Author Topic: Is this the return of real hip hop?  (Read 861 times)

westside159

Re: Is this the return of real hip hop?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 09:56:47 AM »
Yes good hip hop is making a comebacc with those albums , Only Built , Relapse 2 , The Worlds Enemy -Bone , Blueprint 3 , Dr Dre's Solo album , Lupe Fiasco's next album , even 50 Cents Before I Self Destruct , The Wizard Of Poetry , The G Filez , Snoop's next album , Method Mans solo , Redmans Solo  etc etc

The Best albums comin out

MediumL

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 10:29:55 AM »
doubt most of those will drop this year ^^^. Redman and Meth dropping solos should be dope though!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 11:55:10 AM »

Its not, theres a lack of energy on it that brings the album down

yeah but hopefully the sound is good enough to overcome the lack of energy

Just finished listening to the Kid Cudi album, it gave me hope, but then disappointed.  Hip-Hop is Still Dead.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

sav

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 01:42:18 PM »
Just because something isn't good doesn't mean it isn't real. What makes fake hip hop fake? Some of the best hip hop is in the gangster rap category and that is complete fantasy in most cases. I could take Biggies verses from Brooklyn's Finst of Reasonable Doubt and show you rapping at it's finest but it's some of the fakest shit in music. Meanwhile so very bad Will Smith verses could be completely legit and very real.

Stop saying real hip hop. Just because something sucks doesn't mean it's not real. Just say good or bad.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 02:46:43 PM »
Just because something isn't good doesn't mean it isn't real. What makes fake hip hop fake? Some of the best hip hop is in the gangster rap category and that is complete fantasy in most cases. I could take Biggies verses from Brooklyn's Finst of Reasonable Doubt and show you rapping at it's finest but it's some of the fakest shit in music. Meanwhile so very bad Will Smith verses could be completely legit and very real.

Stop saying real hip hop. Just because something sucks doesn't mean it's not real. Just say good or bad.

The reason I'd call an album like the Chronic "real" is that it represented the style and character of the hood in Compton.  Whereas Will Smith is representing Hollywood.

Blasphemy

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 03:16:13 PM »
How many people can actually say what's real hip-hop and actually get it correct? 10 bucks says half the mothers throwing it around don't know what real hip-hop is and only go based off the people who do know. Swear, time for another poll lol 8)

Cali Climate

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »

The reason I'd call an album like the Chronic "real" is that it represented the style and character of the hood in Compton.  Whereas Will Smith is representing Hollywood.

But if Will Smith is accurately representing the style and character of hollywood, doesn't that make him just as real?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 04:44:10 PM »

But if Will Smith is accurately representing the style and character of hollywood, doesn't that make him just as real?

Sure.

See it all depends on your point of reference.  See, this had a lot to do with what was going on in the entertainment industry back in the days gangsta rap began.  Basically in those days music and entertainment did not show that kind of lifestyle.  Back then the biggest rap acts were MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice.  And people like Michael Jackson were still the biggest stars in music.  So obviously there was a feeling around Compton that their was a lot of talent and creativity in the area, but that their voices weren't being heard.  And often they were asked to sell-out like Hammer to make it big. 

So when NWA came out and when the Chronic came out, from the perspective of the average everyday man on the streets, it was "keeping it real".  So that's where the term comes from.  When Dre says "keep it real" he is talking about the shit that used to go unheard and Hollywood that he was now presenting to a broader audience.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 07:39:10 PM »

Every form of art accurately represents something and misrepresents something when it tackles such a broad subject as a lifestyle. It's neither fake or real. It just is. Whether it's good or bad can debated with me. I just don't get the point in equating good with "real".

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 08:15:43 PM »

Every form of art accurately represents something and misrepresents something when it tackles such a broad subject as a lifestyle. It's neither fake or real. It just is. Whether it's good or bad can debated with me. I just don't get the point in equating good with "real".

Yeah... you know what... you are so right!  Hey man, too bad somebody like you wasn't around to tell Dr. Dre this before he made the album the Chronic, he could have avoided massive failure, and put a disclaimer in the liner notes that said "All references to 'keeping it real' are relative only to certain groups of people, and should not in any way be taken as the reality of all people of all walks of life".

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 09:27:02 PM »
infinite you speak some truth but you're also hater

just stop with this hip-hop is dead shit
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 10:24:47 PM »

Yeah... you know what... you are so right!  Hey man, too bad somebody like you wasn't around to tell Dr. Dre this before he made the album the Chronic, he could have avoided massive failure, and put a disclaimer in the liner notes that said "All references to 'keeping it real' are relative only to certain groups of people, and should not in any way be taken as the reality of all people of all walks of life".

What are you talking about? I never said Chronic was a bad album and needed to be more real. It's agreat album and the character he plays in the album is representative of a certain culture. But let's not be foolish. Dre was in it for the cash. Just like Suge was. They played characters. In Suge's case life ended up imitating art and he paid the price for that. Neither of these guys were real spokesmen for the streets, ever. They exploited the struggles of the ghetto for profit, all the while romanticizing it for mass appeal. They sold their phony representation of Compton life to the white suburbs and made a lot of cash doing it. No one in the mainstream market wanted to hear about real every day problems of young black men in the ghetto. They wanted gangland tales of bravado filled mass murderers and women treated worse than property.

I'd argue this track out of New York the year before Chronic came out does a better job representing Compton life than anything on Deathrow ever did.

It's a much better track and much "realer", and it never broke the mainstream. There was no charasmatic lead vocalist to make it sound pop, and no easy to listen to sample to carry the track. And the lyrics were too realistic and depressing to ever break through.

Dre sold out just like Hammer did, and that's why he sold all those records.

You can change these lyrics slightly like I did and it would easily fit on Doggiestyle.

I'm on a roll and it's time to go solo
Rollin in my 5.0
With my ragtop down so my hair can blow
The bitches on standby
Waving just to say HI
Did you stop?
No--I just drove by
Kept on pursuing to the next stop
I bust a left and I'm heading to the next block
That block was dead
Yo--so I continued to A1A Beachfront Ave.
Bitches were hot wearing less than bikinis
Rockman lovers driving Lamborghinis
Jealous 'cause I'm out getting mine
Snoop with a guage and Kurupt with a nine
Reading for the chumps on the wall
The Chumps are acting ill because they're so full of eight balls
Gunshots ranged out like a bell
I grabbed my nine--
All I heard were shells
Fallin on the concrete real fast
Jumped in my car, slammed on the gas
Bumper to bumper the avenue's packed
I'm tryin to get away before the jackers jack
Police on the scene
You know what I mean
They passed me up, confronted all the dope fiends
If there was a problem
Yo, I'll solve it
Check out the hook while my Dr Dre revolves it

Roccy

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 12:00:58 AM »
why return? real hip hop was here all the time
For real, I guess it's the cool thing to say hip-hop is dead.
Nas said so and we have to agree with him ::)

@ the OP you forgot a shitload of great 'real hiphop' albums.
Dopium, A Brand You can Trust, Intermission, Alchemist, Krizz Kaliko.
And that's just the past 2 months...

Listen to what you like and shut the fuck up.
how it really goes down..

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 12:44:33 AM »

What are you talking about? I never said Chronic was a bad album and needed to be more real. It's agreat album and the character he plays in the album is representative of a certain culture. But let's not be foolish. Dre was in it for the cash. Just like Suge was. They played characters. In Suge's case life ended up imitating art and he paid the price for that. Neither of these guys were real spokesmen for the streets, ever. They exploited the struggles of the ghetto for profit, all the while romanticizing it for mass appeal. They sold their phony representation of Compton life to the white suburbs and made a lot of cash doing it. No one in the mainstream market wanted to hear about real every day problems of young black men in the ghetto. They wanted gangland tales of bravado filled mass murderers and women treated worse than property.

I'd argue this track out of New York the year before Chronic came out does a better job representing Compton life than anything on Deathrow ever did.

It's a much better track and much "realer", and it never broke the mainstream. There was no charasmatic lead vocalist to make it sound pop, and no easy to listen to sample to carry the track. And the lyrics were too realistic and depressing to ever break through.

Dre sold out just like Hammer did, and that's why he sold all those records.

You can change these lyrics slightly like I did and it would easily fit on Doggiestyle.

I'm on a roll and it's time to go solo
Rollin in my 5.0
With my ragtop down so my hair can blow
The bitches on standby
Waving just to say HI
Did you stop?
No--I just drove by
Kept on pursuing to the next stop
I bust a left and I'm heading to the next block
That block was dead
Yo--so I continued to A1A Beachfront Ave.
Bitches were hot wearing less than bikinis
Rockman lovers driving Lamborghinis
Jealous 'cause I'm out getting mine
Snoop with a guage and Kurupt with a nine
Reading for the chumps on the wall
The Chumps are acting ill because they're so full of eight balls
Gunshots ranged out like a bell
I grabbed my nine--
All I heard were shells
Fallin on the concrete real fast
Jumped in my car, slammed on the gas
Bumper to bumper the avenue's packed
I'm tryin to get away before the jackers jack
Police on the scene
You know what I mean
They passed me up, confronted all the dope fiends
If there was a problem
Yo, I'll solve it
Check out the hook while my Dr Dre revolves it

oh shut up man, you're acting like Dr.Dre is some sort of evil 19th century capitalist type  ::)
Dre is not just in it for the money, but also for the art.
yes he crossed over with NWA, but you make it sound like it's a bad thing to bridge the gap between underground and mainstream