Author Topic: nas 2nd best album?  (Read 827 times)

Matty

nas 2nd best album?
« on: August 29, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »
i know a lot of people dig stillmatic and its definitely dope as hell, but the 2nd best disc nas has put out (obviously after illmatic) is the lost tapes. got a lot of classic joints on there, just bumping that 'black zombies' right now 8)

god's son is also outstanding imo, shame about that crappy bravehearts track near the end. nas definitely one of the best ever. thoughts?

OG Hack Wilson

Re: nas 2nd best album?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 06:45:52 PM »
it was written

"silent murder" and "take it in blood" are fucking classics

maybe its the beats that carry those tracks tho, since it was Live Squad who produced them
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Al Bundy

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 06:46:19 PM »
it was written.

my favorite album out of all of his just for nostalgic reasons (although illmatic >>>>)

Makaveli's Food & Liquor

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 06:51:26 PM »
Illmatic > Lost Tapes > It Was Written > Stillmatic > God's Son > Hip Hop Is Dead/I Am.../Untitled > Street's Disciple > > > Nastradamus

4 Classics  + 9.5/10 + three 9/10s + 8/10 + 6.5/10 = Best Discography Ever

Michael

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 06:55:22 PM »
i didnt even mind Nastradamus lol

come get me, nas is like, life we chose, shoot em up, god love us, family, last words are all bad ass imo lol

Definitely the weakest tho...

sprite

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 06:58:45 PM »
it's hard to put Nas albums in order because lots of them are only half great

Nas is the man but I'd have to say his ear should have been better
lots of tracks with mediocre feel but dope lyrics in the end

was listening to The Firm album the other day
thinking how much better he'd have been if he had that solid production behind him always

I dont know, maybe some of you guys know what I mean

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 08:19:12 PM »
I know this is a sin because it's a west coast board but Street's Disciple is the best 2-disc release by a rap artist.  It at once pays homage to the golden era of hip-hop (through it's beat selection) while fleshing out Nas's diversity as an artist (great experimentation by Nas through Scarlett) and reflection of his depth as a human (the topics range from love, social conditions, persona history, musical history, politics, race.)  While people love Illmatic, I rate this as Nas at his finest.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Al Bundy

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 08:25:04 PM »
I know this is a sin because it's a west coast board but Street's Disciple is the best 2-disc release by a rap artist.  It at once pays homage to the golden era of hip-hop (through it's beat selection) while fleshing out Nas's diversity as an artist (great experimentation by Nas through Scarlett) and reflection of his depth as a human (the topics range from love, social conditions, persona history, musical history, politics, race.)  While people love Illmatic, I rate this as Nas at his finest.

maybe all of that shit you described happened on the cd but I still find half of the album boring as hell

sprite

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 08:26:01 PM »

maybe all of that shit you described happened on the cd but I still find half of the album boring as hell

totally agree with you, boring as fuck

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 09:54:11 PM »
:(

I read an interview with him around the time of that release and he admitted that he felt most comfortable in his skin during the recording of Steet's Disciple.  I think it really shows.  Besides when you listen to a double album you're in it for a longer haul than a solo effort so the playing time doesn't phase me.

To each their own.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 10:00:44 PM »

LMAO  like thats actually CLOSE to all eyez on me, wutang forever, r u still down, judgement day or ready to die
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Al Bundy

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 03:13:18 AM »

LMAO  like thats actually CLOSE to all eyez on me, wutang forever, r u still down, judgement day or ready to die

wu-tang forever = not classic.
r u still down = not classic.
judgement day = meths 2nd album? are you fucking crazy? it's not even two discs
ready to die = not even two discs

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 03:22:31 AM »

Wu-Tang Forever is a huge record to me, I consider this one more a classic than Street Disciple

Al Bundy

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 03:24:02 AM »

Wu-Tang Forever is a huge record to me, I consider this one more a classic than Street Disciple

i do also but it's no classic. there is a LOT of filler

NillerTheKid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 03:25:35 AM »

best hiphop double album ever
See these fans can't resist the rush,
they Wu-Tang for life
Scarred for life,
they can't forget the cuts