Author Topic: Why Did M.O.P Tank?  (Read 253 times)

Elano

Why Did M.O.P Tank?
« on: September 25, 2009, 09:50:28 AM »
Foundation, the new disc by M.O.P did not make it into The Billboard 200. According to the Nielsen SoundScan report the disc sold close to 2,100 copies in its debut week.

The fuck? Sure, there’s not a huge market for non-progressive, hardcore rap in these ever trend conscious times, but even KRS-One and Buckshot’s album (which I haven’t even bothered to listen to yet) sold 8,400. While I can’t personally confirm it, I’d bet my kidney that Survival Skills doesn’t have any songs that knock as hard as ‘Blow The Horns’, ‘Bang Time’ or ‘Crazy’. Predictably, Jay-Z sold a bunch of CD’s to Oprah viewers, while Kid Cudi’s fruit-filled debut sold over 100,000 in it’s first week. Meanwhile, Raekwon has slung an impressive 89,000 units in two weeks, which is both a testament to the power of Wu-Tang Stans worldwide and proof positive that an EMI deal still holds weight. So why didn’t Bill and Fame get any love at the register?

There are a few factors that may have contributed to Foundation not performing as well as hoped:

- Blame KOCH (aka E1 Entertainment). Once known as the old rap graveyard, KOCH managed to carve out a nice little niche for themselves for a while, as well as having a reputation for sharing a far larger slice of the pie with their artists. That was then, however. None of my local chain stores had Foundation on the shelves this week, suggesting that E1 aren’t exactly A-1 in terms of distribution muscle.

- Not Dotting I’s and Crossing T’s. I get the impression that the new M.O.P was just thrown together at the last minute, as it features a few older mixtape tracks, mistakes in the track-listing and production credits and even used incomplete versions of some somngs (like the Premier track that was meant to have scratches on the hook).

- Shout Rap = Not Trendy. As much as it defies imagination, a lot of rap fans can’t fux with screaming on the mic, preferring Whisper Rap or whatever retarded shit is hot right now.

- No Promotion. Other than a couple of interviews and MP3 blasts, there weren’t any V-Blogs or ‘Month of Freestyles’ from the Brownsville duo. Actually, thank fuck there wasn’t.

- Only Broads Buy CD’s. Female Mash-Out fans do exist, but they all boost their music from Best Buy.

- Bad Timing. September has seen some heavy-hitters dropping new product. Maybe the First Family just got lost in the sauce.

- The Intehents? It’s urban legend that M.O.P. tapes are the most stolen rap releases ever, but I’m not sure if downloading is to blame here. It’s safe to say that a lot more people leeched BP3 and Cuban Linx 2.

People Need Their Effin’ Ears Cleaned Out.

http://www.unkut.com/

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Why Did M.O.P Tank?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 10:00:25 AM »
survival skillz>>>>>>
Mop fell the fuck off....long time ago
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

MediumL

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 10:02:05 AM »
lol. Foundation was a dope CD. I mean the rapping isnt mind blowing but the production is tight and its a definite 4/5 album. One of the best albums to drop so far this year imo.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:03:01 AM »
survival skillz>>>>>>

Have you heard the new album?

In all seriousness, I am not surprised it sold what it did. People think just because you see a album promoted on a couple forums and interviews done on a couple websites that the promo was on point.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 10:05:42 AM »

i have and i wasnt feelin it...they changed their style IMO
and the krs one album wasnt all that but it mos def was better IMO

survival skillz>>>>>>

Have you heard the new album?

In all seriousness, I am not surprised it sold what it did. People think just because you see a album promoted on a couple forums and interviews done on a couple websites that the promo was on point.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 10:41:37 AM »
Yeah I like Survival Skills more but I actually enjoyed the hell out of Foundation. Nice blend of new and old as far as the sound of the album for me.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:53:42 AM »
to each is own...theres prolly a few releases im feelin more than you so it evens out...lol
but IMO they fell off, long time ago
Cube

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:55:22 AM »
to each is own...theres prolly a few releases im feelin more than you so it evens out...lol

All good fam, just 2 opinions at the end of the day.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 10:58:10 AM »

yeah no doubt and good lookin on approachin it that way vs sayin fuck you, mop is dope, etc....
UNDERSTANDIN WHAT THE OPPONENT IS SAYIN

Cube

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 11:04:54 AM »

yeah no doubt and good lookin on approachin it that way vs sayin fuck you, mop is dope, etc....
UNDERSTANDIN WHAT THE OPPONENT IS SAYIN

Nah I don't do that. Can't expect everyone to feel the same way about the same album. Although some people here cannot seem to understand that too well lol.

MediumL

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 11:11:41 AM »
I gotta agree with D though. I could see why someone may think they fell off cause I never really bumped the old stuff that much so I've got little to compare this release to. But to me this album is a 4/5 dope album, something which is pretty rare atm.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

GimmeYourShoes

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 11:33:39 AM »
The M.O.P. album was pretty good but not that tempting after all.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6</a>