Author Topic: Snoop Doggy Dogg - The Lost Sessions [2009] [Discussion Thread]  (Read 10988 times)

The Watcher

Re: Snoop Doggy Dogg - The Lost Sessions [2009] [Discussion Thread]
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2009, 06:06:42 PM »
yeah Dre mixed it off the same reals, but it was all fresh back then

these reels have had like 15 years to deteriorate, get bent out of shape or whatever, so obviously the sound quality isnt gonna be exactly the same. we've all heard the stories of how death row just had shit lying around everywhere, so i'm willing to bet they werent really too concerened with taking care of this kinda shit either.

im happy with how it sounds, can't wait for my copy to arrive
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Blasphemy

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2009, 06:09:10 PM »

these reels have had like 15 years to deteriorate, get bent out of shape or whatever, so obviously the sound quality isnt gonna be exactly the same. we've all heard the stories of how death row just had shit lying around everywhere, so i'm willing to bet they werent really too concerened with taking care of this kinda shit either.

Majority of this stuff say in a Vault. So it would pretty much be cut off from any elements causing it to deteriorate.

Efrain

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2009, 06:10:55 PM »
Two lessons should be learned from The Lost Sessions:

1) Sometimes the released product is a lot better than the OG. Case in point, "Keep It Real". Snoop's solo version, while good, does not come close to the version that was released by the Original Death Row. Same with the song that uses the Head Doctor verse (although the true OG with the heavy Prince sample shits on the released version of "Head Doctor").

2) Not every single piece of music that is ever recorded in a studio should see the light of day. The problem with the cd is that a lot of tracks sounded like they were leftovers or studio scraps. Even "Eat a Dick" or "Fallin' Asleep On Death Row" sound like they were not meant to be on an album. I hope that when Wide Awake comes out with stuff after the Box Set, that they actually pick songs that sounded like they were meant to be released.

I don't mind the mixing. You guys have to understand that these tracks were recorded 10-15 years ago and technology has advanced to the point where a pro can only do so much to improve the quality.

A quality post man props...gotta take you to task on that last point though.

Dre mixed the original Doggystyle album WITH that 10-15 year old technology and it sounded AMAZING. These reels are from the same sessions, produced with the same instruments, recorded the same way. At the very least they should sound like the material on the original release.

In fact, the gold standard for modern mixing engineers are the same solid stage logic (SSL) consoles Dre was using back in the 90's. Additionally, that Doggystyle Master reel was mixed down to DAT back in 93 the EXACT SAME WAY he mixed down Chronic 2001.

I keep harping on this because a lot of you guys don't understand that this is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE and has NOTHING to do with the inherent audio quality on those reels. This is a botched job by people who don't have a clue how to run a business, a record label or manage a release.

i agree with this post!!

they should hire a REAL professional engineer/mixer and not some nobody "Coyote" dude
get DJ Quik he is a very good mixer, he mixed several records on Deathrow
'

Exactly. And not even Quik, they could just as easily hire Tommy Daugherty (who mixed Makaveli, Gang Related, RR&GB etc) to do the mixing.

A mixing engineer like that would typically charge $200 an hour and average 5-7 hours a song. He'd have probably done the entire album for 10k. It's just such a waste not to considering their production costs (already having the fucking music completed!) are exactly----ZERO.  

Zeus

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2009, 06:17:05 PM »
Sounds  fine to me, album is dope copped it at best buy.
Best west coast board on the net, sign up

http://WWW.BASEMENT24.PROBOARDS.COM/

Zeus

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2009, 06:19:34 PM »
Dude is right some of this stuff wasnt meant for release but you have to understand one thing. The rap game in general and the west rap scene in particular is garbage in 2009. Death Row studio scraps are better than 95% if the new stuff dropping.
Best west coast board on the net, sign up

http://WWW.BASEMENT24.PROBOARDS.COM/

Rickdeeznutz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »
Dude is right some of this stuff wasnt meant for release but you have to understand one thing. The rap game in general and the west rap scene in particular is garbage in 2009. Death Row studio scraps are better than 95% if the new stuff dropping.

Completely agree, Im just happy we finnally got some banging Unreleased Death Row music. It was about time. CD is fucking dope, I cant hate on it, sure some tracks may not be meant for albums and the mixing is the top notch. But the music speaks for it self and its dope!

sofdark

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
haha got my copy for 9.99 cause the cashier made a mistake at best buy.

right now, mixing is not on my mind ; im just happy listening to decent quality DR snoop songs

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2009, 07:06:44 PM »
Snoop_Dogg-Death_Row_The_Lost_Sessions-2009-H3X

The Predator

« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »
Never has an album's mixing/mastering/engineering been discussed on the Internets in such depth before.

No one can test us.

J-FUNKTION

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2009, 07:10:58 PM »

Completely agree, Im just happy we finnally got some banging Unreleased Death Row music. It was about time. CD is fucking dope, I cant hate on it, sure some tracks may not be meant for albums and the mixing is the top notch. But the music speaks for it self and its dope!
agree with both of these..

Efrain

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2009, 08:22:28 PM »
Never has an album's mixing/mastering/engineering been discussed on the Internets in such depth before.

No one can test us.

haha +1

bad-n-fluenz supporter of the dangerous crew movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2009, 08:37:18 PM »
this album is dope! well worth the money......i know some people aint happy with the sound but just imagine if ftp or somebody else was putting this out it would be a lot more than $10

cyence

• 'G'
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2009, 09:07:07 PM »
i dont get all the complaining about the sound quality, sound fine to me. Ya'll some picky dudes

Jimmy H.

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2009, 10:03:27 PM »

It's not a deterioration problem though. It's not like the vocals are from a bad reel and needed to be restored to sound audible. The vocals are hard to hear because the beat or the background vocals in some songs is way louder than it should be in comparison with the lead vocals. I know next to nothing about audio but it's pretty clearly not just some "old reel" issue. Music from 1992-97 should not sound like this. People restore and remaster mono albums from the 50's and 60's and make it sound crisp as fuck so I don't buy that it was just impossible for anyone to fix the moutain of an audio problem of releasing a song from 1996 that sounds at least as good as any other project from that era.

dameons

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2009, 11:00:39 PM »
There was poor young dave , smoke on , and what was the name of that other cut that dre did the beat on for snoop that leaked around the time relit dropped ?