Author Topic: Thoughts on the current state of hip hop?  (Read 1855 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: Thoughts on the current state of hip hop?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 10:59:35 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with the state of hip hop, as long as I can still find good music to listen to every week.

I think people get too caught up in what is mainstream, when mainstream represents a very small portion of the music that is coming out. I turned off the radio years ago and I advise everyone do to the same. I couldn't even tell you the hottest 10 songs right now. It shouldn't matter because they are merely the songs that Clear Channel is getting paid to spin every 30 minutes. Regardless of what the current mainstream fad is, there will always be music of all kinds for people to listen to. All you need is an internet connection and the willingness to do a little searching.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 11:02:02 PM »
no groupie, but go bump Chamillionaire's Ultimate Victory & tell me hip hop is dead. 8)

acgrundy

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 11:09:58 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with the state of hip hop, as long as I can still find good music to listen to every week.

I think people get too caught up in what is mainstream, when mainstream represents a very small portion of the music that is coming out. I turned off the radio years ago and I advise everyone do to the same. I couldn't even tell you the hottest 10 songs right now. It shouldn't matter because they are merely the songs that Clear Channel is getting paid to spin every 30 minutes. Regardless of what the current mainstream fad is, there will always be music of all kinds for people to listen to. All you need is an internet connection and the willingness to do a little searching.

I think people need to understand what an opinion is.  Hardly anyone on this forum talks about any songs on the radio.  Hell...do they even play west coast music on the radio anymore?  This is a westcoast forum and half the fucking topics are about crooked I and death row, so I'm pretty sure most people on this forum are not too caught up w/ the mainstream radio hits.

I for one haven't listened to rap music on the radio in years.  I only listen to talk radio if I am listening to the radio.  That being said, rap music has never sounded worse off then it does today.  Yes, I have heard the garbage that will guaranteed never get any radio play.  Yes I have heard crooked I, bishop lamont, and dozens of other west coast rappers who will never make it on the radio.  And yes, I would rather listen to rap in the 90's over their new music.

Lunatic

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 11:10:27 PM »
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 11:34:56 PM »

I think people need to understand what an opinion is.  Hardly anyone on this forum talks about any songs on the radio.  Hell...do they even play west coast music on the radio anymore?  This is a westcoast forum and half the fucking topics are about crooked I and death row, so I'm pretty sure most people on this forum are not too caught up w/ the mainstream radio hits.

I for one haven't listened to rap music on the radio in years.  I only listen to talk radio if I am listening to the radio.  That being said, rap music has never sounded worse off then it does today.  Yes, I have heard the garbage that will guaranteed never get any radio play.  Yes I have heard crooked I, bishop lamont, and dozens of other west coast rappers who will never make it on the radio.  And yes, I would rather listen to rap in the 90's over their new music.

Lol...Crooked I and Bishop Lamont aren't exactly underground as they were signed with majors at one point. The rappers people talk about on here were either mainstream at one point and fell off, or are new rappers with some buzz who are trying to get signed. I'm talking about indie music.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:04:30 AM by rapsodie sees the bitch in you »

YSH

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • hi
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 12:14:28 AM »
hiphop is gettin better now 2008 was the worst year in hip hop

09 we hav a lot of good work comin from quik, rae, jay , em& dre, mos def etc

luvin it

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: i have such a short term memory that i even forget my own name
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 03:05:22 AM »
I feel like everyone has lost sight of what hip hop is all about. Everyone is all caught up in the so-called “hip hop” lifestyle and this auto-tune crap. There are a few mainstream artists that I still have respect for like Jay-Z. Death of auto-tune is DOPE. Love how he speaks the truth. What are your thoughts on hip hop today?
go discuss something different for a change

scarface2oh4

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 10:50:50 AM »

thisoneguy360

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 05:00:49 PM »
Most shit you see on TV is bullshit but underground hip hop will never die

lazy_sunday

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 11:16:37 AM »
I think Jay-Z is more than just an artist. He’s an entrepreneur and all around stand-up guy. I think this album will open up the gates for the unrecognized underground artists. He’s also doing a 9/11 benefit concert at MSG that I’m trying to win tickets for. Fuse is running a ticket giveaway http://www.fuse.tv/ontv/shows/jay-z/sweeps.html and will also be airing the concert live. Looks like a good time.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 11:50:04 AM »
Hip-Hop Is Dead.   

Hip-Hop was shot and killed on Sept. 13th, 1996.  It still took another 10 years before Nas released Hip-Hop Is Dead and made it's death official.

Hip-Hop started off as a culture comprised of the 4 elements, DJ, breakin, rapper, and graffiti in the 70's.  The art of graffiti writing had it's peak in the 70's.  The art of breakin and DJing had it's peak in the 80's.  And then the rapper had his peak in the 90's, as the mid-90's the culture reached it's climax in the figure of 2pac Shakur, the art form became a global world-wide phenomenon and 2pac was the alpha-male.  It threatened to become a revolution and change the world, so 2pac's life was snuffed out at the height of his fame, by a mysterious and still unknown assassin, because he threatened the to alter and greatly upset the Order of things.

It had died pre-maturely.  Eminem made his best efforts to once again bring life to the art form in the late 90's, Rawkus Records brought hip-hop consciousness to another level, and the last gasp for life was heard around the time 8 Mile and Get Rich Or Die Trying were released in 2003.  However, it has not been heard or seen since then, and Nas (the ambassador of hip-hop) officially declared it's death in 2006 with the release of Hip-Hop Is Dead.

May it rest in peace.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 12:00:38 PM »
Hip-Hop Is Dead.   

Hip-Hop was shot and killed on Sept. 13th, 1996.  It still took another 10 years before Nas released Hip-Hop Is Dead and made it's death official.

Hip-Hop started off as a culture comprised of the 4 elements, DJ, breakin, rapper, and graffiti in the 70's.  The art of graffiti writing had it's peak in the 70's.  The art of breakin and DJing had it's peak in the 80's.  And then the rapper had his peak in the 90's, as the mid-90's the culture reached it's climax in the figure of 2pac Shakur, the art form became a global world-wide phenomenon and 2pac was the alpha-male.  It threatened to become a revolution and change the world, so 2pac's life was snuffed out at the height of his fame, by a mysterious and still unknown assassin, because he threatened the to alter and greatly upset the Order of things.

It had died pre-maturely.  Eminem made his best efforts to once again bring life to the art form in the late 90's, Rawkus Records brought hip-hop consciousness to another level, and the last gasp for life was heard around the time 8 Mile and Get Rich Or Die Trying were released in 2003.  However, it has not been heard or seen since then, and Nas (the ambassador of hip-hop) officially declared it's death in 2006 with the release of Hip-Hop Is Dead.

May it rest in peace.

stfu

West-West Y'All

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2009, 03:54:16 PM »
Lol this guy really believe 2pac is a god aha  ...as if 2pac invented hip-hop and everything

Trip Dee

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »
lovin it & lovin it.

'hiphop is dead'... fuck you, do something. i'm tired of muthafuckas talkin n talkin... write, breakdance, dj, make music, everybody wants to be a fuccin philosopher...

Paul

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 04:48:08 PM »
Hip-Hop Is Dead.   

May it rest in peace.

Bullshit

How can Hip Hop be dead if Wu Tang is forever  8)
funkyfreshintheflesh