Author Topic: My short review of the Chronic Re-Lit Walmart exclusive edition  (Read 2176 times)

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
My short review of the Chronic Re-Lit Walmart exclusive edition
« on: September 01, 2009, 10:40:43 AM »
Just got the Wal-Mart exclusive of The Chronic re-lit.  First off, the bonus song "Smoke On" by Snoop is awesome, well worth the price of the CD alone.  It's real smooth and samples the old song "Float On".  It's only 2 verses though, but it's that classic young snoop sound from the Chronic era...sounds like it could have easily been a Chronic track.  It doesn't say in the liner notes, but i'm positiive it was produced by Dre.  Sounds like it came right from the Chronic recording sessions.

The Walmart edition is only one disc.  It comes in a normal plastic CD case which I prefer, rather than the cardboard foldout case that the regular Chronic Re-Lit comes in.  There are supposedly 2 bonus songs, one is Smoke On, the other is Necessary Roughness by Rage, which was already released on her CD.  Apparently Levi doesn't know this, as she continues to release Rage tracks as being "unreleased from the vault" when they were already on her album.  Bad news is, all the songs are masked, they don't have any radio versions of the singles on there, which sucks.  The masking is pretty bad and makes songs like "Bitches Ain't Shit" virtually unlistenable.  It's kind of a ripoff too, in that i got the normal version with 7 bonus tracks and extra DVD full of stuff for 9.99 at Best Buy, but then Walmart, I had to pay 11.88 for this one with essentially one bonus track and a single disc.  

But in my opinion, the Smoke On bonus track is well worth the money.

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
Re: My short review of the Chronic Re-Lit Walmart exclusive edition
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 10:48:07 AM »
Thanks for the review.  Props for your dedication as a fan to buy both versions.  So, in total, how many "unreleased" (whether true or not) songs has WideAwake released?

3 track sampler from a few months back
6 songs available from their web site when submitting to their contest
7 From the Vault songs
2 WalMart songs Smoke On and Nec. Roughness

Any others?
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

MarshColin

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 10:48:41 AM »
Just got the Wal-Mart exclusive of The Chronic re-lit.  First off, the bonus song "Smoke On" by Snoop is awesome, well worth the price of the CD alone.  It's real smooth and samples the old song "Float On".  It's only 2 verses though, but it's that classic young snoop sound from the Chronic era...sounds like it could have easily been a Chronic track.  It doesn't say in the liner notes, but i'm positiive it was produced by Dre.  Sounds like it came right from the Chronic recording sessions.

The Walmart edition is only one disc.  It comes in a normal plastic CD case which I prefer, rather than the cardboard foldout case that the regular Chronic Re-Lit comes in.  There are supposedly 2 bonus songs, one is Smoke On, the other is Necessary Roughness by Rage, which was already released on her CD.  Apparently Levi doesn't know this, as she continues to release Rage tracks as being "unreleased from the vault" when they were already on her album.  Bad news is, all the songs are masked, they don't have any radio versions of the singles on there, which sucks.  The masking is pretty bad and makes songs like "Bitches Ain't Shit" virtually unlistenable.  It's kind of a ripoff too, in that i got the normal version with 7 bonus tracks and extra DVD full of stuff for 9.99 at Best Buy, but then Walmart, I had to pay 11.88 for this one with essentially one bonus track and a single disc.  

But in my opinion, the Smoke On bonus track is well worth the money.

Well, thanks for the being the guinea pig, I'm heading to Best Buy to get my copy then. That would be nice of you to upload that track since most of us will not be buying that version now, due to your review, but if u don't want to it's all good. Good lookin' out though, glad I know which one to get now.

MarshColin

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 10:54:09 AM »
Thanks for the review.  Props for your dedication as a fan to buy both versions.  So, in total, how many "unreleased" (whether true or not) songs has WideAwake released?

7 From the Vault songs

Any others?

3 track sampler + 6 available from the site for the contest - 3 of them already being available +7 Re-Lit bonus tracks + 2 walmart edition - 1 being released already

comes to a grand total of 14. Not shabby so far, and with Snoop's Lost Sessions supposedly hitting in October and that box set hitting November, it looks like we have a lot in store for us in the future.

Let's also not forget that they gave us the stems for Nuthin But A G Thang for the remix contest.

So far in 6 months WideAwake will have done more for us fans than Death Row did for us in nearly a decade.

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 10:58:48 AM »

7 From the Vault songs

Any others?

To my knowledge, that's it.  They have a Danny Boy song playing on their webpage, but I don't think they have that song available for download.

Well, thanks for the being the guinea pig, I'm heading to Best Buy to get my copy then. That would be nice of you to upload that track since most of us will not be buying that version now, due to your review, but if u don't want to it's all good. Good lookin' out though, glad I know which one to get now.

No problem, I was going to buy both anyway...the way i look at it is that i want to support these guys so we'll get more stuff and I essentially paid 20.00 for 8 new unreleased tracks, a DVD interview with Dre and a bunch of music videos and stuff.  So if that was in a package by itself, i would've bought it.  Plus, I never bought any of the remastered Chronics they released in the past, and my OG copy was sounding pretty bad.  Plus, i've downloaded alot of unreleased Death Row stuff from the bootleggers and stuff the last few years, so it's nice to be able to buy and support this new company.  I'm sure "Smoke On" will pop up on here soon enough.  I'd rather not post it immediately up here, because i want other people to buy the album too, but i can see not wanting to buy both copies, so in a week or so here, if no one has posted the song yet, i'll post it up.

Blasphemy

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 11:08:04 AM »
send me the track please. I already own The Chronic and I can't really spend all that just for 1 track. If it had radio versions maybe, cause those are pretty ok. but yeah never I mean I will never pay for a crappy backmask peace of shit, Fuck censorship.

Also:The track, is it also censored? Is it just a track with no cursing? lol

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 11:11:19 AM »
Is ''Smoke On'' explicit or clean also? And if you are planning to upload the track. Could you rip it in the highest bitrate possible?

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 11:47:54 AM »
Is ''Smoke On'' explicit or clean also? And if you are planning to upload the track. Could you rip it in the highest bitrate possible?

Guys, read my post...i said if no one's posted it in a week or so, i'll post it up.  I want to give people a chance to buy this, i'm not going to post the song the day it comes out.  Also, it is masked very slightly.  There's only 4 or 5 curse words in the song so it's not too dirty, and they do a lot better masking this song than on the clean Chronic.  Just a very light scratch over each dirty word.  You can hardly tell it's censored.  Unlike the clean Chronic where there are huge drawn out scratches over each dirty word.

MarshColin

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 12:08:04 PM »

Guys, read my post...i said if no one's posted it in a week or so, i'll post it up.  I want to give people a chance to buy this, i'm not going to post the song the day it comes out.  Also, it is masked very slightly.  There's only 4 or 5 curse words in the song so it's not too dirty, and they do a lot better masking this song than on the clean Chronic.  Just a very light scratch over each dirty word.  You can hardly tell it's censored.  Unlike the clean Chronic where there are huge drawn out scratches over each dirty word.

Are the censored parts reversed or do they actually add a sound over it?

Efrain

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 12:16:46 PM »
I agree you should wait a week before posting the song... but a clip wouldn't hurt  :)

Also, hows the quality of the song? After checking the "From the Vault" bonus CD it's evident NONE of those tracks were professionally mixed or mastered---which is absolutely unacceptable. Seriously how the fuck could they not have someone mixdown these records? Either way I'm sending lara an email and cc'ing everyone in that company. Clearly at this point they just don't have a clue what they're doing. Case in point is that Dogg Pound record "I Rock Mics" and the Kurupt & Snoop "Would you Ride" off the Vault Bonus CD.... those songs are at best in  unpresentable condition and at worst, unlistenable. Completely unacceptable for a major release of this caliber IMO. 

I'll be damned if they try to put out an entire album of Snoop stuff without having it mixed or mastered. 

Giesuz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Veterano
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 12:17:16 PM »
Thanks for the review.  Props for your dedication as a fan to buy both versions.  So, in total, how many "unreleased" (whether true or not) songs has WideAwake released?

7 From the Vault songs

Any others?

the real unreleased tracks WIDEawake released are:

Do What You Do    Danny Boy   Full Pardon Sampler
Hoodstar   Crooked I   Full Pardon Sampler
Pay For The Pussy   Petey Pablo   Full Pardon Sampler
Back In Bed Again   Jewell   free download
That's My   Kurupt   free download
I Roc Mics   Tha Dogg Pound   free download
Poor Young Dave   Snoop Doggy Dogg   Chronic Re-Lit Bonus
Slippin' In The West   Kurupt & CPO   Chronic Re-Lit Bonus
Smoke Enough Bud   Jewell & Snoop Doggy Dogg   Chronic Re-Lit Bonus
Foo Nay Mic   CPO   Chronic Re-Lit Bonus
Dogg Collar   Snoop Doggy Dogg, Bad Azz & Big Pimpin'   Chronic Re-Lit Bonus
Touch Down   Snoop Doggy Dogg & Threat   Chronic Re-Lit Bonus
Would U Ride?   Kurupt, Tyrone, Daz, Snoop Doggy Dogg & Amber   Chronic Re-Lit Bonus
Smoke On   Snoop Doggy Dogg (produced by Dre)   Re-Lit Bonus (Wal-Mart)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:19:33 PM by R!dah »

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 12:22:25 PM »

Are the censored parts reversed or do they actually add a sound over it?

It's reversed, but like i said, it's very fast and it's very easy to still make out the word they are censoring.

As far as the quality, i don't know, i don't have an ear for that kind of stuff.  It sounds good to me, i can bump it in my car, it's probably not perfect...it kind of sounds like the same quality of I Roc Mics, but I didn't find that song to be "unlistenable" so I don't know.  I'm sure someone else on this board besides me will buy the Wal Mart version of this.  I'm sure someone will post it up on here, probably by the end of the day if i had to bet on it.

Ridah662

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 12:27:01 PM »
the more people get the more they complain, its worst than dealing with a bitch, i mean common go buy the shyt if u want real quality...& stop beggin like bitchez....

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 12:29:09 PM »
WOW so we wont get access to the dirty version?

wtf
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Giesuz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Veterano
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »
WOW so we wont get access to the dirty version?

wtf

maybe its on the snoop album next month