Author Topic: Snoop Doggy Dogg - The Lost Sessions [2009] [Discussion Thread]  (Read 11168 times)

Portugoal

Re: Snoop Doggy Dogg - The Lost Sessions [2009] [Discussion Thread]
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2009, 11:22:45 PM »
since this album won't be released over here, i'll listen to the rip i downloaded

love33

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2009, 11:28:27 PM »
Two lessons should be learned from The Lost Sessions:

1) Sometimes the released product is a lot better than the OG. Case in point, "Keep It Real". Snoop's solo version, while good, does not come close to the version that was released by the Original Death Row. Same with the song that uses the Head Doctor verse (although the true OG with the heavy Prince sample shits on the released version of "Head Doctor").

2) Not every single piece of music that is ever recorded in a studio should see the light of day. The problem with the cd is that a lot of tracks sounded like they were leftovers or studio scraps. Even "Eat a Dick" or "Fallin' Asleep On Death Row" sound like they were not meant to be on an album. I hope that when Wide Awake comes out with stuff after the Box Set, that they actually pick songs that sounded like they were meant to be released.

I don't mind the mixing. You guys have to understand that these tracks were recorded 10-15 years ago and technology has advanced to the point where a pro can only do so much to improve the quality.

A quality post man props...gotta take you to task on that last point though.

Dre mixed the original Doggystyle album WITH that 10-15 year old technology and it sounded AMAZING. These reels are from the same sessions, produced with the same instruments, recorded the same way. At the very least they should sound like the material on the original release.

In fact, the gold standard for modern mixing engineers are the same solid stage logic (SSL) consoles Dre was using back in the 90's. Additionally, that Doggystyle Master reel was mixed down to DAT back in 93 the EXACT SAME WAY he mixed down Chronic 2001.

I keep harping on this because a lot of you guys don't understand that this is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE and has NOTHING to do with the inherent audio quality on those reels. This is a botched job by people who don't have a clue how to run a business, a record label or manage a release.

I agree completely.  Some people are posting saying "10k is not a lot" because she didn't have to put anything into it, but her main costs were purchasing the catalog.  I think she is trying to STRREEEETTTCH out the catalog and tracks as much as she can to make back their money from the initial purchase.  Knowing how bad "The Chronic Relit" did for sales, it's going to take about 70 or so of these releases for them to even break even if sales continue at such a low rate -- that's the reason there was no promotion for this album ($$$$) and the same reason she didn't want to put any money into a professional mixer ($$$$$).

Davizz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Keep It Fonky
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2009, 12:32:26 AM »
"Funk Wit Ya Brain" is the bomb!!! P-Funk!

hobomotel

« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2009, 12:50:19 AM »

Do you know what that track samples?

Jimmy H.

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2009, 01:05:30 AM »
Knowing how bad "The Chronic Relit" did for sales....  

Were official sales figures ever announced?

We Fly High

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2009, 01:24:29 AM »
 its great to hear tracks like Doggy Style.. im not even complaining about the audio quality.

not claiming to be an expert on this (since i really dont know much about reels or the analog recording process), but i guess i should chime in since i may be one of the few on this board who have actually taken songs to get professionally mixed and mastered (including Brian Big Bass).. In the current digital format in which most music is mixed, you have to have all the parts of the song in order to get a proper mix. that means in your protools sessions you need your lead vocals, background vocals, guitars, drums, etc all separated in their own file within the big session. so you can level each part of the song so that everything sounds like it should, and nothing is louder/quieter than it should be.

We all agree that Lost Sessions cd definitely doenst have the best audio quality (once again i dont even really care tbh). If the same rules of "digital" mixing are applied to the analog reel mixing, then it could be possible that the reel in itself contained the full song without all the parts separated. In this case, the song cant even be properly mixed because its like receiving one big file instead of multiple files which you can piece together and level each file individually.

In this project, the mastering isnt really the problem, that has to do more with making all the tracks on the album sound like it was mixed by the same person at the same studio using the same equipment. But these songs had a poor/no mix before they even went to mastering.

f0n|{sta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • U Cant Fuck With The One Man Band ^^
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2009, 02:37:57 AM »
is that "G U Lookin For" with lv also death row material? i would love to hear that shit in cdq!!!

--- G-Funk...all day everyday ---

Manu.

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2009, 03:07:52 AM »

As far as I know the Re-Lit didn't hit the Billboard 200's..Soft White debuted at #141, and sold 3.900 copies..so probably less than 2k.
even if he does aplogize that doesnt mean shit coming from a jew

f0n|{sta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • U Cant Fuck With The One Man Band ^^
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2009, 03:42:44 AM »

Do you know what that track samples?

Tom Browne - Thighs High (Grip Your Hips And Move)
Code: [Select]
http://www.zshare.net/audio/66933686f752449a
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:46:38 AM by f0n|{sta »

--- G-Funk...all day everyday ---

Okka

« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2009, 04:06:16 AM »
The rap game in general and the west rap scene in particular is garbage in 2009. Death Row studio scraps are better than 95% if the new stuff dropping.

Exactly, a great muthafuckin reason to support WideAwake so they can keep on releasin' rare material.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2009, 05:17:27 AM »
Managed to get this and I'm in the UK ;)

2,000 posts bitches 8)
props fellow spammer :D

Two lessons should be learned from The Lost Sessions:

1) Sometimes the released product is a lot better than the OG. Case in point, "Keep It Real". Snoop's solo version, while good, does not come close to the version that was released by the Original Death Row. Same with the song that uses the Head Doctor verse (although the true OG with the heavy Prince sample shits on the released version of "Head Doctor").

2) Not every single piece of music that is ever recorded in a studio should see the light of day. The problem with the cd is that a lot of tracks sounded like they were leftovers or studio scraps. Even "Eat a Dick" or "Fallin' Asleep On Death Row" sound like they were not meant to be on an album. I hope that when Wide Awake comes out with stuff after the Box Set, that they actually pick songs that sounded like they were meant to be released.

I don't mind the mixing. You guys have to understand that these tracks were recorded 10-15 years ago and technology has advanced to the point where a pro can only do so much to improve the quality.

truth is, you can't say for certain which songs were not meant to be released, as you're just an outsider.
i mean, let's take Falling asleep on death row for example, what's your explanation? the track length?

cheesefry

« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2009, 06:24:38 AM »
bought the bb version (they only had stocked 5 copies lol) and as expected it's great to hear the music but the whole product comes off sounding like another ftp/am7 bootleg.  there is such a difference in track quality that it gives the whole album a very compilation/bootleg feel.  doggystyle is very flat sounding and its only salvation is that its funky bassline is the lead melody of the song.  likewise i get the impression that a lot of the songs were scrapped midway through the recording process because they sound unfinished and not typical of the dre style of introducing an instrument then taking it away a few bars later, never to appear again in the song.  i'll admit that i didn't look for them this time around but i also didn't notice any breaks in the beats.  being that we know an amateur mixed this down it's no surprise.

overall the price was right but even still i am left feeling a little bit dissatisfied with the product.  lots of 2pac music has only been recovered in full mixdowns (soon as i get home was a big one) and those songs were saved, so i don't get what a possible excuse for doggystyle would be...  and god damn it's the lead and arguably most important song on the cd.  oh well. 

i'll be skipping the box set.  i see three or four songs i'd like to hear but i'm not going to rebuy all this shit to get them.

Zeus

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2009, 07:00:15 AM »

As far as I know the Re-Lit didn't hit the Billboard 200's..Soft White debuted at #141, and sold 3.900 copies..so probably less than 2k.

chronic relit was a rerelease so you wouldnt see it in the billboard 200, its a catalog album
Best west coast board on the net, sign up

http://WWW.BASEMENT24.PROBOARDS.COM/

shreibster

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2009, 07:10:20 AM »
bought the bb version (they only had stocked 5 copies lol) and as expected it's great to hear the music but the whole product comes off sounding like another ftp/am7 bootleg.  there is such a difference in track quality that it gives the whole album a very compilation/bootleg feel.  doggystyle is very flat sounding and its only salvation is that its funky bassline is the lead melody of the song.  likewise i get the impression that a lot of the songs were scrapped midway through the recording process because they sound unfinished and not typical of the dre style of introducing an instrument then taking it away a few bars later, never to appear again in the song.  i'll admit that i didn't look for them this time around but i also didn't notice any breaks in the beats.  being that we know an amateur mixed this down it's no surprise.

overall the price was right but even still i am left feeling a little bit dissatisfied with the product.  lots of 2pac music has only been recovered in full mixdowns (soon as i get home was a big one) and those songs were saved, so i don't get what a possible excuse for doggystyle would be...  and god damn it's the lead and arguably most important song on the cd.  oh well. 

i'll be skipping the box set.  i see three or four songs i'd like to hear but i'm not going to rebuy all this shit to get them.

no one cares what you think faggot

Will_B

« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2009, 07:20:52 AM »
Got mines on ebay from the cat sellin BB exclusives.

Meanwhile I've previewed the album via download and I love it. 8)

You can tell some have come off tape and the qualities a bit second rate but hell, where else can I hear this sh1t?

Also some tracks some like demos/rough mixes anyway.

I just wanna hear this sh1t!!  8)