Author Topic: LIL FLIP Takes A Chronic Vacation: Exclusive Interview  (Read 216 times)

Lunatic

LIL FLIP Takes A Chronic Vacation: Exclusive Interview
« on: July 27, 2009, 01:21:13 PM »
http://chronicvacation.com/2009/07/lil-flip-interview/

Posted on 27 July 2009

Chronic Vacation took a trip down to H-Town to link up with Lil Flip for an exclusive interview.  In this piece, you’ll hear all about Flip’s new single “Kim Kardashian,” and his new solo album “Ahead Of My Time.”  This is a real informative interview if you’ve been following Flip’s career, so be sure to check it out!

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH LIL FLIP [July '09]
Interview by Justin (Features Editor)

ChronicVacation.com: Lil Flip is here with us taking an exclusive Chronic Vacation! How you doing?

Lil Flip: Oh I’m good man. Just got out of a couple meetings. I have some good news. I’m alright bro; you good?

ChronicVacation.com: I’m doing really well. We got some good news for the interview?

Lil Flip: Oh yeah, let’s do it.

ChronicVacation.com: First off, you just put out your 2nd release on Real Talk Ent. Called “Certified” with Gudda. Tell us about your relationship with the label because some fans are confused.

Lil Flip: That’s a project I did with Gudda who is my homeboy from the group called Squad Up. I always wanted to do a whole project with him because I felt he never got the respect he deserves. I had went down there a year and a half ago and did an album with Noble from the Outlawz. That was the first project.

I came back and told them I wanted to do one with Gudda. I believe in the music. The industry is so messed up right now with so much competition. People getting radio play aren’t guaranteed Soundscan. Before people got in the mixtape game doing all of these freestyles and stuff, I was doing that already with DJ Screw. What I’m going to do to take it back to doing a whole bunch of mixtapes, I’m gonna let them know because I’m super hungry right now. That is basically a project I did with Gudda because we never got to do a whole project together.

ChronicVacation.com: We’re going to go into more detail on a bit of the stuff you just talked about but first of all, let’s talk about the “Kim Kardashian” single. Tell us about the responses you’re getting from that.

Lil Flip: The response is crazy. Kim Kardashian is supporting it, she put it on her Twitter. We have little kids going with a contest on the internet, whoever comes up with the best dance to the song, that’s who will be featured in the video. It’s basically a real fun song and I flipped it.  I just wanted to make the song about being an independent chick, and making your own money.  [Be] sexy and drive yourself a Bentley! The response is crazy.

ChronicVacation.com: You just touched on some things about the song I want to talk about. You clearly did see Kim Kardashian respond to it on Twitter. What did you think about her hearing it and reached out about it?

Lil Flip: Right. I met her once in Miami. I appreciate the support. We’ve been in contact with her mother. I had to send them over the lyrics and what not. We’re getting ready to shoot the video. We’re working on trying to get her in the video. Hopefully that goes good. I’m just happy she even supported it.

ChronicVacation.com: We’re always scoping out the girls on www.chronicvacation.com.  So did she look as good in person as she does in pictures?

Lil Flip: Of course. Hell yes (laughs). [Editor's note: Check out some hot Kim Kardashian pics HERE.]

ChronicVacation.com: The track is featured on “The Return of The #1 Flyboy” mixtape. You’ve been doing the mixtape and freestyle thing with DJ Screw long before it got hot. How can the fans get their hands on the mixtape?

Lil Flip: It’ll be in stores pretty much everywhere. It came out July 21st.  Whatever store the fans go to and they say they don’t have it, all they gotta do is request it at the store. It should be in all the states within the next couple months. For now, it will be in 26 markets the first week. We’re gonna spread it like a forest fire.

ChronicVacation.com: Let’s get you to comment on the mixtape and freestyle game. What do you think about it right now? Everybody knows you were deemed the freestyle king by DJ Screw way back. What are your thoughts on it right now?

Lil Flip: I feel like the game right now…do you remember the days when you would say, “Man, what did he just say?” and you would want to press rewind?  I’m trying to bring those days back. I feel like that’s not going on right now.

ChronicVacation.com: Do you think there are too many people trying to

rap now, and they’re over saturating the freestyle and mixtape market?

Lil Flip: I wouldn’t say over saturating. I would say it’s over crowded with a lot of people who don’t have talent. At the end of the day, I gotta do stuff to set me apart. I feel like there is a lot of garbage out there. You gotta deal with it though. Either you change with the times or sit back and complain about it.

ChronicVacation.com: You’re next official solo album is “Ahead of my Time.” What’s the status on that right now?

Lil Flip: “Ahead of my Time” is actually already done. We’re using this mixtape right now to give a pre-warning on the type of material I’ll be presenting to the streets and what not. I went through a lot recording both of these projects. I started out the process of doing this album; I did the majority of the songs by myself. 90% of this whole album is me.

On the album though I do have Crooked I. I have Brian Andrews from Day 26 on the album. I got a group I made called Thug Mafia, they’re on the album. I’m trying to make sure I don’t leave anybody out because I don’t have too many people on the album. I have The Dream Team on the album, that’s a group I have from Illinois. Who else I got on there? I got Big T from “Wanna Be a Baller.” I have Bobby Moon on the album. He just signed with Akon and Konvict Muzik. He’s a real big Indian artist. He sold about three million records overseas.

I have my new artist, I can’t forget her. I have a Korean artist on the album by the name of Eden, she sings in both English and Korean. We have a song…boy boy boy! When they hear the first single for my album, like my musical selection on this album is crazy. I have a techno song on the album. I have live instrumentation on the album. I have so many surprises on the album. I’ve been really concentrating on my lyrics a lot more. I’m just in the best shape of my life and am actually happy. Chamillionaire and Gudda are on the album too.

ChronicVacation.com: Sounds good. The track with Crooked I, is that “Gangster” that leaked not too long ago?

Lil Flip: Yeah! I felt like, I wanted to bring the excitement back so I leaked that record to check their temperature. That’s on the album. I leaked it so the fans can understand it. And I feel like that’s Crooked I’s hardest verse. Did you hear what he said at the end of the record? He said “when I was on Death Row, all you rappers was scared to do a song with me/Flip, what’s wrong with me?/I’m too Gangster.” I feel like the streets had to hear that. That was before I even knew he was doing Slaughterhouse. We just leaked it and let it be known. That’s going on the album.

ChronicVacation.com: He fuckin spits!

Lil Flip: Oh yeah, Crooked I is very underrated. I said in one of my freestyles “y’all sleeping on Crooked I, Papoose and me.”

ChronicVacation.com: If I remember correctly, he was up in the “Turn It Up” video with yourself and Chamillionaire during your part.

Lil Flip: Yeah. Crooked I is my dogg.

ChronicVacation.com: When you said “I got homies on the west that like to gang bang” the video shows Crooked I throwing up the dub!

Lil Flip: Yeah, Crooked was there. He had left the shoot but he came up there to mess with me. Crooked is my dude. I called him back when he left the video shoot and told him to come back. You know how it is when you’re waiting around; you don’t just want to be standing out there. I called him and he came back and got down in the video. That’s my homie.

ChronicVacation.com: No doubt. What kind of production are you working with on the album?

Lil Flip: I did six of the beats. You know me; I go find the raw talent. I’m not into the super producers who are going to charge me 100K a beat. I don’t need all that. I got nothing but underdogs that sound better than the big dogs.

ChronicVacation.com: Why did you choose the title to be “Ahead of my Time?”

Lil Flip: When I got tattoos seven years ago, I tattooed all of my albums on my forearm. I got The Leprechaun, Underground Legend, U Gotta Feel Me, I Need Mine and Ahead of my Time. I stopped at Ahead of my Time. Not that I couldn’t think of anything else but I didn’t know what I wanted to name the rest. So I have a space under the tattoo, I have space for one more album. After that I decided I’ll name the rest of my albums after volumes like “Ahead of my Time Vol.2” or something. Every album after this will just be “Ahead of my Time.”

ChronicVacation.com: So you chose the title way back then?

Lil Flip: Right. I decided I’ll keep riding with it. Right now, I feel the lyrics and my concepts and business moves that I’m making, I’m about to have my hands in everything like restaurants, cartoons, reality shows – it’s all in the making. I’m gonna keep going with “Ahead of my Time.”

ChronicVacation.com: It is a major solo album. What’s your major label situation like for the album? Are you still signed to Asylum for it?

Lil Flip: No, I got my release, thank God. I’m back independent with a major budget. I have a label deal with Deep Entertainment. We’re partners, 50/50. I own my masters. I have the option to put out whatever I want to put out. I’m gonna be the President of the Urban department in terms of signing talent and what not. I got my own office up here, or my own wing as I should say. I’m going back independent with the major budget. The budget is there. I still got all of my connections. We’re going to turn into the next Koch.

ChronicVacation.com: You were talking about the first single earlier; when can we expect to hear that?

Lil Flip: The first single off “Ahead of my Time” is a song called “Heartbreaker.” I’m releasing two singles at the same time. One is for the streets. “Heartbreaker” is for the ladies but it’s totally different than you ever heard me. The other single is a record called “48 Laws of Power” that I’m releasing to the streets. That “Heartbreaker” record? Oh my goodness. It’s a problem. It’s off the wall. You wouldn’t expect me to do this. It’s nothing crazy, but you wouldn’t expect me to do it.

ChronicVacation.com: How would you say this album differs from “I Need Mine?”

Lil Flip: I was focused on “I Need Mine,” but it got to a point where the album got leaked really early and I had to go back and record some more songs. I had songs and we had to change the cover. I wasn’t satisfied with the final cover but I was getting rushed. It was a lot of stuff. I love that album but this album right here is where I need to be. I need to be concentrating on the lyrics. I spent more on this album and I perfected my craft. This album right here is 20x better than “I Need Mine.”

ChronicVacation.com: It doesn’t sound like you liked the way Asylum handled that album.

Lil Flip: I hate the way they handled it. I love the way they let me out my contract though. I never got in the media and bad mouthed them. Every situation is not perfect. Who knows, I may do another deal with them down the line. But at the time, they couldn’t do what I needed done. I was made a whole bunch of promises that didn’t get kept. I moved on. Now I get to show people how I got to where I’m at.

ChronicVacation.com: What are your thoughts on Houston Hip-Hop right now? Because you came out at a time right before Houston got really popular. You were here before the wave came in with Mike Jones, Slim Thug, Paul Wall, Chamillionaire and so on hit the mainstream. You’re really like an OG from Houston. What are your thoughts on Houston Hip-Hop right now?

Lil Flip: Right now, it’s pretty much at a standstill. That’s why I need to come back. When I listen to the radio in my home town, we have a few Houston people getting played but it’s mostly dance records from other people. You don’t hear a lot of Houston. A lot of people don’t respect Houston as lyricists. They think all we rap about is candy paint and all that. I have a song, I don’t know if you have the “Flyboy” mixtape, but if you listen to track number four, it’s called “Just a Dream.” If you heard “Just a Dream,” that explains how I feel about the Houston rap scene.

Download “Just a Dream” featuring Lil Flip’s new Korean artist Eden HERE.

ChronicVacation.com: You said you got some good news for the interview.  What you got for us?

Lil Flip: Oh man, well. The meeting…I’m shooting a video to every song on my mixtape and it’s gonna be put together like a mini-movie. I’m taking it back to the days when Jay-Z did “Reasonable Doubt.” I just got my budget cleared on it. We figured out what it’ll cost to make it happen. I’m shooting a video to every song on the mixtape, and I’m shooting a video to every song on the album. We’re just showing them. There are a lot of lazy people. People are just content with one video. Nah, this isn’t the time to be lazy. I’m gonna let them know because I like to work.

ChronicVacation.com: That’s a real big announcement right there. I like that. All the Lil Flip fans will definitely be on the lookout for that. Thanks a lot for your time Flip.  Do you have any last words for us before we let you go?

Lil Flip: I want to tell all the fans to support the mixtape. It’s in stores now, “Da Return Of Da #1 Flyboy.” They can buy the “Kim K” single online right now. Stay tuned. I have a few artists coming out, me and A-Dub. We have the Black Al Capone with “Boss Up.” Boss Up is coming and being hosted by Kay Slay. We got the Bond Boys coming. I have a reality show. Tell them they can do all that and follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/lilflip713. Check out the videos on Youtube. I will continue to do what I do best. And if anybody needs beats, verses or videos directed, they can call 832-888-8850. I’m ready to work. Thank you.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

ikke

Re: LIL FLIP Takes A Chronic Vacation: Exclusive Interview
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 01:48:10 PM »
flip and crooked didn't expect that.

Video for every song on the mixtape AND album...
Flip always pulls of some retarded shit like that.

And it will probally be a double disc like flip always does...

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 02:00:08 PM »
^yeah, flip goes all out

Thanks for reading!

ikke

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
^yeah, flip goes all out

Thanks for reading!
thanks for interviewing n shit

Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 02:19:56 PM »
^yeah, flip goes all out

Thanks for reading!
thanks for interviewing n shit
haha its what i do! a lot more where this came from. Got plenty locked up in the vault ready to be unloaded.

mrkmaidog

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 04:23:56 PM »
dope interview lunatic.... ouit sleepin on FLIP ppl he's coming back. one of the best outta h-town that hardly gets the respect he deserves...and his new mixtape "#1 flyboy" proves it... cant wait for "Ahead Of My Time." that album will probably be the biggest album h-town drops this year. flip stays droppin consistent/solid albums, even tho he may sound lazy at times, and drop weak songs.... kim kardashain track may not be all that, but hey its a radio track and theres much worser songs being played on the airwaves these days...
blast the classics "leprechaun" & "undaground legend."

ikke

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 04:59:17 PM »
H-Town rappers always release there albums in the same year lol

in 05 Slim thug, Mike Jones,, Paul Wall, Bun dropped
in 09 Slim Thug, Mike JOnes, Paul Wall, UGk Dropped

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 06:04:40 PM »
Lunatic doing a Lil Fip interview. Nice. Not expected but nice. I now there had to be some temptation to ask a TI related question huh? LMAO j/k

Lunatic

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 08:29:01 PM »
Lunatic doing a Lil Fip interview. Nice. Not expected but nice. I now there had to be some temptation to ask a TI related question huh? LMAO j/k
HAHHAA real talk. I decided to keep that out :P