Author Topic: Young Capone: So So Def & Beyond [Interview]  (Read 206 times)

Lunatic

Young Capone: So So Def & Beyond [Interview]
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:29:47 AM »
http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/1988/54/

Raptalk.Net hooked up with Young Capone, a southern artist you all should be familiar with after his buzzing "I'm Hot" single landed him a deal with So So Def a few years ago.

After sitting on the shelf, Capone grew frustrated in 2007 and left his first major label home. Capone speaks about his feelings on the situation, and why he isn't bitter over it; including what he learned from mogul Jermaine Dupri.

Now running his own independent label situation, Capone is gearing up to release his "Small Things to a Giant" album which of course, we discuss in great detail!

Enjoy...

Read Full Interview Here:
http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/1988/54/
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Lunatic

Re: Young Capone: So So Def & Beyond [Interview]
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 09:30:20 AM »
Raptalk.Net: Tell us about the initial buzz you created with your first single “I’m Hot.”

Young Capone: That was one of my biggest songs up to this date. It was big in the industry and got me my first deal with So So Def. That song really put me out there. I got that really from just grinding in the streets. I was just getting out of high school at the time. It just went down.

Raptalk.Net: That landed you the So So Def deal. You spent three years on So So Def without the album dropping. You got frustrated and ended that relationship in 2007. How did you learn from that experience from a business standpoint?

Young Capone: To me it wasn’t necessarily a bad situation. I felt like more could have been done. I felt like more could have been done on my part, more done on their part. I learned a lot from that situation being around Jermaine Dupri and Nitti. I did good things with them. I learned what to do and what not to do. It really helped me out. I know what to do with the situation I’m in now. It put me in a great place now. It gave me a lot of game.

Raptalk.Net: What did you learn from Jermaine Dupri and do you still have a relationship with him today?

Young Capone: We see each other and we’re cool. There is no bad blood. He taught me to be consistent with my music and to stay on my grind. He told me to go hard. He taught me to be out here working your music everyday. Timing and consistency is everything.

Raptalk.Net: Tell us about the label situation that you’re in now?

Young Capone: I have my own label with my business partner called Trotti Entertainment. It’s basically a record label we put together with plans of dropping this album “Small Things to a Giant.”

Raptalk.Net: Tell us about your Trotti Entertainment imprint.

Young Capone: It’s independent.

Raptalk.Net: How do you balance being CEO or co-owner of a label and an artist at the same time?

Young Capone: I got a management team that keeps me focused. I have a lot of good people on my team that keep me up with what’s going on. They help me balance everything out. At the end of the day, I just make a lot of label executive decisions in terms of what goes out and what we should be doing. That isn’t too hard. I just stay in the studio. I like to keep myself occupied anyways. It really doesn’t matter. It’s a small thing to a giant.

Raptalk.Net: We’re going to get into the album. Are you releasing the album independently on your label or are you looking for a distribution deal?

Young Capone: At the end of the day, I just want the best thing. Whatever ends up being the best thing for me, if I can end up working something out with one of these major labels and they give me a good situation with me having creative control over my project, then of course I’d love to work with a major and my label. At the end of the day, it’s all about the best situation. If a major label isn’t willing to meet with me 50/50, I’ll end up putting it out independent. I don’t have a problem with putting it out independent.

Raptalk.Net: Overall, tell us about the upcoming album “Small Things to a Giant.”

Young Capone: I think it’s great. It’s some good work. It’s my first album and I put a lot of time into it. I poured a lot of my blood, sweat and tears into it. It’s a great album. I didn’t try to rush it. I didn’t try to move too fast. I know that first impressions are everything.

Raptalk.Net: Why did you name the album “Small Things to a Giant”?

Young Capone: A lot of people think it’s difficult me being my age, coming from a major label to your own independent trying to do the things that I’m trying to do. A lot of people feel that it’s impossible for me to do it and I just want to prove them wrong with the album “Small Things to a Giant.” I’m just proving me wrong. I’m showing them anything can be done as long as you have your mind set to it. There are a lot of people out there thinking I can’t do it. I’ve been doing it for so long and a lot of people in the world think that Young Capone is just playing around. They feel like I won’t actually bring out the album. It’s just about proving everybody wrong and that’s the perfect title. At the same time, it’s motivation for people all over the world to let them know they can do anything they want; it’s possible.

Raptalk.Net: Where does the name Young Capone come from?

Young Capone: I like Al Capone. He is one of my favorite gangsters. I just like the name and at the time, I just ran with it. People were already calling me that in the hood. I just stuck with it.

Raptalk.Net: Tell us about the first single “She Choosin” featuring Mario.

Young Capone: That’s a song I did when I first started my label. I ran into J. Erving who is Mario’s manager. We did some stuff together for my label. I just told him the direction I was trying to go in with the album and its first single. We got with Mario and we got it in. We came up with the song. Justice League produced the track and we just came out with it.

Raptalk.Net: Were you happy to work with Mario over any other hook singers in the game right now?

Young Capone: I thought it was very different. A lot of people use T-Pain and Trey Songz. I don’t have anything against those guys; I just wanted to introduce something new to the game. After I did the song with Mario, I now hear Mario on a lot of songs with a lot of different rappers now. I heard him on one with Plies, Gucci Mane and so on. I feel like that was something I started instead of me following the trend that someone else started because at first, Mario was strictly R&B.

Raptalk.Net: What other guests do you have on the album?

Young Capone: I also have Bobby Valentino and we’re working on something with Bun B. I don’t want to put too many features on the album. I want the album to be really just based on me and comfortably mixed. I don’t want people to think I had to get different people to make my album sound good. I want to let it be all me.

Raptalk.Net: Justice League produced the single with Mario. What other producers did you work with?

Young Capone: I produced on the album. I have the Justice League who produced on the album. I have Nitti who I used to be sign to when I was with Jermaine Dupri; he produced on the album. I have Shawty Redd on the album. I have a few in-house producers from my label.

Raptalk.Net: Do you have a favorite song on the album? If so, why that song?

Young Capone: I like all of them really. I don’t have one particular favorite. I really like all of them. I cherish the album and every song on it with it being my first album. I really tried to put this album out so it means a lot to me. It’s a big project. They’re all my favorites. All of them will stay with me for the rest of my life because of me going through the situation I went through just to get the album out. To finally get it out, all of those songs will always stay with me in my memory and that is why there all my favorites.

Raptalk.Net: Does it have a tentative release date at this time?

Young Capone: We’re looking for late fall or winter.

Raptalk.Net: Thanks a lot for your time. Do you have any last words for us?

Young Capone: Be on the lookout for the album “Small Things to a Giant.” Check out the single “She Choosin” featuring Mario. Hit me up on MySpace at www.myspace.com/youngcapone. Hit me up on Youtube at www.youtube.com/youngcaponetv. That’s it man. Support the label.

Blood$

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »
I was wondering what happened to this dude not too long ago... seems like he just vanished after "I'm Hot" and "What It Iz"

I'll probably peep his album when it comes out

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 07:10:11 PM »
I was wondering what happened to this dude not too long ago... seems like he just vanished after "I'm Hot" and "What It Iz"

I'll probably peep his album when it comes out
thanks for reading and good to hear!