Author Topic: Top Five Southern Lyricists  (Read 214 times)

S.G.V.

Top Five Southern Lyricists
« on: October 23, 2002, 10:46:13 PM »
i already know whos gonna be at the top of the lists of damn near everyones list...so i dont even know why im doing this...but fuck it...heres mine(oh and if u cant get 5 dont post)...please try and put a reason or an example on why u think that person is in the top 5

01. Mad Skillz-Virginia (he can be on a track with Mos Def and High N Mighty rippin shit like hes from New York but then he can get south on ur rippin a Timbaland track...plus he got crazy lyrics and some funny ass punches)

02. Chamillion-Houston, Texas ("If u wanna see a 'G' dont ask me go ask Vanna White"..man when i heard that line i was rollin..he got tons of funny ass lines like that...plus hes mainly freestyle...he could hold his own in a cypher with the best of em..imo)

03. Paul Wall-Houston, Texas (one of the coldest white boys on the mic PERIOD...he is a close third behind chamillion...it could be a tie but chamill just has the edge...paul wally tho can spit some funny ass shit...and in a lyrical way....peep his shit..hes mainly freestyle too)

04. Mac-New Orleans, Louisiana (i think he just got some real lyrics...he can just throw down on the mic...i rarely hear him with wack verses...very consistent...not many can fuck with him as far as im concerned)

05. Scarface-Houston, Texas (i know hes gonna be number 1 on probably 98% of the lists...but i think if he battled any of those in the top 4 they would kill him....anyway....he always comes with some hard shit to say....he can spit with the best of em too...)

honorable mention

Lil Keke-Houston, Texas (alot of people sleep on him...but hes hella tight...he can freestyle with the best of them...hes about real situations...paints great pictures....)

Malice & Pusha T-Virginia (they got some funny ass punches...they got me rollin sometimes...and theyre pretty clever)

MJG-Memphis, Tennessee (he got some tight word play sometimes...he really suprised me on Space Age 4 Eva...he stepped up his game alot)

Big Boi-Atlanta, Georgia (personally hes more lyrical to me than andre...i think if they both battled he would school andre...really nobody was consider andre a great emcee until eminem threw him on his list...imo....but Big Boi always comes with more to say and says it in a clever way...)

West Coast Veteran

Re:Top Five Southern Lyricists
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2002, 12:43:38 PM »
Sorry about the first picks S.G.V. ;)

1. Scarface  - Being a lyricist doesn't mean you have to be a battle M.C. When it comes to deep meaningful lyrics no one is touching Face. Not only that but Face can spit gangsta shit although that is not he's praised for. Very few can spit a story like Face too.

2. Andre - The poet. Not a battle M.C. either but has spit some of the illest verses in hip hop. Creative, original and complex sums up Andre in a nutshell. Been my favorite OutKast member since their debut and don't care much for Eminem so I don't think he could influence me.

3. Cee-Lo - When I first heard his verse on "Git Up, Git Out" I knew this cat had crazy skills. Pretty much the same as Andre when it comes to originality. Can switch flows like he switches underwear.

4. Chamillionaire - The most popular M.C. in Houston. He is ill with his rhymes and could blow up if he had the promotion. Cham has punchlines for days and can flow. The only problem I have is his flossy subject matter.

5. Lil' Wayne - I know most of you hate this cat but he has skills. The problem with him is his subject matter which I hate too. Hilarious punchlines and has an original flow. He ripped it up on his SQAD album but failed to show that shine on 500 Degreez.

*Big Boi would be up there but since I already had Dre up there I left him off.
*Mad Skillz would be up there but most people from the down bottom do not consider Virginia the South.

DAMN I FORGOT LUDA AT #3!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2002, 09:40:01 PM by WestCoastVeteran »

S.G.V.

Re:Top Five Southern Lyricists
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2002, 01:45:49 PM »
5. Lil' Wayne - I know most of you hate this cat but he has skills. The problem with him is his subject matter which I hate too. Hilarious punchlines and has an original flow. He ripped it up on his SQAD album but failed to show that shine on 500 Degreez.

very true...he was gonna be on my honorable mention list but i already had a gang of foos...he really suprised me on that Sqad album and on his new shit...he stepped up...props for recognizing the real