Author Topic: "George W. Bush didn't understand economic problems as President"  (Read 345 times)

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
"George W. Bush didn't understand economic problems as President"
« on: September 16, 2009, 12:25:09 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/09/16/2009-09-16_george_w_bush_didnt_understand_economic_problems_as_president__exspeechwriter_in.html

It seemed like every time President George W. Bush stepped before the cameras during last fall's stock market meltdown, the Dow tumbled.

It's a good thing the public couldn't see what was going on behind the scenes at the White House, according to an insider's account.

Bush is pictured as a desperate, bumbling lame duck with little grasp of the economic turmoil around him in the tell-all book by ex-speechwriter Matt Latimer in "Speech-Less: Tales of a White House Survivor."

Hours before Bush was to give a speech last September outlining the administration's $700 billion plan to buy up troubled mortgages, for instance, Latimer writes that Bush clearly didn't understand his own plan.

"We're buying low and selling high," Latimer quotes Bush as saying over and over in an excerpt posted yesterday on GQ's men.style.com Web site.

"The problem was that his proposal didn't work like that," Latimer noted.

Finally, after some staffers explained to Bush that his mortgage bailout plan included no such likely return, Bush barked: "Why did I sign on to this proposal if I don't understand what it does?" Latimer writes.

Perhaps this wasn't surprising, Latimer suggests, in a White House where one of the top economic advisers was Bush buddy Al Hubbard, who comes off sounding more like Otter in "Animal House."

"The only thing I knew about Al," writes Latimer, "was that he went around putting whoopee cushions on people's chairs in the West Wing."

A Bush aide has denounced Latimer's book as an "act of betrayal."

Cali Climate

Re: "George W. Bush didn't understand economic problems as President"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 01:49:08 PM »
There's a shocker

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 09:22:31 AM »

What utter bullshit, putting the weight of the responsibility on the former president when it's the federal reserve whose share holders are the major banks who decide the fate of the economy. I mean sure they lobby hard to push through legislation which the politicians pass, but this simply underlines the politicians are pawns. Do you think it's better now do you? America and the world are in a debt they can NEVER repay, economists across the board have gone from a cautious approach to essentially predicting financial armageddon and sure enough, the underlying figures are truly chilling.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 01:28:02 PM »

What utter bullshit, putting the weight of the responsibility on the former president when it's the federal reserve whose share holders are the major banks who decide the fate of the economy. I mean sure they lobby hard to push through legislation which the politicians pass, but this simply underlines the politicians are pawns. Do you think it's better now do you? America and the world are in a debt they can NEVER repay, economists across the board have gone from a cautious approach to essentially predicting financial armageddon and sure enough, the underlying figures are truly chilling.

It rained all August up here in Canada. Guess whose fault that is.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 03:15:22 PM »

Hmm could be the dirty commy's, those damn liberals or the muslims not sure  ;D

Ronny

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 08:49:09 PM »

Hmm could be the dirty commy's, those damn liberals or the muslims not sure  ;D

Nope. It's Dubya's fault. You see he didn't listen to Gore and didn't put in place the sanctions to stop global warming and that's why it rained all August.

I actually heard two idiots talking about that on the subway this summer. And I didn't blow up and start screaming at them.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 10:31:52 PM »
 :tosser: