Author Topic: Your ideal tracklist for Snoop Dogg Lost Sessions Vol. 1  (Read 521 times)

MarshColin

Re: Your ideal tracklist for Snoop Dogg Lost Sessions Vol. 1
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 01:47:52 PM »
But why try to make something an album that clearly isn't? You think a Snoop album is gonna have St. Ide's advertisements on it? If it's gonna be the "Lost Sessions", it really shouldn't be structured like an album. Just give us a good collection of unreleased Death Row era Snoop and it's all good.

I agree with your comments on "The Chronic Re-Lit". They'd have been better off just using the second disc to put out all the rare but released B-side material from the singles (like the recent deluxe edition of "Criminal Minded").

Well when I meant album I was thinking something with a consistent sound throughout the whole release, more than what u meant with an album structure but I think they got enough material where they could make it seem that way. That way we're not gonna hear a mind blowing Dr. Dre produced Snoop track from 1993, followed by a mediocre DJ Pooh produced Snoop track from 97. Not saying Pooh's productions are mediocre, but I'm just giving an example of how an inconsistent sound kinda takes something away from the music. And I wouldn't have titled it "Lost Sessions" either.

The St. Ides track could actually fit perfectly. What they could do is record some new WBallz skits and then have EZ Dick say something along the lines of "and now a word from our sponsors" in one of them and then they break into the St. Ides commercial.

I'm grateful to get any unreleased music, but I think that some ways are better than others when it comes to marketing this stuff. If I was in charge, I would make a Doggystyle 2 outta this project instead of "Lost Sessions." That's all I'm saying.

2euce 7even

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 03:02:12 PM »
more pac, prince ital and sam sneed-featured tracks.

G-Funk

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 05:05:30 PM »
I'm down for unreleased song that gets put on the tracklist. But what I'd really like to hear is the Next Episode OG.

Stranded On Death Row (Remix)

Never heard there was a remix of this? Who's featured on it?

No idea. It was on the asset list and it was from 93. That's all we know about it sorry.

oh shit there's a remix? :o

Jimmy H.

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 05:35:55 PM »
But why try to make something an album that clearly isn't? You think a Snoop album is gonna have St. Ide's advertisements on it? If it's gonna be the "Lost Sessions", it really shouldn't be structured like an album. Just give us a good collection of unreleased Death Row era Snoop and it's all good.

I agree with your comments on "The Chronic Re-Lit". They'd have been better off just using the second disc to put out all the rare but released B-side material from the singles (like the recent deluxe edition of "Criminal Minded").

Well when I meant album I was thinking something with a consistent sound throughout the whole release, more than what u meant with an album structure but I think they got enough material where they could make it seem that way. That way we're not gonna hear a mind blowing Dr. Dre produced Snoop track from 1993, followed by a mediocre DJ Pooh produced Snoop track from 97. Not saying Pooh's productions are mediocre, but I'm just giving an example of how an inconsistent sound kinda takes something away from the music. And I wouldn't have titled it "Lost Sessions" either.

The St. Ides track could actually fit perfectly. What they could do is record some new WBallz skits and then have EZ Dick say something along the lines of "and now a word from our sponsors" in one of them and then they break into the St. Ides commercial.

I'm grateful to get any unreleased music, but I think that some ways are better than others when it comes to marketing this stuff. If I was in charge, I would make a Doggystyle 2 outta this project instead of "Lost Sessions." That's all I'm saying.
But I don't think you can truly get that without the involvement of the artist and I think calling it "Doggystyle 2" would be a mistake on their part. You can't craft a true follow-up to a classic record by throwing together leftovers from the original. In my opinion unless you have a Dr. Dre or Snoop or Daz working with you, you're better off just compiling the best music and letting the fans do what they want with it. Even if you break it down to a specific time period, it's very difficult to recreate that kind of thing.

MarshColin

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 07:27:50 PM »

But I don't think you can truly get that without the involvement of the artist and I think calling it "Doggystyle 2" would be a mistake on their part. You can't craft a true follow-up to a classic record by throwing together leftovers from the original. In my opinion unless you have a Dr. Dre or Snoop or Daz working with you, you're better off just compiling the best music and letting the fans do what they want with it. Even if you break it down to a specific time period, it's very difficult to recreate that kind of thing.

I agree. I think Doggystyle is the only album they could really do it with though. Maybe calling it "The Missing Doggystyle Sessions" or something would be more fitting. Oh well, I dont give a fuck in the end because WideAwake will release, within their power, what we want to hear. The only thing that's going to stop us from getting the tracks we want are going to be legal issues that WideAwake can hopefully get around or work out with the people behind them.

Efrain

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 07:55:56 PM »
It seems like the DPG Camp worked a little slower than Pac in terms of pumping out songs, but I think the reason for that is they focused so much more on completing the material.  It's stories like this one from the All Eyez on Me XXL making of interviews that that sum it up for me.....

Rick Clifford: 'Pac was very adamant that the album was spontaneous. Everything that you hear, everybody got one take. They couldn't go back and fix anything. 'Pac said that number one, hip-hop is different from R&B. If a guy can't get out and spit eight to 16 bars, he's not ready yet. Then he said he loves the first take because there's a certain feel to it. He said if people go back and try and fix it, they would start thinking about it, they would lose the feel, they would mess it up. So the only one who refused to get out there like that was Snoop. Snoop said he'd come back tomorrow and do it. I think Snoop went home and wrote his stuff, learned his stuff came in and knocked it off, first take. All Snoop said was, "Wait a minute. You ain't going to put me out on one take. I'll come back and do it tomorrow"

I think generally speaking the quality of the unreleased DPG material is significantly higher in terms of production values and finalized, polished tracks that anyone elses at Death Row. The DPG camp had so many producers in their prime at their beck and call right then and there ex. Daz, Soopafly, LT Hutton, Dj Pooh plus all the support engineers and uncredited musicians. That, with the abundance of  people to do hooks like Val, Nate, Big Pimpin, Ital Joe, Danny Boy etc and the collaborative nature of all their songs made for music that was really rich with quality. Pac might have pumped out a shit load of stuff in the short time he was on Death Row but the DPG had been there for years before him and years after.  

I'm more excited about the DPG stuff than anything else. Also, side note... is it just me or did anyone else NOT see any of the Re-Lit bonus tracks mentioned in the Asset PDF's? If these are the original titles that means the Asset PDF's don't show everything that's there 8)

5. DOGG COLLAR - SNOOP DOGGY DOGG, BAD AZZ, BIG PIMPIN'
6. TOUCH DOWN - SNOOP DOGGY DOGG, THREAT
7. WOULD U RIDE? - DAZ, KURUPT, SNOOP DOGGY DOGG
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:59:59 PM by Efrain »