Author Topic: Slaughterhouse-Slaughterhouse-2009-H3X (Discussion Thread)  (Read 9789 times)

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
Re: Slaughterhouse-Slaughterhouse-2009-H3X (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #150 on: August 02, 2009, 09:01:54 PM »
I still think Move On is their best song...though I personally love the album. 

If I were to remove my personal feelings I would say,

1. The beat selection was weak.  Cuckoo and the one probably had the best beats.  Why?  Each beat fits the concept of the songs. 

2.  There needed to be a strong conceptual tie-in for the album.  For example, the concept of the album could have been introducing the world to each of the 4 members.  They could have done this with 4 in the mind skits, one for each member.  I think that Budden skit was brilliant. 

But, as we all know even if some of us don't want to admit it, Slaughterhouse also serves as a major vehicle in moving their solo careers forward by increasing their fan bases and industry connections.
like they got the cash for an album full of good beats

between the four of them? yes they do. and good doesnt necessarily mean expensive

Lunatic

« Reply #151 on: August 02, 2009, 09:47:06 PM »
it ain't like cash comin out they own pockets for beats, most likely a budget
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #152 on: August 02, 2009, 10:02:42 PM »
great album...amazing.

joel ortiz!!  HOLY SHIT!!  i think he stole the show with his rhymes.

the only thing i didnt like was that recycled sample they used on Not Tonight. 

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2009, 02:35:05 AM »
I'm gonna drop a short review tonight. I do have to say that Budden is definitely the weakest link and Ortiz surprisingly (or not) was the strongest. Quality lyricists and most important quality songwriter. Crooked and Royce tend to go off topic and just spaz out which ain't bad but it's not what I like hearing on albums.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2009, 08:05:32 AM »

1. The beat selection was weak.  Cuckoo and the one probably had the best beats.  Why?  Each beat fits the concept of the songs. 

2.  There needed to be a strong conceptual tie-in for the album.  For example, the concept of the album could have been introducing the world to each of the 4 members.  They could have done this with 4 in the mind skits, one for each member.  I think that Budden skit was brilliant. 

But, as we all know even if some of us don't want to admit it, Slaughterhouse also serves as a major vehicle in moving their solo careers forward by increasing their fan bases and industry connections.

Yeah, I'm sure that's part of it.  Great beats tend to be more expensive but also it's a reflection of how one uses the beat.  Microphone is another good example of a beat put to proper use.

I'm a fan of the album so for me I'm just nitpicking.  I even thought Budden was dope even if he was the weakest link which I don't view him as.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

ikke

« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2009, 08:08:15 AM »

Yeah, I'm sure that's part of it.  Great beats tend to be more expensive but also it's a reflection of how one uses the beat.  Microphone is another good example of a beat put to proper use.

I'm a fan of the album so for me I'm just nitpicking.  I even thought Budden was dope even if he was the weakest link which I don't view him as.
ofcourse, dre couldn't ask 250k for a beat if he sucked at producing

Invincible

« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2009, 08:13:48 AM »
great album...amazing.

joel ortiz!!  HOLY SHIT!!  i think he stole the show with his rhymes.

the only thing i didnt like was that recycled sample they used on Not Tonight. 

Mostly all samples these days are recycled. Pete Rock used the sample on the 1st track better than Streetrunner used it.

Paul

« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2009, 08:23:51 AM »
Anybody else not really enjoy it that much?
funkyfreshintheflesh

Pdizzle4sho

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2009, 08:35:52 AM »
From the first few tracks...Not really...

More of a mixtape sounding album.

Invincible

« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »

Like I said, beat wise, no. They were a big letdown for me. But they did come good lyrically. Next album will be better for sure.

Okka

« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2009, 09:42:20 AM »

Like I said, beat wise, no. They were a big letdown for me. But they did come good lyrically. Next album will be better for sure.

Yeah, that's true. I was real dissapointed with the DJ Khalil beats on the album.

NillerTheKid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2009, 10:04:16 AM »
Game would fir perfectly into this album, with all that name dropping
See these fans can't resist the rush,
they Wu-Tang for life
Scarred for life,
they can't forget the cuts

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2009, 12:47:16 PM »
Ok, here's my short review:

Sound Off - Good track to start the album, sort of like an intro. Ortiz definitely stole the show (crazy flow), Royce and Crook did their thing, Budden was the weakest. Nice production and chorus too. No clear sing of any songwriting but since it's the intro I can accept it (sort of like Luda does with all his intros). 4/5

Lyrical Murderers - like how the beat kicks in, Dre-ish beat from Focus who also stepped his mixing game up lately (Busta joints). Horrible chours, dude sounds like a Chris Brown clone (Kobe should've done the hook). Crooked I had a great verse on point with the topic, Royce was weak talking about gangsta shit not really on topic, Budden also rambling about random shit, Ortiz killed it again and stayed on topic. 4/5 (would get a 5/5 if it was only Crook & Ortiz)

Microphone - insane beat. I guess this beat called for another "I'm a super lyrical MC" type of track. Budden is the best on this one, real sharp delivery. Other 3 were cool, what you'd expect from them. 4/5

Not Tonight- as soon as the beat and chorus kicks in I got a feeling like they jacked a Jay song (maybe Roc Boyz?). Anyways, like the vibe of this song, more fun and chilled. I probably like Budden most, then Ortiz and then Royce. They all seemed in comfortable while Crooked sounded out of place, like he didn't know how to rap with this type of vibe. 4/5

The One - everybody heard this by now, nothing special 3/5

Cuckoo - not feeling this track at all. From annoying Khalil beat to the subject of the track itself; we've already had Lyrical Murderers and Microphone that are like a mix of this one 3/5

Onslaught 2 - Lovely soulful beat and 4 killed it. Another song with no real structure though. But because this could've been an even better intro track than Sound Off I'm giving it a  5/5

Salute - Love the beat as always with Porter and the chorus is the shit. Don't like what they decided to do with this beat though, Royce and Budden sounded like they about to fall asleep kicking the laid back flow, while Oritz showed how it's done proper, Crook was alright. 3/5

Pray - like the beat and chorus. Great storytelling from Ortiz, Royce again off topic but luckily picked up in the 2nd part of the verse, Crooked I did his thing 4,5/5

Cut You Lose - Another soulful beat like on Onslaight 2. Love the subject on this one, dissing the hip-hop game, all 4 of them were great 5/5

Rain Drops - Don't like the hook. But other than that a great introspecitve joint. Crooked I killed it with flow too 4,5/5

Killaz -  Another awful hook, average beat. Dissapointing ending of the album 3/5

Well the album has 2 predictable aspects; the production and songwriting. Especially the latter bothers me, too many random tracks not enought songs with a clear topic. Ortiz was the best on the album, stayed on topic most of the time and also a good mixture of delivery, flow and lyrics.

Paul

« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2009, 01:06:21 PM »

I think thats whats dissapointing for me, i cant go back to a track just for the lyrics, not 1 track stood out for me, i like the Focus track if i had to say 1
funkyfreshintheflesh

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2009, 04:01:05 PM »
Game would fir perfectly into this album, with all that name dropping

LOL, yeah right!