Author Topic: Drake Regrets Controversial BET Awards Set, "It Was A Terrible Idea"  (Read 1609 times)

Elano

Drake has addressed the recent controversy behind his "Every Girl" performance alongside Lil Wayne at last weekend's BET Awards show and said their set suffered from last-minute changes.

"That, actually -- to be honest -- was a terrible idea that I'll never do to myself again," he said in an interview. "But I was being pressed from different areas to perform, and I think what really happened at the BET Awards is with the passing of Mike, the climate really changed, as far as the award show goes. I don't think it called for us to perform "Every Girl" and "Always Strapped," and I think it was an award show filled with tributes and music and these genuine heartfelt speeches. And to sort of climax out of a very tongue-n-cheek point, and then people misconstruing Wayne's daughters and her friends coming out on stage -- it was just timed very poorly and it definitely wasn't planned like that, but with that being said, it is what is. I believe in Wayne and myself and it's nothing we can't bounce back from. To anyone who was offended, my personal apologies, it wasn't intended to offend anybody." (Complex)

Sources close to Weezy's camp also weighed in on what allegedly went down with the appearance of pre-teen girls on-stage.

According to my source, what happened was Wayne's daughter Reginae, 9, was upset that she didn't get the chance to accompany her father, Lil Wayne, to the stage to accept his award because she was sitting too far back in the audience. Once backstage, the youngster began to cry. And Wayne, who they say is a great dad, hated to see his little girl cry. So he told Reginae she could come out onstage during his performance with Drake. Reginae, being the team player that she is, asked the other members of her group to go out on stage with her. (Sandra Rose)

Award-winning filmmaker Byron Hurt expressed his discontent with the performance and BET via an open letter to network president, Debra Lee.

"Show executives watched, approved, and applauded as artists Lil Wayne, Drake, and Cash Money brought young, under-aged girls onto the stage to dance and serve as window dressing while they performed 'Every Girl,' a song that reduces girls and women to sex objects," he wrote. "In a culture where one out of four girls and women are either raped or sexually assaulted - and where manipulative men routinely traffic vulnerable women into the sex industry - it is not okay that BET allowed this to happen. BET owes its entire audience - particularly girls and women around the world - an apology for its failure to intervene." (The Urban Daily)

Press covering the event also expressed their reactions to the set.

Overall, the show was a big downer because...many things just seemed out of place. For example, Drake's performance had Lil' Wayne and his pre-teen daughter with other young girls on stage rapping along to "Every Girl in the World," which is a song about having escapades with all the girls in the world. (Examiner)

AnybodyKilla

Re: Drake Regrets Controversial BET Awards Set, "It Was A Terrible Idea"
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 02:15:20 AM »
LOL, thats fucked up but fuck they make sucha big deal out of everything now adays!!!

Kool Beenz

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 02:40:23 AM »
http://www.radioplanet.tv/drake-lil-wayne-bet-awards/

why the fuck do girls wear those stupid fuckin leg warmers with a skirt i swear

westside159

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 03:27:32 AM »
Yeah that performance will go down in history as the worst ever , that shit was tooo corny .

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 04:50:50 AM »
what idiots

Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 07:30:03 AM »
honestly the girls thing was awful (under aged) but i don't see a big deal with them performing these songs. It's not like Michael Jackson was set to be a big part of the show before his death. The show must go on unfortunately. They performed their 2 big hit records out right now, as they should.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 08:29:17 AM »
Mann, I wouldn't let my daughter listen to that type of shit, let alone havin' daddy rap about it. :D

OchoCinco

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 09:24:03 AM »
i tried to watch some of it but it was just so poorly put together. i mean they  have a tribute to the O'Jays and play like 4 songs then the O'Jays go have a speach and without anyone really knowing anything they go and start singing. BET needs to higher better ppl to organize their shit for them because it seems like they are never any better then the last.

Jaydc555

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 09:40:10 AM »
Well I think they did a decent job considering they had to change the entire show in less then a week.Of course it wasn't going to be extremely organized when a couple months of planning goes out the door within days of the show.As far as the drake and Wayne performance as far as the songs who cares jay z did doa and that had nothing to do with mj.But the little girls thing was just so badly done.How could you now know that would back fire?

Blasphemy

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 10:29:36 AM »
Yeah that performance will go down in history as the worst ever , that shit was tooo corny .

LOL FITTING TRIBUTE TO JACKSON LMAO!!! nah on the real though, Sorta FUCKED UP. Shit, I'd change the fucking Set. lol Anyone got a video upload of that? lmao

Edit: Saw it again, Holy christ That shit was sucky as fuck, I muted it after one minute. but yeah, Honestly that was the worse choice you could do lol
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 10:37:41 AM by Blasphemy »

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 02:37:37 PM »
i tried to watch some of it but it was just so poorly put together. i mean they  have a tribute to the O'Jays and play like 4 songs then the O'Jays go have a speach and without anyone really knowing anything they go and start singing. BET needs to higher better ppl to organize their shit for them because it seems like they are never any better then the last.

Yeah, that's only part of the show I saw.

The other lil pieces I watched on Youtube. LMAO

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 02:42:11 PM »
who does BET think is listening to that music anyway? girls from the age of 10 to 16 are exposed to that music all the time. i think it's a little awkward that his daughter was on stage while he was singing that, but shes heard it before lol.

"In about three years holla at me Miley Cyrus" - easily line of the year. :laugh:

Muhfukka

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 04:03:55 PM »
he is disrespecting the holy michael jackson with that shit, everyone knows his holiness liked little boys not girls

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 07:40:01 PM »
Damn just watched the performance, that shit was boring as fuck, and crowd didn't look hyped at all... Wayne shoulda shouted his daughter out or sumin so ppl knew he wasn't just being a pedo lol

midwestryder

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 07:51:34 PM »
i tried to watch some of it but it was just so poorly put together. i mean they  have a tribute to the O'Jays and play like 4 songs then the O'Jays go have a speach and without anyone really knowing anything they go and start singing. BET needs to higher better ppl to organize their shit for them because it seems like they are never any better then the last.
please that was best award show in years . B.E.T kicked every award shows ass . you have to remeber that they had to change things up because of michaels jacksons death .  this was better then any of past b.e.t awards . so you must of not watched it all the way . it was great show . they had new edition,guy, o,jays, tevin campelll & BBD perform that night .they had the best music ever for award show . so this just shows you don't know what you are talking about at all . you don't know crap.  B.E.T had people who did incrediable job organizing this show with michael jackson dying at the last minute. so yo uare totally 100% wrong on BET needs to higher better ppl to organize their shit for them because it seems like they are never any better then the last. that is bullcrap what you said
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 08:07:17 PM by midwestryder »