Author Topic: Talib Kweli new interview  (Read 135 times)

Myrealname

Talib Kweli new interview
« on: October 26, 2002, 06:46:12 AM »
While he doesn’t drop an album every year, Talib Kweli is promised to generate waves when he dives in the waters of hip-hop. Whereas other emcees constantly bang out hot, new sewage, hardly creating a ripple, Talib always drops a gem worth more than all the ice in the rap world.

AllHipHop.com: I heard the first single, and it’s a departure from what you have done in the past it’s a little more party oriented, was that a conscience decision?

Talib Kweli: Well I have done records like that in the past, they may have not been singles like “Move Something.” I was spittin.’ I’m curious to know what about it do you think is a departure.

AHH: It’s probably the combination of the video and the track; the video itself seems more party-oriented, more bouncy, more fun, that’s how I see it.

TK: Well of course the video got to match the track, it’s definitely the most party oriented song that I have done with the exception of “Touch you” which was a party oriented song but still was a lil’ darker ‘cause it was Hi-Tech on the beat. As far as the song it’s a lil’ slicker and a lil’ more polished but it’s the same sh*t I always come with.

AHH: What made you decide to work with some artist like Kanye West who is real hot right now?

TK: F**kin' dope, ain't better than that. His beats is hot, I work with whoever is hot.

AHH: On this album are you doing the same thing, are you getting the shine away from the over consciousness?

TK: I honestly felt I never really had an extra focus on consciousness, I feel like I represent the balance and I always have. I speak about social issues, I speak about my children, I speak about love, I speak about stuff that everybody dealin’ with, it’s rare I do a song where I’m just like this is wrong or this is f**ked up. People hear my music and can tell the vibe and what kind of person I am. That don’t work to tell people your wrong ‘cause you wear this kind clothing or you wrong ‘cause you rap about this. I always tried to stay away from that and times when I thought I was coming close to that I just backed off. I feel it’s more relevant when you’re dealing with what people are actually dealing with in their lives. Whether it’s “Ghetto Afterlife”, “memories lived” or sh*t from the new album I feel like I’ve always done that. The problem is that the music itself, not even between the artist and fans but more with the media and industry. It’s so out of balanced with what’s being represented that if somebody does something once it seems like they did it ten times ‘cause it’s no balance.

AHH: Why do you think people put you in that category even though you do have a good balance of material?

TK: I might have a good balance but the majority of what’s being showed to the people is not balanced. So if I come with a song and happen to mention that I’m a black person on the song it’s like, "Ohh he’s on some Pro-Black sh*t." I’m like you, "I’m on the same sh*t you should be on.” I’m just acknowledging who I am and where I come from and I think the reason I have been able to succeed in this to the point where I’m at even though I feel I got a long way to go is because people try to do that but it’s some aspects they can’t front on.

AHH: Do you feel burdened with the so-called responsibility?

K: I do and then I start talking about it and then I come off as bitter, I’m not bitter I’m happy and I don’t like to come off like that. That’s what that burden does it makes me start yappin’ about it and I really don’t need to be yappin’ about it.

AHH: Why do you think there is a divide in hip-hop? I truly consider myself “old school” because I really appreciate Public Enemy, KRS and those guys and a lot of those groups and those guys. There was a time when PE and the Beastie Boys played the same bill.

TK: It goes back to the point I find myself starting to make more and more about ‘cause I’m starting to see with the fans ‘cause I connect to the fans ‘cause I travel with other artists, big time or small time I’m starting to see how they live and how they do their sh*t. What I start to see is that, that’s not where the issue lies. People are exposed to my music and they like it but the people who are responsible for making sure the music gets out to the people, that’s where the problem lies. There’s the industry on one side and the media on the other side just following sh*t instead of innovating sh*t. I think the fans and the artists get it, I just think they’re gatekeepers and feel threatened if things start to change.

AHH: We got into a discussion with Russell Simmons, which almost turned into an argument. We feel like it’s the industry’s responsibility to put out more diverse music, Russell felt it is the artists’ responsibility.

TK: Respect to Russell because I think he agrees with you and is trying to do it but there’s things he’s not in touch with because of the position he’s in. There are plenty of artists doing it their just not getting their shine and being represented. There are thousands of artist who are tight, who are doing it but the industry is a follow thing. If Nelly is blowing up lets put out the next Nelly or if Eminem is blowing up lets put out the next Eminem, that’s just the nature of the business.

AHH: What about you? A lot of people respect you as an artist including myself your last album [Reflection Eternal] was considered a classic and so was the Black Star album, but we were like why don’t these guys put out more music faster so we can get it out there more.

TK: There’s two reasons for that, 1) If you’re a visionary and your doing it because you love it, there’s less focus on a deadline or I got to be out by this point and I got to do this. When you’re doing it for the art your not so focused on selling records, you’re focused on making sure your sh*t sounds right and perfect, where these other dudes are able to just cram sh*t out. And they go into it with those situations. One thing I get on them about all the time and I’m going to do it with my next album budget, is buying a studio. We bought a studio for Reflection Enternal in Cincinnati and we did a lot of work from there but it’s like I look at what Jay is doing at Baseline [studios, The Roc-A-Fella headquarters], I look at what Busta is doing at Soundtrack, they form a relationship with their studios where they can go in and record anytime, but they had to get to certain levels in their careers and sell a certain amount of records to do that. Rawkus has to find a way to do that whether we have those sells or not. It breaks down differently as far as myself I ain't never stopped since I came out. I go to all the parties, I’m going to speed tonight to see 50 Cent, and I stay out there. I do that to see what people are talking about.

AHH: You mentioned 50 Cent he’s one of my favorite rappers right now. Who do you like? Seems like some people would probably be surprised that you like 50 Cent.

TK: I like all them niggas, I like 50 Cent, I like Nelly, Eminem, Scarface, Jay-Z, Nas, I like Dead Prez, J-Live, LL, if you dope, you dope. You said you’re old school but when I came into the game either you liked hip-hop or you didn’t and if you like hip-hop you wasn’t f**king with Vanilla Ice or Hammer, other than that you was giving everybody they respect if they was trying to do it, they may not be your favorite MC or make your favorite song but you’ll f*ck with them, you was checking for their album.

AHH: What’s your situation with Rawkus, I heard tension is there especially with the thing with MCA, is that true?

TK: Yeah basically Rawkus found itself in a position where they didn’t have any distribution so it took a couple of months to secure the distribution deal with MCA which is on now, but in those couple of months they were going through it but I didn’t know what was going on so I started lashing out ‘cause I wanted to know what the f*ck is going on. I set up my tour and the way they handled it was wrong and I ‘m in business with these people and I’ve known Jared and Brian (owners of Rawkus) for years, I consider them friends but the way they handled it was wrong they know that and we have talked about that but it’s like whatever we just have to move on from that. They just could’ve handled it a little better but now were on the same page.

AHH: A friend from Phat Farm hit us up ‘cause and she said you had something to get off your chest and wanted Allhiphop.com to put it out there.

TK: I never needed to do that, that was some heated sh*t and had ya'll called me I would have probably been like nevermind, but I was frustrated and I did say that to her. I was like they [Rawkus] can’t do this without any repercussions. I need a way to let people know what’s going on, and I did. I did some interviews and they got pissed but I was like, “Yo man fix your sh*t and I wont have nothing to talk about.”

AHH: What is the most non-conscience thing you’ve ever done?

TK: I don’t know if I should say it. It might just be for me you know.

AHH: So let me run down the list since you don’t want to say. Have you ever cheated on a test?

TK: No. [reconsiders] I must’ve. Everybody cheated on test.

AHH: What about cheat on a girlfriend?

TK: Yeah.

AHH: Have you ever hit a dog in the eye with a rock?

TK: No, I don’t like dogs though. I might think about it.

AHH: Have you ever busted your gun?

TK: Nah I never had to bust no gun.

AHH: Smack a sound man?

TK: No.

AHH: Came close?

TK: Came close, yeah.

AHH: What about some pork?

TK: Oh yeah I used to kill some pork chops, I read Malcolm X when I was 14 and that’s the last time I ate pork.

=[Euthanasia]=

Re:Talib Kweli new interview
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 10:27:27 AM »
Those were some great Q's from AHH, specially the last few, haha  ;D Can't wait for this new album now, I definately feel where he's coming from when he says he think he has a balance in what he represents in his music, thats why I respect him so much.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Nima - Dubcnn.com

Re:Talib Kweli new interview
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2002, 02:19:37 PM »
Those were some great Q's from AHH, specially the last few, haha  ;D Can't wait for this new album now, I definately feel where he's coming from when he says he think he has a balance in what he represents in his music, thats why I respect him so much.