Author Topic: Thoughts on the current state of hip hop?  (Read 1856 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Thoughts on the current state of hip hop?
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2009, 06:35:51 PM »
i would say '90-'00 >>> any decade, for rap.

i do admit i like gangsta rap more-so than any other type of rap, so i suppose you can call me biased.

but like i was saying, classics were dropped even after Biggie died.

the last true classic, that people throw in the conversations with the Biggie's & the Pac's is Eminem's MMLP.

maybe mainstream music was dying at that time, but surely not to the state it's at now; at least they were rapping.

I see The Blueprint and Stillmatic get thrown around as classics as well. Get Rich Or Die Tryin, Speakerboxx/The Love Below...Not too many after that, but there's a good reason. A classic is an album that has stood the test of time. We probably won't know more of this decade's classics until its over.

true, but Eminem made such an impact with the race thing & his music (even if he has a majority white listeners) still sells as good as anybody.

i would say his first two albums are true, undisputable classics; but i am an Eminem fan, so don't listen to me. :P

Eminem has a strong contender for being GOAT (He is a great, but as for all time is debatable). Given his Catalog he has 2 classics under his belt 1 that's over the top, and 1 that's actually a really good piece of work that calls out bullshit. His other 3 albums are debatable, The Eminem show really is a good contender as being a classic, given the controversy it still sparked and is one of his last better lyrics ones, but Encore is by no means a contender as a classic in anyway.

Relapse well that's debatable, given the time between the albums, the topics being the same, the same topics with no new expressions, only notables include "Beautiful" and "Déjà Vu" which show what the Entire album COULD of been. Instead its really rehash and fails to capture his former lyricism and doesn't really announce a return. Relapse 2 might be better given its said to be "underground" through out the entire album.

SSLP & MMLP are undisputable classics to me, just amazing work.

Eminem Show has some real amazing & classic songs on it, but has a different side to it, it didn't have that dark feel to it; it's a personal classic to me; but disputable for debate.

Encore? no, let's not go there lol.

Relapse was great to me, but not as good as The Eminem Show, but much better than Encore.

MMLP = SSLP > The Eminem Show > Relapse >>>>> Encore.

Blasphemy

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2009, 06:49:44 PM »

i do admit i like gangsta rap more-so than any other type of rap, so i suppose you can call me biased.

the last true classic, that people throw in the conversations with the Biggie's & the Pac's is Eminem's MMLP.

maybe mainstream music was dying at that time, but surely not to the state it's at now; at least they were rapping.

I see The Blueprint and Stillmatic get thrown around as classics as well. Get Rich Or Die Tryin, Speakerboxx/The Love Below...Not too many after that, but there's a good reason. A classic is an album that has stood the test of time. We probably won't know more of this decade's classics until its over.

true, but Eminem made such an impact with the race thing & his music (even if he has a majority white listeners) still sells as good as anybody.

i would say his first two albums are true, undisputable classics; but i am an Eminem fan, so don't listen to me. :P

Eminem has a strong contender for being GOAT (He is a great, but as for all time is debatable). Given his Catalog he has 2 classics under his belt 1 that's over the top, and 1 that's actually a really good piece of work that calls out bullshit. His other 3 albums are debatable, The Eminem show really is a good contender as being a classic, given the controversy it still sparked and is one of his last better lyrics ones, but Encore is by no means a contender as a classic in anyway.

Relapse well that's debatable, given the time between the albums, the topics being the same, the same topics with no new expressions, only notables include "Beautiful" and "Déjà Vu" which show what the Entire album COULD of been. Instead its really rehash and fails to capture his former lyricism and doesn't really announce a return. Relapse 2 might be better given its said to be "underground" through out the entire album.

SSLP & MMLP are undisputable classics to me, just amazing work.

Eminem Show has some real amazing & classic songs on it, but has a different side to it, it didn't have that dark feel to it; it's a personal classic to me; but disputable for debate.

Encore? no, let's not go there lol.

Relapse was great to me, but not as good as The Eminem Show, but much better than Encore.

MMLP = SSLP > The Eminem Show > Relapse >>>>> Encore.

Relapse vs Encore is a debatable subject that will probably never be given proper do.. Encore still generated political controversy with songs like "Mosh" and other controversy like his racism tape controversy.Controversy with The Source and Benzino was responded in "Like Toy Soldiers" while the album showed a serious degrade in quality. Tracks like "Ass like that" were just fucking clubs with some crazy funny overtones. Encore lyrically is nothing compared to his previous 3 as such it takes a huge hit, but the Content is there.

Relapse on the other hand, returns him to his Slim Shady Persona, better rhymes but the content is limited. The album is called "Relapse" ok, Its suppose to be a personal album, so why is he singing as Rain man? under the Slim shady Persona???  It didn't make sense. With the Slim shady persona you get the fucking Slim Shady Topics. 4 years since Encore, the Tracks show a noticeable degrade in content, and rehash.

The album is called "relapse" cause of his drug addiction, yet we only get a couple of tracks dealing with it. The album content wise is rehash.  The lyricism has improved since Encore (should be noted Encore was done during his drug addiction) but the content has degraded. No longer showing any political prowness, stuck with his Mom, Attacking Celebs (Wasting a perfect opportunity to talk about the Iraq situation, he also wasted a good beat. Please I get the songs meaning, but honestly wtf).  The only 2 tracks were he truly shined was Deja Vu and Beautiful.

These 2 albums will probably remain his most debated (relapse 2 has yet to drop, as such we have no idea if the content finally improves).

Encore - Has better content, Noticeably  degraded in areas, lyrically is a failure.

Relapse - Better Lyricially, Content isn't their and is degraded and rehash.

IMO

TMMLP>TSSLP>TES>Encore>Relapse I prefer content over some catchy lyric about his mom druggin him... Even though I except Good lyrics from Eminem his Encore pretty much put him as lyrical as the average west coast rapper (who always simply put clarity over complexity)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:51:50 PM by Blasphemy »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2009, 09:11:28 PM »
^i got into his flow on Relapse.

i mean, maybe not every song was about drugs, but he name dropped "Valium" on just about every song lol.

i think the Relapse was more solid than Encore; but we generally agree with the other three albums, which are amazing, so it's all gravy. 8)

Jimmy H.

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2009, 10:34:31 PM »
On the Eminem debate, it's not a solo effort but I think his work on the "8-Mile" soundtrack was some of the best of his career. No funny cartoon stuff and he wasn't trying to do any gangsta records on their either. I actually really love that soundtrack. I think 2002 was one of the last years where hip-hop still felt alive to me. There were signs that things were getting bad but it could still go either way at that point.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2009, 07:19:37 AM »
On the Eminem debate, it's not a solo effort but I think his work on the "8-Mile" soundtrack was some of the best of his career. No funny cartoon stuff and he wasn't trying to do any gangsta records on their either. I actually really love that soundtrack. I think 2002 was one of the last years where hip-hop still felt alive to me. There were signs that things were getting bad but it could still go either way at that point.

great music on that Soundtrack.

Lose Yourself is one of his best songs ever.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2009, 06:44:10 PM »
another 1 of these threads  :'(      i always thawt its been hot since day 1/   Class of 88'

no1else

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2009, 01:18:04 PM »
I think hip hop is still very much alive. It's just been changing and transforming. Sometimes for the better and sometimes not. Someone mentioned Jay-Z here and I think he's another hip hop success story which is actually great. Really love what he's been doing especially with this new album and the benefit concert at MSG. Gonna watch it on Fuse tomorrow night at 9. Gonna be SICK!

locdasmoke

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2009, 02:40:12 PM »
In the mainstream I would say Hip Hop is DEAD.... In the underground it's alive and well though, but there's too many major corporate companies trying to exploit the culture and make it in to some kind of pop music shit and everybody's just trying to get rich off the shit.... I kind of agree, the last REAL artist to address real issues was Pac, at least in the mainstream! The only ones doing that now are all underground, like for example Immortal Technique! That dude really exposes the truth about shit!

midwestryder

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2009, 04:15:05 PM »

'90-'00 my be for your age . but real true hip hop heads know the best era was 86-97 >>>>>>>>>>> any decade, for rap. after 97 hip hop started getting stupid & alot of my friends started to walk away from rap because it started to become crap. hip hop was already hurting by the time eminem showed up. what was popular when eminem showed up was bands like korn,limp bizikit,def tones,hed p.e. stanid & coal chamber . that was sound that was cool for that time when eminem showed up. so hip hop was not even cool when eminem showed up.

westside159

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2009, 12:01:41 AM »
As Far as Mainstream hip hop goes its Dead , There is no true official mainstream hip hop anymore , 90 Percent of music on radio and Bet are Pop Rap ... The Only worthy mainstream artist that i give a pass to are Ludacris , Snoop , and maybe T.I ... but the best hip hop doesnt get played out on the radio and Bet these days ... You have to look for it more now ..

blkb

• 'G'
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2009, 02:59:48 AM »
Its coming back!