Author Topic: When are we going to lighten up when it comes to rap music?  (Read 540 times)

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: When are we going to lighten up when it comes to rap music?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 02:14:42 AM »
Big is definetly a legend. No matter the circumstances, his influence on today's biggest rappers is undeniable. He wasn't some average rapper who died and suddenly became a legend and anyone who thinks that is either plain ignorant or has been sucking way too much West Coast dick. Big was part of the equation long before Pac went public with the feud. Sure, death might have elevated the conversation a bit more but the same can be said about Pac.

Very true. Even after his first album BIG was considered a legend.

But it is also true that a LOT of people need to lighten up when it comes to rap music.

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 03:04:39 AM »
Since we are on the topic, you think it's right to call someone "a legend" just because of one great album? I mean, aint that supposed to be a hasbeen if we look at it objectively? You make one great album and then every album after that is average...how is that legendary. There must be like 50 million artists that can make 1 great album but how many of these "legends" you call them actually did more than that?

Then some people get called legends just because they were here over 10 years ago...you think The Game is thought as a legend in 12 years?  :laugh:
Fuck this legend shit, it sounds anyways like you are talking about a fucking fossile who can't keep it up anymore so you got to call him something more decent than a fall off.

"Time makes memories golden", wouldn't you say something like that?

GimmeYourShoes

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 03:38:01 AM »
legend (FAME)   
noun [C]
someone or something very famous and admired, usually because of their ability in a particular area:
Jazz legend, Ella Fitzgerald, once sang in this bar.

legendary

adjective
very famous and admired or spoken about:
He became editor of the legendary Irish journal 'The Bell'.
The British are legendary
(= well known) for their incompetence with languages.

Source : dictionary.cambridge.org/

Biggie died in '97 and still today he's one of the most spoken rappers.
Speaking of these new comers. Saigon and Papoose both were huge on internet in 2001-2005, just like Joe Budden is now, but today barely no one speaks of these guys.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6</a>

Jaydc555

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 05:48:43 AM »
If 50 cent was killed right after get rich or die trying he would considered a legend right there with big and pac.

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 06:03:35 AM »
i'm telling you people are stuck in the past, it won't change.

What's wrong with that? It's music us older lot grew up on.

I'll throw a name out there................Eminem.

MoodMuzik

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 10:01:15 AM »
If 50 cent was killed right after get rich or die trying he would considered a legend right there with big and pac.
100 percent agree

Nigga_With_An_Additude

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 10:12:06 AM »
how about eazy e and big pun?

ikke

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 10:19:47 AM »
how about eazy e and big pun?
Just for being in NWA eazy is legend.

And his solo career would be irrelevant without boyz-in-da-hood to me, which was written by ice cube anyway

Nigga_With_An_Additude

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 10:24:51 AM »
how about bone thugs n harmony,I mean they made a name for themselves after Eazy E died.........and they had one hell of one with Eazy

MoodMuzik

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 10:55:41 AM »
Big L?

Nigga_With_An_Additude

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 11:13:21 AM »
yeah big l,cham,i know no one likes the ho limit souljahs but yall gotta give it to them they stuck in there,soljah boy,dr.dre now there is a legend................

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 01:12:44 PM »
100 percent agree

i'm telling you people are stuck in the past, it won't change.

What's wrong with that? It's music us older lot grew up on.

I'll throw a name out there................Eminem.

yeah, but i am willing to listen to new rap; nothing wrong with listening to throwbacks, i do it all the time.

but i don't shit on new guys & go against them because it's against legends; take the Budden/Wu situation, in some ways Joe Budden is completely right & Rae is a bitch for having a 300 pound bodygaurd sucker punch Joe in the face (no groupie, it's fact); but who is Joey going against? THE ALMIGHTY WU-TANG, so Jumpoff has to be wrong, God forbid he could possibly be right in that situation lol.

people will 100% of the time side with a legend, simply because he's got like senoirty over others, shit is lame.

Since we are on the topic, you think it's right to call someone "a legend" just because of one great album? I mean, aint that supposed to be a hasbeen if we look at it objectively? You make one great album and then every album after that is average...how is that legendary. There must be like 50 million artists that can make 1 great album but how many of these "legends" you call them actually did more than that?

Then some people get called legends just because they were here over 10 years ago...you think The Game is thought as a legend in 12 years?  :laugh:
Fuck this legend shit, it sounds anyways like you are talking about a fucking fossile who can't keep it up anymore so you got to call him something more decent than a fall off.

"Time makes memories golden", wouldn't you say something like that?

agreed 100%; 50 Cent (Get Rich or Die Tryin'), Chamillionaire (Ultimate Victory), Kanye West (College Dropout), Lupe (F&L or The Cool), The Game (The Documentary); those are just a few names that are "legends" i suppose because they have made at least one great album lol.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 01:13:23 PM »
50 million artists? I don't think so. There might be a whole shit load who've done great albums but very few have dropped all-around "classics". I don't think it's about how many albums or songs you make but how infliuential the material is.

The thing about the ten-year theory is two-fold. People tend to hail anything that was remotely good from the 90's or early 2000 as being "classic". It can get annoying. Though I do think there needs to be some distance from the material to truly judge it. An artist with one classic album can be a legend if the material is that good but there needs to be a distinction between classics albums (Doggystyle, No One Can Do It Better) and best-selling albums with a few hit records on them.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 01:26:11 PM »
^but people today can't set trends, unless it's what's next in hip hop.

an album like Slaughterhouse, a great pure rap album cannot set a trend because it doesn't change the game.

more people listen to the radio & that music, which is the only real form of rap that can hold an impact in 2009; because it's the only form that gets exposure.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 01:28:29 PM »
yeah, but i am willing to listen to new rap; nothing wrong with listening to throwbacks, i do it all the time.

but i don't shit on new guys & go against them because it's against legends; take the Budden/Wu situation, in some ways Joe Budden is completely right & Rae is a bitch for having a 300 pound bodygaurd sucker punch Joe in the face (no groupie, it's fact); but who is Joey going against? THE ALMIGHTY WU-TANG, so Jumpoff has to be wrong, God forbid he could possibly be right in that situation lol.

people will 100% of the time side with a legend, simply because he's got like senoirty over others, shit is lame.
  Not always. I thought Budden had some valid points. I didn't neccesarily side with him over Meth but I liked the idea of making it more about "competing on wax" than about creating an actual beef. I think hip-hop needs to be more about the "show and prove" approach than all that "let's take it to the streets" bullshit. And it seemed like Joe was going for something more than just "let's trade diss records" back and forth. The trading punchlines who tends to establish who the better battle rapper is but to make it more about who can make better records is interesting. Music is fucking stale right now, particularly hip-hop, and we need artists willing to take a more fresh approach.

Another example is Snoop versus Crooked I. I love both these guys as artists but I thought some of the comments Snoop made about Crook were real unneccessary and seemed counterproductive to the movement he claimed to be pushing for. I think Crooked I handled it in the right way.

But that being said, in most cases, people do side with the legends and it's for many reasons. The first is so many young up and coming artists just throw rocks at established guys to get their name out. Another thing is fans tend to side with the artist they are familiar with. If you have this one guy whose made maybe two hot songs feuding with the guy who has a whole catalog of some of your favorite songs, you're probably gonna relate more with the dude whose music you feel more connected to. It all really depends on the situation but I don't really like hearing all these newer West guys bitch about what they are entitled to like "Why won't Snoop work with me or why won't Dre give me a beat?".
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:30:20 PM by Jimmy H. »