Author Topic: The DOC Interview: Detox & Surgery  (Read 2989 times)

Lunatic

The DOC Interview: Detox & Surgery
« on: August 24, 2009, 12:03:18 AM »

http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/1840/54/

Earlier today, we announced that Raptalk will begin an interview craze seeing us drop three interviews a week every Monday, Thursday & Saturday -- We begin right now kicking things off right with a west coast legend...

It’s only been a handful of months since Raptalk hooked up with the legendary DOC for an exclusive two part interview. In that epic feature, Raptalk went through the entire career of the DOC from the debut album, to the accident, to the fallout with Dr. Dre, to Detox and what’s going on now with the potential voice fixing surgery. So why interview the legend again just five months later? After a five month hiatus with no news apparent on the surgery or how Detox is coming along, fans and readers became weary so it seemed the right time for this interview – which is why Raptalk went out and chased down this feature. Read on to get an exclusive look at what is going on with the surgery, Detox and more major announcements from The DOC…
Raptalk.Net: The legendary D.O.C. is back on Raptalk.Net with yet another interview in just a few months. Speaking of a few months, that is when you made a monumental announcement regarding a potential surgery that would allow you to get your original voice back. What is the status of this surgery and are you still going through with the process?

The D.O.C.: Yes that is what’s actually going on; I am still going through with the process. It’s taking a little bit more than I originally expected but I’m too far in to not go through with it. I’m not sure if it will be getting back the exact voice I had or exactly what percentage that I will be able to get back. They’re pretty positive that it will be something that I can use, so I’m going to go through with it.

Raptalk.Net: That’s good to hear because some fans were concerned because they didn’t get an update in a while; they were worried maybe you weren’t going through with it anymore.

The D.O.C.: Well really I’m trying to focus on Dre’s record as much as I can because it’s so important for me to help this guy finish his record and get it done. Usually I keep to myself.

Raptalk.Net: That is why we appreciate you speaking to us. I definitely believe that and we’re going to get into that of course. Last time, you explained to me that it is a dangerous procedure. Are you more excited or nervous?

The D.O.C.: Maybe a little of both. The thing about what I’m going through, it’s a lot more painful than I thought. This shit fucking hurts. It’s a struggle but like I said before, I’ve come too far to not see it through. If I don’t see it through, I’ll always have that shit hanging over my head. It’s like I have to do it.

Raptalk.Net: How excited is Dr. Dre for you to go through with this?

The D.O.C.: I think Dre is more excited than me. I think that he is one of the guys that wants it so bad. He feels like we have some unfinished business. He is always telling me I fucked his money up (laughs). I think Dre just wants me to have an opportunity to really get my voice back but it’s a struggle and it’s tough. Like I said, that shit hurts a lot more than I fuckin’ thought it would. But I’m a soldier and I’m going to ride it out.

Raptalk.Net: Wouldn’t that be such an appropriate title for the final DOC album with Dr. Dre? “Unfinished Business?”

The D.O.C.: (Laughs) I like that kid. It’s not bad, I may use that.

Raptalk.Net: (Laughs) that’s what I’m talking about. Of course this would allow you to put out one last album. Is it too early, or have you thought about a theme for the album?

The D.O.C.: Yeah, it’s way too early for that. They may go into my neck and fuck some shit up and I may not be able to speak at all. I don’t want to put this shit on the ether like that but who knows, I have to focus on one thing at a time.

Raptalk.Net: When is the next appointment for the process?

The D.O.C.: Late September I have to go back in and they have to stick me in my neck again. It basically sucks but like I said, I’m filming all of this shit so win, lose or draw, I want everybody to see how fuckin’ difficult it was to go through this shit. So I’m filming every fuckin’ thing they do to my body because I want motherfuckers to see it. You want reality TV, I’m gonna’ give you some real reality because some of this shit is graphic.

Raptalk.Net: None of that scripted stuff. So you have filmed everything thus far? It is a possibility that we may get a TV show or a documentary out of this?

The D.O.C.: I’ve filmed every fuckin’ thing. I filmed every thing that I’ve had to go through. I’ve got it all documented.

Raptalk.Net: Have they even given you a rough time table of when the whole process may be over and done with?

The D.O.C.: Nope, because I’m really taking my time with it. If I had to guess a date, I’d say late spring next year; maybe around April or May but my attention is somewhere else right now.

Raptalk.Net: And I imagine your talking about Detox. Is it possible that the surgery process may be over with in time to land you a verse on Detox?

The D.O.C.: Hell no. Hey, we’re trying to be done with this record by November.

Raptalk.Net: Wow! This record should be done by November?

The D.O.C.: That’s right. I think we have enough songs right now but Dre is Dre, you know. Will be doing it until he gets the 12 that he is in love with. But I do think we have enough right now. I don’t think he’s putting it in as hard right now which makes me believe that we have pretty much what we need. So now we have a 3 month window to fuck around.

Raptalk.Net: So would you say at this point in the entire recording process, were as close to having Detox finished as we’ve ever been?

The D.O.C.: Oh yeah. This guy has really great music and it’s some cool shit, but it’s up to him. I think they just started promotion for the Slim the Mobster record. I’m not sure but somebody hit me over the web and said they heard that they finally started promoting the Slim the Mobster so if Slim is coming, I don’t think Dre will be that far behind him.

Raptalk.Net: Is it true that Mel-Man has made some recent contributions?

The D.O.C.: I don’t know. I’d be speaking out of turn if I said yes or no. I don’t know.

Raptalk.Net: How do you think “the team” putting together this album compares to that of the “2001” team that included Hittman, Eminem, Knoc-turn’al, DPG, Xzibit and so on?

The D.O.C.: Wow, that’s a pretty good question.

Raptalk.Net: Thank you.

The D.O.C.: It’s different because every album is different. It was a different album from Straight Outta Compton to Niggaz4Life because (Ice) Cube was missing even though the nucleus was the same. It was a totally different feel when he was making it. This is a Dr. Dre album – this is probably more of a Dr. Dre album than motherfuckers have ever really got in the past. It’s a lot more of Dre in front. I think for his last album, that’s pretty up and above.

Raptalk.Net: You mentioned Slim the Mobster and I’m not sure if you heard or not, I’m sure you did but he just signed to all three powerhouses that is G-Unit/Shady/Aftermath. I imagine you are especially excited about this as you’ve been a big fan and believer in Slim since the very beginning.

The D.O.C.: Slim is the first one to do what?

Raptalk.Net: From what I understand, he is the first one to sign to all three imprints at the same time, G-Unit/Shady/Aftermath.

The D.O.C.: I didn’t know that.

Raptalk.Net: That story was recently broken.

The D.O.C.: Wow! That’s amazing.

Raptalk.Net: That’s great news for him and that’s why I brought it up – last time we spoke, you had mentioned that you were a big fan of his and he’s next up from the west. Clearly you’re not the only one who thinks so.

The D.O.C.: Oh no, Slim is hot. He’s the new west coast kind of guy. He’s probably the best thing smoking out here right now. He’s better than a lot of guys. As a matter of fact, he might be better than 99.999% of motherfuckers rapping today. He’s pretty goddamn dude.

Raptalk.Net: I feel you. Do you know anything about Stat Quo recently being back in the studio with you guys?

The D.O.C.: Yeah, he was with us in Hawaii.

Raptalk.Net: It is good to hear there is no bad blood with him being dropped and all that.

The D.O.C.: Oh no, Stat Quo came in and actually came up with two really nice pieces.

Raptalk.Net: Reflect on your “The Shit” track with Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, MC Ren and 6’2 off “The Deuce” album.

The D.O.C.: I wanted to make a record that felt like the old shit and that was the shit when it was all that we were doing was the shit. I wanted it to feel like that. But Dre and I kind of got into an argument around that time. You know if Dre doesn’t touch it, I have to admit that if Dre doesn’t touch it, then it will sound lackluster.

Raptalk.Net: Absolutely, totally agree. We’re not even going to bother about getting in the past with the Dre argument because it’s clear you two are rolling together stronger than ever.

The D.O.C.: That’s been my friend for 20 years. Dre is probably my best friend. He always reaches back no matter what we fuss about. We may cuss each other out and all that shit because that is my brother. I really feel like I do look at him like a brother to me.

Raptalk.Net: Absolutely. Do you know what the status is of the Bishop Lamont situation? Rumors floated around saying he was dropped, he is saying he wasn’t dropped and the whole situation looks like a mess.

The D.O.C.: You know what, I’m not too sure about Bishop Lamont and his situation. Once again I’d be lying if I told you anything on that.

Raptalk.Net: What’s next up for you?

The D.O.C.: You know what, I wrote a book and well actually, I’m writing the last three chapters right now and Dre is writing the fourth chapter. I don’t have a title for the book yet. But it is about our lives. It’s an autobiography if you will. It covers maybe the last 30 years – I give it all to them. It’s the entire story from the beginning of Ruthless to the middle and end, the beginning of Death Row to the middle and end, all of me and Dre’s blow ups and fusses. It covers all of our wines and losses. It’s a pretty exciting piece if I do say so myself. There is something happening on every fuckin’ page. These people are going to have a lot to read about. We can’t wait and I really wanted to wait because I was waiting for a particular happy ending before I finished the book but once I started doing this bullshit, it would appear to me that the happy ending was already here; I just hadn’t seen it.

Raptalk.Net: Wow! That’s a wonderful quote and a huge announcement on the book. We’re going to end it on that note but will definitely be keeping in contact with you to get more words on the appointments, books, Detox and everything else you have going on because there is so much positive energy for you right now. We’re really happy to see it and I hope all of our readers continue to keep you in our prayers regarding the future surgery and appointments to hope everything goes well. Thanks a whole lot for your time DOC, do you have any last words?

The D.O.C.: It was my pleasure man. Thanks a lot.

http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/1840/54/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:35:16 AM by Adon »
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Digital Pimpin'

Re: The DOC Interview: Detox & Surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 12:12:10 AM »
Props Luna 8)

So they're pushing Slim Da Mobster, but no word on Bishop? Damn...

TRG

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 12:17:03 AM »
Nice interview Luna

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:42:48 AM »
DP: Thanks! That's the word from The DOC.
TRG: Props!
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 12:47:54 AM »
Ok what the fuck is really going on with Bishop? How hard is it to say he got dropped or is still in the label, fucked up situation.  :-\
Jimmy told them to not even promote him by saying his name or something?  :laugh:

Good interview, although I'm skeptical about the Detox & never though that neck process could take like over 2 years.

DblPen

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:13:46 AM »
that was a nice interview. glad to see detox is being finished (again lol)  ;D

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 01:55:52 AM »
Good read Luna, props!

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 02:50:12 AM »
thanks a lot for the interview!  8)

good to know that The DOC didn't take the safe route: i really hope that he'll feel more confident after the surgery is done, even though it's not how it's supposed to work in life.
as far as a reality show is concerned, well i'm not really interested in it, but he should use some of the footage for a video of a new song!
funny to see that DOC is writing a book :laugh: i'm curious of how deep he's willing to go.

as far as Detox:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QFmB3szwRJQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QFmB3szwRJQ</a>

Nooc210

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Planets
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 02:51:32 AM »
swish!

great questions, & well written.

out of all the announcements, that book :o is what I really can't wait for, especially considering it was penned by the The D.O.C. himself.

major propz!  8)
The Chonic • 2001 • Compton •
http://www.drdre.com

David Gutterman

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 03:19:26 AM »
Thanx again Lunatic 63, good interview as always, nice to hear that the D.O.C. is still going to do the surgery , I want to see that documentary if its getting made.

and a book! damm! I'm so excited, his story is so amzin

Good luck with all them interviews!

Okka

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 03:36:42 AM »
Thanks for the interview homie. Damn it seems a bit odd that The D.O.C. doesn't know if Mel-Man is back with Dre or not.

2euce 7even

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 03:51:35 AM »

Blasphemy

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 05:32:12 AM »
thanks a lot for the interview!  8)

good to know that The DOC didn't take the safe route: i really hope that he'll feel more confident after the surgery is done, even though it's not how it's supposed to work in life.
as far as a reality show is concerned, well i'm not really interested in it, but he should use some of the footage for a video of a new song!
funny to see that DOC is writing a book :laugh: i'm curious of how deep he's willing to go.

as far as Detox:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QFmB3szwRJQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QFmB3szwRJQ</a>

"This is not make believe" lmao mother fucka the video is from 06. lol that's sad.

The Predator

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 07:08:12 AM »
12 songs on Detox? Please not that again  :(

Detox will actually be more of a solo Dre album then the previous guest heavy Chronic compilations.

D.O.C doing what he good at writing, a book that is!
Dre writing the last chapter (so now he finally wants to write) about their hip-hop adventures.
Will be a best-seller.

Props on a well conducted interview.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:10:32 AM by The Predator »

DblPen

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 07:26:36 AM »
12 songs on Detox? Please not that again  :(

Detox will actually be more of a solo Dre album then the previous guest heavy Chronic compilations.

D.O.C doing what he good at writing, a book that is!
Dre writing the last chapter (so now he finally wants to write) about their hip-hop adventures.
Will be a best-seller.

Props on a well conducted interview.

12 tracks like 12 detox steps. sound very dope to me