Author Topic: Dubcnn: Exclusive Interview With DJ KHALIL - Part 1 (Dre/Detox/Self Scientific)  (Read 1363 times)

Nima - Dubcnn.com

www.dubcnn.com

Dubcnn sat down with possibly the hottest producer in the game right now, DJ Khalil for an in-depth 2-part interview. In this first part, we discuss DJ Khalil's upbringing, being the son of a NBA player and how he first got introduced to music. Khalil tells us about his inspirations and his first steps as a musician and how he ended up meeting his partner-n-rhyme Chace Infinite to form Self Scientific.

We then get into his relationship with Dr. Dre and Aftermath, on which we tried to get Khalil to talk as much as possible.

As you know, it's hard to find out what's really going on in the Aftermath studios, but Khalil opens up about the recent Detox leaks and Dre's reaction to them, what he thinks of fans criticizing Dre's perfectionism and why he admires his mentor as much as he does.

Check out Part 1 of the interview:

Exclusive Interview With DJ Khalil (Part 1) (July '09)

Look out for Part 2 dropping on Monday, where Khalil describes a typical studio session with Dre, talks about Bishop Lamont, and his current projects. We talk about the Slaughterhouse album, producing the Clipse & Kanye track "Kinda Like A Big Deal", Khalil's group the New Royales, and what else we can expect from DJ Khalil in the times to come.

woof

Dubcnn:  What I don't get is, why do these people who write for him, all write the same sh-t?! Isn't he tired of hearing that he's the greatest, he brought you the Chronic, I'm in my 6-4? Nobody can come up with something creative for Dre?

Very good question!!

dope interview

MediumL

major props
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

00X2X

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
good read . DJ KHALIL hottest out  8)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/rW6GVvOgcsY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/rW6GVvOgcsY</a>

Blasphemy

why the fuck is it posted on the site twice? lol

Edit: Ah I see, in the second post you bold the rappers he's worked with. I guess either the Edit button didn't work or it accidentally posted it twice... :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 11:25:50 AM by Blasphemy »

Okka

Good interview, lookin' forward to the second part.

Chad

DOPE!!!  Nice work Nima.... 8)
Resume: BBC / HipHopDX / TMZ / Billboard / XXL / LA Weekly / AFH // Ice Cube. MC Ren . Sir Jinx . DOC . Too Short . Fredwreck . DJ Jazzy Jeff

www.chadkiser.com
Twitter:  @chadmkiser
IG:  chadmkiser

Nima - Dubcnn.com

why the fuck is it posted on the site twice? lol

Edit: Ah I see, in the second post you bold the rappers he's worked with. I guess either the Edit button didn't work or it accidentally posted it twice... :P

Yeah my bad I just fixed it. Thanks :)

Appreciate the feedback, keep it coming!

OcToExtraordinaire

• Hookup Maestro
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Finally :D

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
Dubcnn: Why do these people who write for him, all write the same sh-t? Nobody can come up with something creative for Dre?

Khalil: When you start creating for him that way, that's a first sign that he's not even gonna listen to it.
Haha, good to hear this.

Nima - Dubcnn.com

Finally :D

Haha yeah I know you've been waiting for a minute! Hope it was worth it. I thought the interview came out nice, Khalil is such a humble and down to earth person.

Nima - Dubcnn.com

Dubcnn:  What I don't get is, why do these people who write for him, all write the same sh-t?! Isn't he tired of hearing that he's the greatest, he brought you the Chronic, I'm in my 6-4? Nobody can come up with something creative for Dre?

Very good question!!

dope interview

Yeah man I had to ask that, it baffles me when I hear what they write for him.

OcToExtraordinaire

• Hookup Maestro
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Haha yeah I know you've been waiting for a minute!
Yeah. I remember, i've asked him about that interview, it was in february. The man is just busy as hell.
Next up, Dr Dre.

Nima - Dubcnn.com

Haha yeah I know you've been waiting for a minute!
Yeah. I remember, i've asked him about that interview, it was in february. The man is just busy as hell.
Next up, Dr Dre.

Yeah we were missing each other for a minute. We actually ended up reconnecting cause I hooked up a B-Real & Psycho Realm show in Hamburg, Germany in August (I won't be there myself as I'm in the Bay all summer) and Tone asked me about the interview again. With the new Slaugherhouse single, the Fabolous single etc this seemed like a good time for the interview.

OcToExtraordinaire

• Hookup Maestro
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Yeah we were missing each other for a minute. We actually ended up reconnecting cause I hooked up a B-Real & Psycho Realm show in Hamburg, Germany in August (I won't be there myself as I'm in the Bay all summer) and Tone asked me about the interview again. With the new Slaugherhouse single, the Fabolous single etc this seemed like a good time for the interview.
Yeah. Khalil is growing fast. Maybe the dude will produce some pop artists in the future. The Khalil's time has just begun.