Author Topic: Thoughts on the current state of hip hop?  (Read 1858 times)

YSH

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • hi
Re: Thoughts on the current state of hip hop?
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2009, 01:56:14 AM »
i reckon deez south rappers killed hiphop in early 2000

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2009, 02:08:11 AM »
hip hop is alive and is breathing perfectly

Mainstream is dead not hip hop itself

Jimmy H.

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2009, 02:30:59 AM »
just saying, nobody bitched about Hip Hop's state until around the time Candyshop came out; be real.

& i didn't say it put him on the map, but it is hands down one of the biggest singles this decade (saleswise).
I don't know where you were but in my experience, when it was all Ja Rule and Nelly on the radio in 2001-02, people were really tired of it. It was a lot of oversaturation where you had a song that might have been good on its own but because of it being a hit, you had thirty songs just like it that would flood the rotation on the radio. You could very clearly see the problem coming back then. P2P sharing was just taking off so it wasn't a drastic overnight thing.

If anything, I remember 50 Cent coming on the scene and people looking at him like a breath of fresh air because he was the opposite of Ja Rule who'd been dominating the airwaves for some time at that point. But I'd say it all started to come undone with the new millienium. People hated all the jewelry-obsessed "bling bling" shit that Cash Money and the like were doing. Cats like Fat Joe went from doing really hard-edged NY-style gangsta records to doing more dance-oriented R&B stuff. There was the whole Nelly vs. KRS-One situation. I remember a lot of this because back then, I would listen to the radio a lot during my down time at work and I just couldn't deal with the hip-hop station at all.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2009, 03:19:28 AM »
just saying, nobody bitched about Hip Hop's state until around the time Candyshop came out; be real.

& i didn't say it put him on the map, but it is hands down one of the biggest singles this decade (saleswise).
i thought in da club sold more. what are yo utalking about nobody bitched about Hip Hop's state until around the time Candyshop came out. people have been bitching about the state of hip hop since cash money came around. hip hop has not been right since after 1997.

i don't know which sold more, but whose to say 50 Cent can't have two top selling singles within the same decade?

& no, no, no; the "Hip Hop Is Dead" movement started shortly before Nas' album & then Nas' album was like the "official" shit.

i don't remember people saying "Hip Hop is dead" when Dre put out 2001 & Eminem was dropping classics & Xzibit dropped Restless & Wu Tang was still putting out that dope shit.

We weren't. But the 80s heads probably were. A lot of people complained when N.W.A came out and gangsta rap became the new trend.

i really couldn't tell you, but it took off & people got over it fairly fast lol.

i doubt they went into "Hip Hop is over", crisis-mode; but like i said, i couldn't tell you.

I'm pretty sure they were. A lot of people called it the death of rap. The difference is that it was mostly contained to magazine articles and older people who were hip hop fans in the 80s, and those of us who grew up on 90s rap weren't being exposed to their opinions. The internet wasn't really big back then so every person's opinion on the planet wasn't being broadcast. Even in the late 90s/early 00s, not everyone had internet and blogging and forums hadn't really taken off so it wasn't like today where we are being exposed to every person's opinion.

midwestryder

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2009, 04:21:28 AM »

i thought in da club sold more. what are yo utalking about nobody bitched about Hip Hop's state until around the time Candyshop came out. people have been bitching about the state of hip hop since cash money came around. hip hop has not been right since after 1997.

i don't know which sold more, but whose to say 50 Cent can't have two top selling singles within the same decade?

& no, no, no; the "Hip Hop Is Dead" movement started shortly before Nas' album & then Nas' album was like the "official" shit.

i don't remember people saying "Hip Hop is dead" when Dre put out 2001 & Eminem was dropping classics & Xzibit dropped Restless & Wu Tang was still putting out that dope shit.

We weren't. But the 80s heads probably were. A lot of people complained when N.W.A came out and gangsta rap became the new trend.

i really couldn't tell you, but it took off & people got over it fairly fast lol.

i doubt they went into "Hip Hop is over", crisis-mode; but like i said, i couldn't tell you.

I'm pretty sure they were. A lot of people called it the death of rap. The difference is that it was mostly contained to magazine articles and older people who were hip hop fans in the 80s, and those of us who grew up on 90s rap weren't being exposed to their opinions. The internet wasn't really big back then so every person's opinion on the planet wasn't being broadcast. Even in the late 90s/early 00s, not everyone had internet and blogging and forums hadn't really taken off so it wasn't like today where we are being exposed to every person's opinion.
see that is what have been saying for a while to people. that is straight truth you just kicked .  i grew up on the 80's & 90's hip hop & must people from my era felt hip hop had gone bad in end 1997 & after .Just like jimmy h said my era hated cash money & that bling bling crap

Macdaddy_93

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2009, 04:28:37 AM »
Well now that Deathrow are bringing out all this unreleased i think hip hop is going to be good again, im very stuck in my ways and continously listen to stuff from the 90's, its what i love. I do check out new stuff but i never get that excited, maybe im just getting too old maybe im just ignorant but i like what i like so long live 90's hip hop.
"Now i'm the mack daddy, had he, not known about the city where I'm from, dum diddy dum"

midwestryder

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2009, 04:39:26 AM »
Well now that Deathrow are bringing out all this unreleased i think hip hop is going to be good again, im very stuck in my ways and continously listen to stuff from the 90's, its what i love. I do check out new stuff but i never get that excited, maybe im just getting too old maybe im just ignorant but i like what i like so long live 90's hip hop.
there is nothing wrong with that.

MistaNova

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2009, 05:29:36 AM »
The 90's had a lot of great songs, but IMO that doesn't mean that the artists of today don't have much to contribute. The really popular chart-hitters just lack appeal to some due to them being club/pop themed, though that's all people want in a song these days. Bouncy-beat, catchy hook, 3 famous features and auto-tuned verses.
Instead of waiting for the glory days to come back (if it ever will), I go and look for talent in the midst of several different movements going on. There are a lot more than just hyphy, New West and jerk.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2009, 09:24:21 AM »
i would say '90-'00 >>> any decade, for rap.

i do admit i like gangsta rap more-so than any other type of rap, so i suppose you can call me biased.

but like i was saying, classics were dropped even after Biggie died.

the last true classic, that people throw in the conversations with the Biggie's & the Pac's is Eminem's MMLP.

maybe mainstream music was dying at that time, but surely not to the state it's at now; at least they were rapping.

Paul

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2009, 11:46:41 AM »

i do admit i like gangsta rap more-so than any other type of rap, so i suppose you can call me biased.

the last true classic, that people throw in the conversations with the Biggie's & the Pac's is Eminem's MMLP.

maybe mainstream music was dying at that time, but surely not to the state it's at now; at least they were rapping.

Yeah 99-02 was my personal favourite era in especially west coast hip hop, even now lookin back

2001, restlest, D&YG, Eastsidaz, Last Meal, first two Em albums, no limit topp dogg,RAW, The W etc, claaaasssssics
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:02:13 PM by Paul »
funkyfreshintheflesh

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2009, 11:59:52 AM »

I see The Blueprint and Stillmatic get thrown around as classics as well. Get Rich Or Die Tryin, Speakerboxx/The Love Below...Not too many after that, but there's a good reason. A classic is an album that has stood the test of time. We probably won't know more of this decade's classics until its over.

Lanothegreat

• 'G'
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2009, 12:57:10 PM »
I feel like everyone has lost sight of what hip hop is all about. Everyone is all caught up in the so-called “hip hop” lifestyle and this auto-tune crap. There are a few mainstream artists that I still have respect for like Jay-Z. Death of auto-tune is DOPE. Love how he speaks the truth. What are your thoughts on hip hop today?
well...i can say that artist did go over the limit with the auto tune or melodyne...which ever u choose...but it bothers me that artist go over the limit lyrically...like jay-z..i love jay---im a real life fan...but im an artist that dont bite..and when i see artist like jay bitin biggie,snoop,nas,slick rick...it bothers me   {(besides lyrics in D.O.A he keeps saying "uuugh" inm his adlibs..thats biggies soul trade mark,and now all of a sudden jay and nas is cool...nas is the only person who couldda said anything abt it)}     .....lil wayne,camron..plenty of ppl are major biters as well

THEN
the west is on the same track its BEEN on...the same list of artist being grabbed from misc. buckets and recycled....it makes me sick
sure we got jerkin music which is still new but its like on some youngster music sounding similar to the bay....that or gangbangin{game used to be a spitter but its all gangbanging now..all the collabs}

so im stuck in limbo

3500 Plays In 1 day...170 dl's
Mannish Da Jula- Intergalactic Feat.Lano

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8597771

Inglewood C.A. & Anchorage A.K.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2009, 03:44:23 PM »

I see The Blueprint and Stillmatic get thrown around as classics as well. Get Rich Or Die Tryin, Speakerboxx/The Love Below...Not too many after that, but there's a good reason. A classic is an album that has stood the test of time. We probably won't know more of this decade's classics until its over.

true, but Eminem made such an impact with the race thing & his music (even if he has a majority white listeners) still sells as good as anybody.

i would say his first two albums are true, undisputable classics; but i am an Eminem fan, so don't listen to me. :P

Blasphemy

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2009, 06:23:23 PM »

true, but Eminem made such an impact with the race thing & his music (even if he has a majority white listeners) still sells as good as anybody.

i would say his first two albums are true, undisputable classics; but i am an Eminem fan, so don't listen to me. :P

Eminem has a strong contender for being GOAT (He is a great, but as for all time is debatable). Given his Catalog he has 2 classics under his belt 1 that's over the top, and 1 that's actually a really good piece of work that calls out bullshit. His other 3 albums are debatable, The Eminem show really is a good contender as being a classic, given the controversy it still sparked and is one of his last better lyrics ones, but Encore is by no means a contender as a classic in anyway.

Relapse well that's debatable, given the time between the albums, the topics being the same, the same topics with no new expressions, only notables include "Beautiful" and "Déjà Vu" which show what the Entire album COULD of been. Instead its really rehash and fails to capture his former lyricism and doesn't really announce a return. Relapse 2 might be better given its said to be "underground" through out the entire album.

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »
After hearing an album like OBFCLII, I'd say it just got a nice lift.