Author Topic: Guess What Religion The Suspect In The Sniper Case Is?  (Read 2518 times)

CWalker187

Guess What Religion The Suspect In The Sniper Case Is?
« on: October 24, 2002, 02:14:08 PM »
Here is a hint: it starts with "M" and ends with "uslim".

Arrests Made In Sniper Case

FREDERICK, Md. (Oct. 24) - One of America's most extraordinary manhunts culminated Thursday in the arrests of an Army veteran and a teenager, asleep at a roadside rest stop - perpetrators, authorities believed, of a bloody, three-week sniping spree that left 10 people dead and multitudes paralyzed by fear.

John Allen Muhammad, 41, and 17-year-old John Lee Malvo were not immediately charged, but law-enforcement sources told The Associated Press investigators were certain they were the culprits.

One such source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said a gun found in the suspects' car appeared to use .223-calber bullets - the fatal calling card in a series of sniper attacks that began Oct. 2, with the killing of James D. Martin in a grocery store parking lot in Wheaton, Md.

Police also found a scope and a tripod in the car, the official said.

The suspects, it seems, might have been tripped up by their own arrogance; authorities said they received a call on the task force tip line taking responsibility for the sniper attacks and for something in ''Montgomery.''

Evidence from a Sept. 21 liquor store heist in Montgomery, Ala., which left one employee dead and another injured, then led police to Malvo and Muhammad.

But who were these two, and why might they have unleashed terror on Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia?

According to The Seattle Times, Muhammad is a veteran of the Gulf War who converted to Islam. Malvo, described in some media reports as his stepson, is a citizen of Jamaica. The Times quoted federal sources as saying the two had been known to speak sympathetically about the hijackers who attacked the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

But there was no indication, authorities said, that they were linked to al-Qaida or any terrorist group.

The two were arrested without incident by members of the sniper task force at a rest stop in Frederick County, 50 miles northwest of Washington. The time was 3:19 a.m.

Three hours earlier, Montgomery County Police Chief Charles Moose had announced that Muhammad and Malvo were being sought and issued a nationwide alert for a blue, 1990 Chevrolet Caprice with New Jersey plates. A motorist and an attendant spotted the car and called police.

All told, 13 people were shot in the serial snipings. Three survived, among them a 13-year-old boy, gunned down as he arrived at school. The sniper left notes claiming to be God, and warning that children were not safe ''anywhere, at any time.''

Thousands of children stayed home from school, and motorists avoided filling their tanks at gas stations where they might be vulnerable to a shot.

Some residents greeted Thursday's news as if it was the first glimmer of sunrise after the darkness that stretched three weeks.

''I feel a lot safer today,'' said Mary Beth Roberts of Stafford County, Va. ''Everyone's smiling and getting out more.''

She was shopping at the Michaels craft store in Fredericksburg, Va., where a 43-year-old woman was critically wounded on Oct. 4; a regular customer, Roberts felt safe to return only after news of the arrests.

Police, who had been under enormous pressure to stop the shootings, turned their attention to gathering evidence that Muhammad and Malvo were responsible. The first item was Malvo's fingerprint, found at the scene of the Alabama robbery on a magazine about weapons, according to Montgomery Mayor Bobby Bright.

Bright did not specify whether the print was found before or after the telephone call claiming responsibility for the sniper attacks and the liquor store holdup, but it was the crucial break.

A composite sketch of the suspect in the liquor-store shootings was made and ''there are some very good similarities'' to Malvo, Montgomery Police Chief John Wilson said. He said the gun used in Alabama was not the same as the one in the Washington, D.C.-area shootings, however.

Police traced Malvo to a house in Tacoma, Wash., that was searched Wednesday. He had been living in the house with Muhammad, a source told the AP.

FBI agents carted away potential evidence, including a tree stump from the yard that investigators planned to examine for bullets or bullet fragments. Larry Scott, a spokesman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, said the stump would be brought to the agency's lab in Rockville, Md.

Pfc. Chris Waters, a Fort Lewis soldier who lives across the street from the Tacoma home, said he called police after hearing gunshots in the neighborhood nearly every day in January.

''It sounded like a high-powered rifle such as an M-16,'' he said. ''Never more than three shots at a time. Pow. Pow. Pow.''

The Seattle Times reported that Muhammad was stationed at Fort Lewis outside Tacoma in the 1980s, served in the Gulf War and was later stationed at Fort Ord, Calif.

Muhammad's training in the Army was as a machinist, a senior defense official told the AP. The official said Muhammad had no sniper training in the Army. Another official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, told the AP that Muhammad was discharged in the mid-1990s.

Muhammad changed his name last year from John Allen Williams, years after he converted to Islam, investigators told the Times.

FBI agents visited Bellingham High School, 90 miles north of Seattle, on Wednesday. Mayor Mark Asmundson said Muhammad and Malvo had been in the area until about nine months ago.

Malvo attended high school in Bellingham last year. Police Chief Randy Carroll said his force had known about Malvo since December 2001, when the high school reported the youth arrived at the school without transcripts or other papers.

At one point, he lived with Muhammad as father and son at the Lighthouse Mission, a homeless shelter, Carroll said.

AP-NY-10-24-02 1450EDT

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Doggystylin

Re:Guess What Religion The Suspect In The Sniper Case Is?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2002, 03:24:59 PM »
god damnit, these fucks are ruinin our reputation and makin the real muslims look bad....this is pissin me off, now people will really look at muslims bad.

RAPQUAKE

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2002, 03:25:48 PM »
HAHA yeah man, i remember in the start ppl were sayin this cant be an islamic man...this is prolly just some nutcase who forgot his medication...
but after all its just another member of the "world's most peaceful religion" ::)
HA!

RAPQUAKE

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2002, 03:28:20 PM »
god damnit, these fucks are ruinin our reputation and makin the real muslims look bad....this is pissin me off, now people will really look at muslims bad.

yeah I know doggy, it must suck to be a muslim.  8)

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2002, 03:34:48 PM »
didnt he belong to the us army?? ::)

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2002, 03:36:54 PM »
Yeah, he did, then he converted and changed his last name, apparently.  They said he hasn't been critical of the U.S. government or anything, though, I think it's just a nutcase, and it's not religiously motivated.

Doggystylin

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2002, 03:40:25 PM »

yeah I know doggy, it must suck to be a muslim.  8)

go away......far far away

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2002, 03:45:55 PM »
It's fucked up. Homeboy and his step-son are just nuts I think. I'm suprise they caught him actually. It seemed they'd never find him.

MidnightPills

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2002, 04:18:43 PM »
It's fucked up. Homeboy and his step-son are just nuts I think. I'm suprise they caught him actually. It seemed they'd never find him.

i agree, i dont think religion was his real motive... but the media would like to inhance that idea with 9/11 and the whole shabang

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2002, 05:08:50 PM »
Yeah, he did, then he converted and changed his last name, apparently.  They said he hasn't been critical of the U.S. government or anything, though, I think it's just a nutcase, and it's not religiously motivated.

thats what i belive too

verbalassaulta

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2002, 05:59:35 PM »
HAHAHA...i knew it was some dumb scumbag muslim...wonder why this is no surprise to anyone....typical muslim behavior....its about time bush takes charge and bombs the whole middle east and gets rid of most of them

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2002, 06:19:50 PM »
Who cares if the guy was a muslim? There are nut cases in every religion. There is no need to keep on exploiting every single wrong doing a muslim does. The actions of a few does not speak for over a billion people. Stop all this hate. Please.

Peace.

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2002, 06:37:04 PM »
Who cares if the guy was a muslim? There are nut cases in every religion. There is no need to keep on exploiting every single wrong doing a muslim does. The actions of a few does not speak for over a billion people. Stop all this hate. Please.

Peace.

Word I know, ignorant narrow minded fools,its pathetic really how they fail to realize that, one

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2002, 07:37:06 PM »
i cant recall somebody mentioning reilgion concerning the oklahoma bomber ::)

JaViDaNeah

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2002, 07:49:14 PM »
i cant recall somebody mentioning reilgion concerning the oklahoma bomber  

and i cant recall somebody mentioning religion during the north hollywood shooting. or blaming all catholics are rapists.  

To the ignorant people on this board...wake the fuck up. And realize that people are just sick and crazy in this hell we live in.  and people that do stupid shit like that are not true followers of their religion.  we used to live in a time where color was the reason of a crime, now its starting to be the religion.  What kind of discrimination will my children live in?  Genes?!