Author Topic: Official Jay-Z "Blueprint 3" discussion thread  (Read 7319 times)

The Watcher

Re: Official Jay-Z "Blueprint 3" discussion thread
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2009, 04:49:13 AM »
the only track im really diggin is empire state of mind, alicia keys killed that shit
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2009, 04:52:46 AM »
excluding a couple of duds, this shit is FRESH.
8) I agree..

Celph_Titled06

• Lil Geezy
  • New West!!
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2009, 06:34:15 AM »
that swizzy song makes my ears bleed..... jays flow is nice but that beat is garbage..... why do people insist on using this crappy producer swizz beatz?

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2009, 07:03:38 AM »
"Empire State of Mind" is gonna be huge...  8)
(Gonna be remixes coming from everywhere with this one..)

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2009, 08:30:07 AM »
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/09/a-first-listen-liveblog-of-jayzs-blueprint-3-.html

For those who have an intravenous Internet hookup, Jay-Z's long-delayed, much-anticipated "Blueprint 3" leaked sometime in the wee hours of yesterday morning and debuts today on Rhapsody's and MTV's websites. We listened to the entirety of Sean Carter's 11th album in one fell swoop -- not even taking a break to sip overpriced Champagne, smoke overpriced cigars or take our Maybach out for a leisurely spin. That's either dedication or... a paying assignment from our editor.

"What We Talkin' About" (ft. Luke Steele of Empire of the Sun)

Jay-Z has enlisted Luke Steele of Australian hairspray techno auteurs Empire of the Sun to sing the hook. For those doing the math at home, that means that the man behind this album has more face-time on a Jay-Z album than longtime collaborators DJ Premier and State Property.

In the course of the cut, Jay-Z claims, "I'm not talking about profit; I'm talking about pain." Within 30 seconds, he's bragging about being bff's with Barack Obama. Apparently, Jay-Z feels the pain of the potential loss of the public option more than we will ever know. Hova also declares "I'm not talking about [rivals] Jimmy [Jones], Game or Dame [Dash]," thus robbing him of any semblance of conflict that might make his music that much more interesting.

"Thank You"

Rather than use the liner notes, Jay-Z decides to write a song thanking the fans for supporting him. He mentions that he has 10 No. 1 albums -- a factual inaccuracy. He has 10 official solo albums released prior to this one, and not all reached No. 1. You'd think that with all of his money, he could at least pay sidekick Memphis Bleek to fact-check for him. He also mentions his predilection for wearing really nice suits and going to the opera.

"D.O.A."

The long-ago leaked first single proves that no matter how cranky and cantankerous Jay-Z sounds, a Janko Nilovic sample can salve all wounds. Moreover, whether you agree or not with his traditionalist stance, Jay at least has a coherent point here.

"Run this Town" (ft. Rihanna & Kanye West)

The second single currently earning heavy urban radio play. You've probably heard it. If not, let me give you a hint about who runs this town -- it rhymes with May-B.   

"Empire State of Mind" (ft. Alicia Keys)

Essentially, a list of New York City streets with the titular inspiration seemingly swiped from Nas'  "New York State of Mind." For the 723rd time, Jay-Z compares himself to Frank Sinatra, an analogue that's becoming ill-fitting. There's something timeless about Sinatra's catalog and his choice of collaborators. Something tells me that Mr. Hudson, featured on the last track of "Blueprint 3," is no Antonio Carlos Jobim. Even Alicia Keys can't save this track from foundering.

"Real as it Gets" (ft. Young Jeezy)

This feels like a shameless shill to get Southern rap fans to buy the album, lured by the promise of a Young Jeezy cameo. When used properly, Jeezy's gravelly timbre can produce earthshaking force; but on "Real," the result is both rappers abandoning their gritty street raps for self-worshiping ennui. It's hard to blame them; it's tough to stay hungry when you have a personal chef.

"On to the Next One" (ft. Swizz Beatz)

The  first track yet that doesn't make me want to skip onto the next one. Swizz Beatz is clearly channeling "A Milli," and while he doesn't get the exact same results, he clearly creates one of the album's standout tracks, sounding simultaneously au courant and catchy. Jay-Z continues his recurring obsession with being artistically progressive and moving forward.

"Off That" (ft. Drake)

Timbaland's beat sounds like one of the better castoffs from the last Justin Timberlake album, and Drake's hook is cool and self-assured. But there's something here that reads as stasis: Timbaland continues to envision the future as silver suits and astronaut ice cream, while Jay sounds like he would probably try to lecture the “Say Hey” kid for wearing tight pants.

"A Star is Born" (ft. J. Cole)

Featuring a guest appearance from J. Cole, the fledgling artist whom Jay-Z has signed to Roc Nation. Cole acquits himself fine with a nimble resonant verse about coming from poverty, though his performance lacks the appeal of past Jay proteges Beanie Sigel, Kanye West or Memphis Bleek.

"Venus vs. Mars"

A naked play to entice female listeners, with Timbaland delivering a monstrous beat. Unfortunately, Jay utilizes the lurid leering tone of the rich guy at the bar promising helicopter rides to any nubile female who will look in his direction. In 10 years, "Venus vs. Mars," will go down in history as the first rap song ever inspired by a self-help romance guide intended to illuminate gender differences. I can't wait until Drake releases his prog-rap opus, "He's Just Not That Into You."

"Already Home" (ft. Kid Cudi)

The most organic and hence best song on the album. Kanye fulfills his symphonic "Late Registration"-era aspirations and Jay fills it with regnant "Blueprint" majesty. The decision to pair up with Kid Cudi and Kanye West finally yields some dividends for Jay's experimentation. Granted, it's not exactly the London Muddy Waters Sessions, but it works. Kid Cudi's stoned insularity proves a nice foil to Jay's swagger and the song sounds fun and spontaneous. 

"Hate" (ft. Kanye West)

The logical continuation of the "Graduation" dud "Drunk and Hot Girls," "Hate" sounds like the result of staying up all night in the studio mixing various liquors and then letting the tape recorder roll. You're in that deluded state where you think that everything you record is genius and filled with revelations. Then you wake up the next morning to realize that except for three seconds, everything you made was garbage. Except that never happened, and Jay and Kanye decided to put it on the album.

"Reminder"

Where Jay-Z reminds us that he's better than you and me. Presumably, this is supposed to even out the hospitality of "Thank You."

"So Ambitious" (ft. Pharrell)

Apparently, all ambition means these days is making songs that both Pharrell and Jay would've scoffed at during their "Roc La Familia"-era salad days.

"Young Forever" (ft. Mr. Hudson)

Sampling "Forever Young" on the the final track is one of the worst decisions of Jay-Z's legendary career and confirms everyone's deepest fears about the album: that it's a Hail Mary attempt by a veteran artist to stay relevant. There's maturing gracefully and then there's this -- a maudlin cut that sounds like bar mitzvah montage rap. After hearing this, cleanse with "Brooklyn's Finest" on repeat.

Verdict:

Regardless of this lackluster effort, nothing can alter Jay-Z's place as one of the greatest rappers of all time. That said, despite several strong moments, "Blueprint 3" documents an artist who refuses to wallow in the past, but lacks a (ahem) blueprint for the future. As with all Jay-Z albums, it tries to be all things to all people, and occasionally succeeds, but more often than not, it offers a tepid futurism. If Jay-Z is rap's Rolling Stones, this is his "Dirty Work," even if he maintains that he doesn't like his colors too bright.

--Jeff Weiss

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2009, 08:33:09 AM »
That swizzy song is dope, it just shouldn't have swizzy vocals but everything else is cool.  Especially what jay is talking about.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

So Much Style

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2009, 08:34:23 AM »
only feeling:

reminder
hate
thank you
empire state of mind
what we talking about
so ambitious

the rest is HORRIBLE!!
So much style back at it again

famozni

• 'G'
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2009, 09:27:57 AM »
can somebody pm with vbr version of album, i have only 320 kbps, i cant find other version anywhere, plizzzzz

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2009, 09:40:52 AM »
This album is too poppy for my liking, yet, ironically, I disagree about Forever Young. At first I was like "Jesus, this is corny", but that against my will the track is stuck in my head and it comes with real emotion, I'm probably liking it more than any other track on the album so far.

Paul

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2009, 11:51:39 AM »
the production on the first track is disgusting and kinda set the tone for me, truely disapointed, im not even a Jay Z fan i just was intrigued after Kanyes coments

Need to take them with a pinch of salt from now on :)
funkyfreshintheflesh

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »
"So Ambitious" Jigga goes for that Reasonable Doubt flow...

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2009, 02:02:40 PM »
I actually think the Pharrell joint is the best one on the album (the hook is fly too: I'm so ambitious I might hit 2 sisters...lol). Jay and Neptunes been making some dope joints lately; this one and Blue Magic & I Know of American Gangster.

i got you on this one man. this joint is hot. then it gets ruined with the next track and its forever young sample... what the fuck jay? mr hudson? (kanyes' new lover? c/d? lol)

no really.. WHAT THE FUCK  ;D

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2009, 02:27:26 PM »
Given this some proper rotation today, and the tracks I keep coming back to are:

Thank You

Empire State Of Mind

A Star Is Born

Venus vs Mars

Already Home - probably my favourite

So Ambitious - Neptunes & Jay-Z, most consistent combo in rap? OK, there's Dre & Snoop etc, but I always check first for the Neptunes track on a Jay-Z album and I'm never disappointed.

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2009, 02:30:16 PM »
"So Ambitious" Jigga goes for that Reasonable Doubt flow...

Unfortunately he forgets the Reasonable Doubt lyrics.

Lunatic

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2009, 02:32:23 PM »
What We Talkin' About Ft. Luke Steel - 5/5. Perfect Intro. Jigga spits flames and the beat is insane. Dude on the hook is nice too.
Thank You - 3/5 - May grow on me. The beat and concept is hot. Got an issue with Jigga's experimental flow on this though.

D.O.A. - 5/5. Nothin to be said, y'all all heard it and it's real shit.
Run This Town Ft. Kanye West & Rihanna - 4.25/5 - Great mainstream beat and hook. Kanye murders it too.

Empire State of Mind Ft. Alicia Keys - 5/5. Alicia Keys really murders this hook. Beat is flames and Jigga on his shit here.
As Real As It Gets Ft. Young Jeezy - 4/5. Not as bad as I expected. Beat is fire and Jeezy did his damn thing. Better than I expected this to come out.

On To The Next One Ft. Swizz Beats - 4/5 I must say I am impressed with this. I fuckin hate Swizz Beats but this beat is fuckin flames, especially that background element :o Swizz vocals unnecessary though.

Off That Ft. Drake - 3.75/5 - Another good mainstream sounding joint. Timbo did his thing on the beat. Drake sounds good on the hook. Jay-Z flowed well here; more energetic.

A Star Is Born Ft. J. Cole - 5/5 Beat is pretty and hot cool concept to introduce J. Cole. Cole probably spits the best verse on the album :o
Venus Vs. Mars - 4/5 Pretty hot Timbo beat. Jay spits nice on here too; hook is poppy but whatever, still cool.

Already Home Ft. Kid Cudi - 4/5 Beat is fire. Does sound like a Kanye track though. Cudi sounds good over this.
Hate Ft. Kanye West - 2.5/5 Kanye spits hot on this! Jigga sounds good on it too. But it's very weird overall lol.

Reminder - 3.5/5 Beat is ok. Hook is very annoying. Jigga spits hot here though.
So Ambitious Ft. Pharrell - 3/5 Beat is eyy. Sounds like "Blue Magic" remake 2 me but not as good.

Young Forever Ft. Mr. Hudson - 5/5 Epic beat. Hudson sings well on this too. Perfect outro.

Def no classic or anything, tails off a bit at the end and I can see how some can hate the club/single/poppy joints. Also some classic Jigga cuts on here too. Not as good as AG though.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com