Author Topic: "Nuthin But A G Thang" Remix - FINAL VERSION + INSTRUMENTAL  (Read 1660 times)

Suga Foot

"Nuthin But A G Thang" Remix - FINAL VERSION + INSTRUMENTAL
« on: August 26, 2009, 10:06:33 AM »
I'm trying to remix "Nuthin But A G Thang", but I wanna do it right.  I plan on doing 4 or 5 drafts until I get it right. I would love feedback and opinions to help me along tho.  What's good? What's bad? What should I change? What should I keep?

I really wanna make this good, and dubcc is the highest concentration of Dre fans on the net.  So all suggestions are welcomed.

Dr. Dre & Snoop Doggy Dogg "Nuthin But A G Thang"

1st Draft:
<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=8296459-2a5" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=8296459-2a5</a>

Sorry about the low quality, the next draft will be better.  I've already changed the strings so they don't play through the whole song.  

2nd Draft:
<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=8300335-d25" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=8300335-d25</a>

-The high's might be too high on this one.  It sounds good on some speakers and to 'thin' on others.  Any feedback good or bad is appreciated.
-The sample in the vocals (the 'aaaahhhhhhh') has drums in it.  I gotta do something about that too

3rd Draft:
<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=8567190-2fa" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=8567190-2fa</a>

4th Draft (Final):
<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=8665703-d95" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=8665703-d95</a>

Instrumental
<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=8665713-d9c" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=8665713-d9c</a>

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 09:16:59 AM by Adon »

Cali Climate

Re: Help me remix "Nuthin But A G Thang" (+ Karma for feedback)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 10:34:52 AM »
Sounds good. Maybe on those 1-2 EP key hits, I'd give it some reverb or extend the release on them. And of course turn the vocals up but I know you jst got a rough draft.

LAXCENTRAL

Re: Help me remix "Nuthin But A G Thang" (+ Karma for feedback)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 08:37:24 PM »
 8)

Suga Foot

Re: "Nuthin But A G Thang" Remix (+ Karma for feedback) 2nd DRAFT
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 09:31:49 PM »
Sounds good. Maybe on those 1-2 EP key hits, I'd give it some reverb or extend the release on them. And of course turn the vocals up but I know you jst got a rough draft.

Thanks.  what do you think of 2nd draft?

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 09:37:01 PM »
damn 2nd draft is nice
maybe a lil work needs to be added...but its dope
mayhbe linin it up closer
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Suga Foot

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 09:40:53 PM »
damn 2nd draft is nice

Props for the feedback. U think the beat is missing something?  The acapella doesn't line up? 

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:48:01 PM »
yeah no doubt
but maybe a lil linin it up and IMO that will be real hard to do since youve done such a great job and this song wasnt made for this beat to begin wit
but the 2nd one is nice and im likin it alot
im feelin your style (especially that other one you made wit the middle eastern vibe)
maybe one day we can work together and make some bangers... 8)

damn 2nd draft is nice

Props for the feedback. U think the beat is missing something?  The acapella doesn't line up?  
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 08:18:50 AM »
Well I ain't got no producers ear or knowledge...this just from a listener's ear..

But judging from the 2nd draft, that beat, besides being ill, sounds like a story telling or a 'deeper' track than 'Nuthin' But A G Thang', you should pick another song I think, song and beat don't go wit each other in my honest opinion. But I think the beat! YOU did that beat word???

Suga Foot

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 08:22:41 AM »
yeah no doubt
but maybe a lil linin it up and IMO that will be real hard to do since youve done such a great job and this song wasnt made for this beat to begin wit
but the 2nd one is nice and im likin it alot
im feelin your style (especially that other one you made wit the middle eastern vibe)
maybe one day we can work together and make some bangers... 8)

Thanks, I'm gonna try to redo the vocal parts tonight. 

Suga Foot

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 09:01:53 AM »
Well I ain't got no producers ear or knowledge...this just from a listener's ear..

But judging from the 2nd draft, that beat, besides being ill, sounds like a story telling or a 'deeper' track than 'Nuthin' But A G Thang', you should pick another song I think, song and beat don't go wit each other in my honest opinion. But I think the beat! YOU did that beat word???

I made the beat specifically for this song. I based it off Leon Haywood's "I Wanna Do Something Freaky To You" (different part from the original sample tho).  I see what you're saying tho.  I was trying to make it more of a laid back song.  The synth melody is based off the original too.  Do you think it needs to be more upbeat?

I was trying to marry 2 of Dre's styles on the beat.  The old being G Funk based (the synth, rhodes etc), and the new being the simplistic drums (with the loud clap). 

The bass sounds a lil sloppy still.  I think if it were tighter and hit with the kicks it would make the beat sound a lil harder.

I appreciate the feedback and I will take it all into consideration.

Suga Foot

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 09:04:43 AM »
Oh and yes I did the entire beat.  I played it all, no samples.

G-Funk

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 12:26:50 PM »
the 2nd draft is amazing. The chorus "aaah", maybe you can change up the drum pattern to match it with the sample?

Suga Foot

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
the 2nd draft is amazing. The chorus "aaah", maybe you can change up the drum pattern to match it with the sample?

I think I'm just gonna take the 'aah' out completely and do something else in there.  It'll make it more my own that way.  I've been listening to this all day, I've got notes on what I'm gonna change tonight.

Props for the feedback.

Cali Climate

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 12:55:17 PM »
Wow the 2nd draft is amazing.

You're right about the highs being high. I'm on a laptop right now however though so I wasn't even able to heear any mid range or low end instruments you have in there, so take what I sayw ith a grain of salt.

The vocal sample - Yeah, you're right about the drums not fitting. Also, it seems as if the vibrato of her voice itself doesnt sync right with the drums, I'd lose it, maybe find something similar in an opera piece, where there are tons of long acapella "ahhhhhh"s, or if you're not in the mood for digging, just synthesize it.

Like I said though, amazing, amazing blend of the old and new. I think those reverbed claps have become the new worm synth as the west coasts defining sound.

Suga Foot

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 01:45:46 PM »
Wow the 2nd draft is amazing.

You're right about the highs being high. I'm on a laptop right now however though so I wasn't even able to heear any mid range or low end instruments you have in there, so take what I sayw ith a grain of salt.

The vocal sample - Yeah, you're right about the drums not fitting. Also, it seems as if the vibrato of her voice itself doesnt sync right with the drums, I'd lose it, maybe find something similar in an opera piece, where there are tons of long acapella "ahhhhhh"s, or if you're not in the mood for digging, just synthesize it.

Like I said though, amazing, amazing blend of the old and new. I think those reverbed claps have become the new worm synth as the west coasts defining sound.

Yeah I'm not the greatest at mastering.  I used the preset "Livemix" and it came out this way.  I'll just keep it simple on the next one.  I might try the vocoder on my microkorg for the 'aah' part. 

Thanks for the feedback!