time hasn't been seen since N.W.As era. 

Many Greats won't ever get a chance, either cause they died to early in the game (Big Pun, Big L), or some bullshit prevents them from dropping a album (Crooked I for example). Hell even some of the greats never got to enjoy the full bounty of success (Biggie dieing before his highest selling album dropped).

Then you got your Lesser Greats, the 1s who've made a huge impact on your areas scene. Again, They need to drop that 1 album, that can last the test of time... Not that its a requirement, just well....look at it like this. Crooked I is known around California cause of his Signing to Death Row, so he already gets love from us, but if he never drops a album, No one will hear about him and he'll never get the credit he deserves...

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2009, 08:09:36 AM »
Fair point, and I accept what you're saying. My take on it though is that I don't really care if they put out an album as long as they are dropping music which is of as good a quality of the music on the albums you mentioned. In terms of overall legacy your take is correct, and it would be hard to called Crooked I one of the 'greats', but I was just focusing on the talent of the MC, and for that reason alone I put Crooked up there with the best of them alive.