Author Topic: Snoop Doggy Dogg - The Lost Sessions [2009] [Discussion Thread]  (Read 10985 times)

EML

• Lil Geezy
Re: Snoop Doggy Dogg - The Lost Sessions [2009] [Discussion Thread]
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2009, 03:50:27 PM »
Gonna get the  best buy cd for sure the this week or next week.
Let's get along with the Mexicans
And we can all have peace on the sets again
Imagine that if it took place [ha ha ha]
Keeping the smile off their white faces
2pac
Blacks and Mexicans stop all that bullshit in the pen
Understand that is us verse them
Ice Cube

mikeOG

• Quadruple OG
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2009, 03:53:05 PM »
I welcome that the Death-Row vault has been cracked open so we can hear what was stashed away from that great era.

The mixing/mastering on this is feeble, you wont be able to blast it properly while cruising down the street in ya 64.
If Brian G couldn't fix the sound quality then there's a few if any that could of done it better.

All 90's G-funk junkies should smoke to this at least once.

Yeah i hear ppl complaining about the quality but maybe they fixed it as much as they could. It could be that the dat tapes or whatever the masters were on werent that great of quality. All 90's deathrow fans should be happy that they're releasing this stuff and that its not stored away forever.

Widewake im pretty sure tried their best to released them in original form with the best quality they can deliver. props to them.

Now go out and buy this shit and support it if you can afford it!

Ridah662

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »
I welcome that the Death-Row vault has been cracked open so we can hear what was stashed away from that great era.

The mixing/mastering on this is feeble, you wont be able to blast it properly while cruising down the street in ya 64.
If Brian G couldn't fix the sound quality then there's a few if any that could of done it better.

Yeah i hear ppl complaining about the quality but maybe they fixed it as much as they could. It could be that the dat tapes or whatever the masters were on werent that great of quality. All 90's deathrow fans should be happy that they're releasing this stuff and that its not stored away forever.

Widewake im pretty sure tried their best to released them in original form with the best quality they can deliver. props to them.

Now go out and buy this shit and support it if you can afford it!

amen to that.....

Rickdeeznutz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 04:18:40 PM »
The Best buy version of the CD leaked on another forum....Wont have money till Friday. Soo im going to see how good this really is 8)

Rickdeeznutz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »
I only need the 3 bonus tracks. Hook it up!  :)

The best buy group rip is out, its evrywhere....Shit I cant find a version without the bonus songs. Just look and youll find it

Efrain

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 04:47:56 PM »

Pretty much.

Mastering has NOTHING to do with mixing. This is NOT true. There is an adage in mastering "garbage in, garbage out." This is completely trashed from the mixing, the greatest mastering engineer in the world couldn't fix this. See Metallica's Death Magnetic for example.   

Matty

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2009, 05:03:01 PM »

Pretty much.

Mastering has NOTHING to do with mixing. This is NOT true. There is an adage in mastering "garbage in, garbage out." This is completely trashed from the mixing, the greatest mastering engineer in the world couldn't fix this. See Metallica's Death Magnetic for example.    

this is true. this release has shabby mixes, very amatuer :loopaper:

some cool music though.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2009, 05:08:33 PM »
Two lessons should be learned from The Lost Sessions:

1) Sometimes the released product is a lot better than the OG. Case in point, "Keep It Real". Snoop's solo version, while good, does not come close to the version that was released by the Original Death Row. Same with the song that uses the Head Doctor verse (although the true OG with the heavy Prince sample shits on the released version of "Head Doctor").

2) Not every single piece of music that is ever recorded in a studio should see the light of day. The problem with the cd is that a lot of tracks sounded like they were leftovers or studio scraps. Even "Eat a Dick" or "Fallin' Asleep On Death Row" sound like they were not meant to be on an album. I hope that when Wide Awake comes out with stuff after the Box Set, that they actually pick songs that sounded like they were meant to be released.

I don't mind the mixing. You guys have to understand that these tracks were recorded 10-15 years ago and technology has advanced to the point where a pro can only do so much to improve the quality.

Balk

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2009, 05:14:07 PM »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:21:10 PM by Jome »

Biggzy

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2009, 05:14:43 PM »

1) Sometimes the released product is a lot better than the OG. Case in point, "Keep It Real". Snoop's solo version, while good, does not come close to the version that was released by the Original Death Row. Same with the song that uses the Head Doctor verse (although the true OG with the heavy Prince sample shits on the released version of "Head Doctor").

2) Not every single piece of music that is ever recorded in a studio should see the light of day. The problem with the cd is that a lot of tracks sounded like they were leftovers or studio scraps. Even "Eat a Dick" or "Fallin' Asleep On Death Row" sound like they were not meant to be on an album. I hope that when Wide Awake comes out with stuff after the Box Set, that they actually pick songs that sounded like they were meant to be released.

I don't mind the mixing. You guys have to understand that these tracks were recorded 10-15 years ago and technology has advanced to the point where a pro can only do so much to improve the quality.

i agree, most of these trakz, though we should be greatful that they got released in good quality, they were never meant to be on an album.. maybe thats why it was called lost sessions.. but as an album its not that amuzing to the ear..

EFFeX

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2009, 05:15:34 PM »

Very well thought out post, I agree with pretty much everything said here.

Biggzy

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2009, 05:24:01 PM »
thats wat i meant when i said lara was playin us for fools, she releasin all this bullshit to make back her money! we all know the typa shit shit thats contained in that vault BUT WE AINT SEEIN THAT SHIT!!!

The boxst shoulda contained all unheard shit too.. there coulda been a better selection of snoop tracks for this release..

Efrain

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2009, 05:37:05 PM »

A quality post man props...gotta take you to task on that last point though.

Dre mixed the original Doggystyle album WITH that 10-15 year old technology and it sounded AMAZING. These reels are from the same sessions, produced with the same instruments, recorded the same way. At the very least they should sound like the material on the original release.

In fact, the gold standard for modern mixing engineers are the same solid stage logic (SSL) consoles Dre was using back in the 90's. Additionally, that Doggystyle Master reel was mixed down to DAT back in 93 the EXACT SAME WAY he mixed down Chronic 2001.

I keep harping on this because a lot of you guys don't understand that this is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE and has NOTHING to do with the inherent audio quality on those reels. This is a botched job by people who don't have a clue how to run a business, a record label or manage a release.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2009, 05:45:08 PM »

Dre mixed the original Doggystyle album WITH that 10-15 year old technology and it sounded AMAZING. These reels are from the same sessions, produced with the same instruments, recorded the same way. At the very least they should sound like the material on the original release.

In fact, the gold standard for modern mixing engineers are the same solid stage logic (SSL) consoles Dre was using back in the 90's. Additionally, that Doggystyle Master reel was mixed down to DAT back in 93 the EXACT SAME WAY he mixed down Chronic 2001.

I keep harping on this because a lot of you guys don't understand that this is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE and has NOTHING to do with the inherent audio quality on those reels. This is a botched job by people who don't have a clue how to run a business, a record label or manage a release.

I don't really know much about the process of mixing, I'm assuming that a lot has changed in the way music has been recorded and mixed within the past 10-15 years. If Wide Awake had people that knew what they were doing when putting the product together, the final result might have been something more cohesive and less like a hodgepodge of tracks they found and slapped them together to create an album.

woof

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2009, 06:02:32 PM »

i agree with this post!!

they should hire a REAL professional engineer/mixer and not some nobody "Coyote" dude
get DJ Quik he is a very good mixer, he mixed several records on Deathrow