Author Topic: Snoop Doggy Dogg - The Lost Sessions [2009] [Discussion Thread]  (Read 10978 times)

westsiderider323

Re: Snoop Doggy Dogg - The Lost Sessions [2009] [Discussion Thread]
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »
its pretty dope

love33

« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2009, 01:24:59 PM »
I agree with the cats who said there's absolutely no excuse for this poor quality.  Especially when she said in all those interviews how she was going to make the quality even better and more enhanced than the older Suge releases.  She even somewhat dissed the old Suge releases saying there's way newer technologies now to enhance the sound and when she re-releases the music it will have the highest quality sound possible.  Now I'm convinced this is nothing more than a marketing ploy.  This is some of the worst sound quality imaginable for a store shelved release.  This literally sounds like some kid got his hands on limewire and burned a bunch of bootleg tracks on a CD.

Truth is she didn't want to put the money out to have it mixed.  And knowing that she said her sound quality was a top factor for buying her material, she did nothing but mislead the fans.  Suge had "Dead Man Walkin" which was old Snoop 1997 tracks and they mastered it with top notch high end stereo quality.  This release sounds like they ripped the tracks off a tape with all the skips, artifacts, and inconsistent volume tones.  Anyone who continues to support this company, who is trying to take advantage of consumers during a nasty recession, deserves what they get.  And now she is going to re-release more old tracks that have already been released? Lets just say that this is a poor investment.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2009, 02:02:40 PM »
Wow I'm not looking forward to this arriving as much now >:(

rhythmalism

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2009, 02:50:40 PM »
Albums pretty bangin! Luvin the Classic Death Row sound too it.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2009, 03:20:20 PM »
Managed to get this and I'm in the UK ;)

2,000 posts bitches 8)
props fellow spammer :D

Two lessons should be learned from The Lost Sessions:

1) Sometimes the released product is a lot better than the OG. Case in point, "Keep It Real". Snoop's solo version, while good, does not come close to the version that was released by the Original Death Row. Same with the song that uses the Head Doctor verse (although the true OG with the heavy Prince sample shits on the released version of "Head Doctor").

2) Not every single piece of music that is ever recorded in a studio should see the light of day. The problem with the cd is that a lot of tracks sounded like they were leftovers or studio scraps. Even "Eat a Dick" or "Fallin' Asleep On Death Row" sound like they were not meant to be on an album. I hope that when Wide Awake comes out with stuff after the Box Set, that they actually pick songs that sounded like they were meant to be released.

I don't mind the mixing. You guys have to understand that these tracks were recorded 10-15 years ago and technology has advanced to the point where a pro can only do so much to improve the quality.

truth is, you can't say for certain which songs were not meant to be released, as you're just an outsider.
i mean, let's take Falling asleep on death row for example, what's your explanation? the track length?

The track itself sounds incomplete. Sounds like a rough cut of something, doesn't sound like it would have fit on anything released in that time period.

Are you saying that every single track that was ever recorded in a Death Row Studio was meant to see the light of day?

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2009, 04:31:21 PM »
Majority of this stuff say in a Vault. So it would pretty much be cut off from any elements causing it to deteriorate.
I'm not saying that the finished retail product is the result of deterioration, but that's untrue about the vaults.  First of all, a vault isn't exactly air-tight or climate controlled.  Secondly, people often confuse Death Row's vaults having actually been a big, locked up bank vault-looking thing.

haha got my copy for 9.99 cause the cashier made a mistake at best buy.
They didn't make a mistake, it's on sale this week for $9.99.

outro beat>>>>
I was listening to it on my way to work this morning, it has the same bassline as California Love (RMX).  Also, that last song on the Best Buy edition uses the same sample as this Big L song from The Big Picture, though I can't remember the name of it.

Like you guys, I think the mixing has a ton of room for improvement, but I don't mind spending $10 for some new Death Row era Snoop music in CD quality, even if the mixing is slightly off.  I've paid exponentially more money for shit quality bootlegs in the past, so there are bigger things to protest against.

Klue

« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2009, 05:47:23 PM »
Truth is she didn't want to put the money out to have it mixed.  And knowing that she said her sound quality was a top factor for buying her material, she did nothing but mislead the fans. 

Blasphemy

« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2009, 05:49:58 PM »
Majority of this stuff say in a Vault. So it would pretty much be cut off from any elements causing it to deteriorate.
I'm not saying that the finished retail product is the result of deterioration, but that's untrue about the vaults.  First of all, a vault isn't exactly air-tight or climate controlled.  Secondly, people often confuse Death Row's vaults having actually been a big, locked up bank vault-looking thing.

outro beat>>>>
I was listening to it on my way to work this morning, it has the same bassline as California Love (RMX).  Also, that last song on the Best Buy edition uses the same sample as this Big L song from The Big Picture, though I can't remember the name of it.

Like you guys, I think the mixing has a ton of room for improvement, but I don't mind spending $10 for some new Death Row era Snoop music in CD quality, even if the mixing is slightly off.  I've paid exponentially more money for shit quality bootlegs in the past, so there are bigger things to protest against.

lol I know its not some huge Vault thing (More so or less its just a Room containing reels, dats, Promos and shit lock'd up in a secured area).

Anyways I heard it, and Honestly I'm indifferent.
This review talks about what Material you are bound to face. http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/reviews/id.1281/title.snoop-dogg-death-row-the-lost-sessions-volume-1 I already know OG was on the Daz Album I have, and the Murder was teh case thing, but yeah.

Basically that's what it appears what they doing right now. Its like there is no material, they said 15 percent was only released, doesn't mean I want the 10 percent that was alternate cuts.

I also Loled when they said the OG Life so hard wasn't released (well not officially) both the Death Row mix 2pac recorded (1 on gang related) plus the original are both out. (I have the OG). Honestly Its not really a selling point to see snoop sing,.
<-- Part of my post in the "Death Row BoxSet)

Anyways, listening to the entire thing, Its strange. If you're a Hardcore death Row fan you'll love it regardless, and I consider my self one, the fact is this Release is borderline bullshit.

Where 2 begin. Well the Track choice, Doggystyle was a LONG over do track, that's a Extremely good side of this release. However the fact they tried 2 ReRELEASE "Poor young Dave" ONLY 2 FUCKING MONTHS AFTER IT GOT RELEASED IS FUCKING UNACCEPTABLE. Anyways I'll go by track by track.

1. Soldier Story (Intro) (4/5) - This is a very interesting Intro. Sounds something late 1996 Early 1997. Snoop is still on death row, and he talks about all the post Crippling events (Dre leaving, Makaveli's Death in particular) talking about how they came up. The beat is a simplistic Jazz, you feel like you are back in the studio with him during that recording. Its very calming and pretty much gives off the feeling during that hectic time. A Perfect opening, sadly the content doesn't compliment.

2. Doggystyle (5/5) - This is what we all fucking wanted, since the LQ to the HQ to the CDQ. This track is ace, Interesting enough despite being amazing, it would truly wouldn't fit into Doggystyle as such it was a left over. Very amazing stuff, this is 1 of the tracks that will stand out on this release. Cool stuff.

3. Fallin' Asleep On Death Row (4/5) - Funky Gangsta Shit, This is one of the better tracks. interesting it doesn't seem finished. If you hear the first verse, there is a small Emptiness, possibly were the Chorus or a additional rapper would of been mixed in. It seems like this was just a session that never got turned into a full track. Standard Gangsta Pandering. The beat will be what does it for you.

4. Eat A Dick (3/5) - Ah yes,  the Doggy Dogg World Lyrics, with the Murder Was the Case stripped down beat. Honestly this is a some what bullshit track. The lyrics weren't done in the memorizing snoop Flow like on "Doggy Dogg World" and the beat is basically the earlier version of "Murder was the case" and lacks the Synth. Once again this Track has Chorus spaces. Honestly hardcore snoop fans will love the extra verse, but this is just a shitty track put in for Filler. It provides nothing more then a Insight of how tracks can evolve (in this case into way better tracks).

5. Hoez (feat Dogg Pound) (2.5/5) - Piece of shit filler, not good. Snoop has a retarded Chorus, fails as a party track.You don't have 2 wonder why it was releases.

6. O.G. (Original Version) (4/5) (feat Nate Dogg) - We all know this one ( Have teh Daz album) the beat is Killer. Honestly, Both versions are amazing, this 1 better. The beat isn't as filled up, and has a better impact then the Daz version. Pure gangsta shit. It would of received a 5/5 but the only difference is 1 verse.

7. Keep It Real Dogg (3/5) - This is something sounding off the Dogg Father, It features similar production. Honestly its funky, but if you weren't a fan of Dogg Father you won't like this ( I am btw). The rapping is why you listen on a track like this, its a OK party track, honestly I'm amazed its a Dogg Father Left over considering it sounds pretty much the same as 1 of the tracks that made it in terms of Quality. You put if on the Dogg Father you wouldn't think it be out of place.

8. One Life To Live (2/5). Honestly This is the most bullshit thing WIDEawake has done. Basically its "Poor Young Dave" with a MUCH darker beat. Honestly Poor Young Dave already sounded like a alternate version of "Bitches ain't shit", but this is bullshit on its own right. The fact they recycled the Lyrics off a track released just 2 months earlier is bullshit. Lady of Rage has a Redeeming Factor, anyways the beat is amazingly dark. I mean this is some really dark shit, if it wasn't for the fact the Snoop Verse was already released on "Poor Young Dave" this would get a higher rating. This track does how ever show again how death row sessions worked, and how tracks evolve. Makes me wonder how much of the remaining 85% pf material unreleased is just Alternate/Reused stuff.

9.The Genie (5/5) - I like this, funky, dope Bad azz is good. This track is fully developed. bomb shit.

10. Funk With Ya Brain (Interlude) (3/5) - The Predator Sample was already done Much better on Ice Cube's "The Predator". It could of surely been cut off. Honestly it isn't really a Interlude, seems like a "Intro" type of deal. Mostly it just reloops with couple of people singing, but honestly its not impressive. Funky, but its just wasted cause no one literally doesn't rap on it for most of it, aside from a back round singer. Not really a interlude, not really a track. Something you'd hear in the backround of a interlude. Filler 4 sure.

11. Caught Up (4/5) Calm funky stuff, has some story telling and some meaning. Pretty good, track is outta 1996 apparently, possibly before DoggFather. Noticeable Doggystyle references.

12. Put It In Ya Mouth (2/5) - dead man walking version is better.

13 Gravy Train (3/5) - Filler materiel. Beat is eh, snoop sounds fucking muffled, honestly its no wonder it never got released. Not good as a gangsta or a party track.

14. Life's Hard (Dedicated to 2pac) (2/5) Doesn't do justice to the 2PAC OG, NOR even the other 1 2pac himself recorded for death row(on gang related soundtrack). Snoop doesn't sound good, completely ditches his flow. How is this a Tribute 4 2pac? No one heard the OG and the Released version isn't that popular.  Honestly seems like Suge or someone got him 2 record possibly 2 pass off as his own.

15. The Root Of All Evil (3/5) - We heard this bass off the California Love (Remix) off of 2pac's All Eyez On Me. Its pretty good, perfect ending.

16. Quite Obvious feat Rappin' 4 Tay (Best Buy Bonus) (3/5) - Ok track, sounds like something from Newer snoop. Flow is ok, pretty much a standard.

17. Once Again (Best Buy Bonus) (4/5) Pretty good track. Pretty much like hte above, ventures into a more standard west coast rap instead of G-Funk.

18. Got To Do Wrong (Best Buy Bonus) (5/5) Dope shit IMO, Beat is laid back and funky, and talks on some real shit.

Mixing - Is varies, its Listenable CDQ shit, but its Sub-par compared 2 Doggystyle. Given the LQ On doggy, lots of these are probably huge improvements on quality. Death Row still needs 2 find a proper mixer.

Final Verdict - 6.5/10. Some skandious stuff on this shit. I recommend a purchase if you're a old school snoop fan, a Death Row Collector, and a Classic west coast fan.

IMO Its Dope, but some serious shit bring it down.

sofdark

« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2009, 06:42:26 PM »

outro beat>>>>

lol I know its not some huge Vault thing (More so or less its just a Room containing reels, dats, Promos and shit lock'd up in a secured area).

Anyways I heard it, and Honestly I'm indifferent.
This review talks about what Material you are bound to face. http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/reviews/id.1281/title.snoop-dogg-death-row-the-lost-sessions-volume-1 I already know OG was on the Daz Album I have, and the Murder was teh case thing, but yeah.

Basically that's what it appears what they doing right now. Its like there is no material, they said 15 percent was only released, doesn't mean I want the 10 percent that was alternate cuts.

I also Loled when they said the OG Life so hard wasn't released (well not officially) both the Death Row mix 2pac recorded (1 on gang related) plus the original are both out. (I have the OG). Honestly Its not really a selling point to see snoop sing,.
<-- Part of my post in the "Death Row BoxSet)

Anyways, listening to the entire thing, Its strange. If you're a Hardcore death Row fan you'll love it regardless, and I consider my self one, the fact is this Release is borderline bullshit.

Where 2 begin. Well the Track choice, Doggystyle was a LONG over do track, that's a Extremely good side of this release. However the fact they tried 2 ReRELEASE "Poor young Dave" ONLY 2 FUCKING MONTHS AFTER IT GOT RELEASED IS FUCKING UNACCEPTABLE. Anyways I'll go by track by track.

1. Soldier Story (Intro) (4/5) - This is a very interesting Intro. Sounds something late 1996 Early 1997. Snoop is still on death row, and he talks about all the post Crippling events (Dre leaving, Makaveli's Death in particular) talking about how they came up. The beat is a simplistic Jazz, you feel like you are back in the studio with him during that recording. Its very calming and pretty much gives off the feeling during that hectic time. A Perfect opening, sadly the content doesn't compliment.

2. Doggystyle (5/5) - This is what we all fucking wanted, since the LQ to the HQ to the CDQ. This track is ace, Interesting enough despite being amazing, it would truly wouldn't fit into Doggystyle as such it was a left over. Very amazing stuff, this is 1 of the tracks that will stand out on this release. Cool stuff.

3. Fallin' Asleep On Death Row (4/5) - Funky Gangsta Shit, This is one of the better tracks. interesting it doesn't seem finished. If you hear the first verse, there is a small Emptiness, possibly were the Chorus or a additional rapper would of been mixed in. It seems like this was just a session that never got turned into a full track. Standard Gangsta Pandering. The beat will be what does it for you.

4. Eat A Dick (3/5) - Ah yes,  the Doggy Dogg World Lyrics, with the Murder Was the Case stripped down beat. Honestly this is a some what bullshit track. The lyrics weren't done in the memorizing snoop Flow like on "Doggy Dogg World" and the beat is basically the earlier version of "Murder was the case" and lacks the Synth. Once again this Track has Chorus spaces. Honestly hardcore snoop fans will love the extra verse, but this is just a shitty track put in for Filler. It provides nothing more then a Insight of how tracks can evolve (in this case into way better tracks).

5. Hoez (feat Dogg Pound) (2.5/5) - Piece of shit filler, not good. Snoop has a retarded Chorus, fails as a party track.You don't have 2 wonder why it was releases.

6. O.G. (Original Version) (4/5) (feat Nate Dogg) - We all know this one ( Have teh Daz album) the beat is Killer. Honestly, Both versions are amazing, this 1 better. The beat isn't as filled up, and has a better impact then the Daz version. Pure gangsta shit. It would of received a 5/5 but the only difference is 1 verse.

7. Keep It Real Dogg (3/5) - This is something sounding off the Dogg Father, It features similar production. Honestly its funky, but if you weren't a fan of Dogg Father you won't like this ( I am btw). The rapping is why you listen on a track like this, its a OK party track, honestly I'm amazed its a Dogg Father Left over considering it sounds pretty much the same as 1 of the tracks that made it in terms of Quality. You put if on the Dogg Father you wouldn't think it be out of place.

8. One Life To Live (2/5). Honestly This is the most bullshit thing WIDEawake has done. Basically its "Poor Young Dave" with a MUCH darker beat. Honestly Poor Young Dave already sounded like a alternate version of "Bitches ain't shit", but this is bullshit on its own right. The fact they recycled the Lyrics off a track released just 2 months earlier is bullshit. Lady of Rage has a Redeeming Factor, anyways the beat is amazingly dark. I mean this is some really dark shit, if it wasn't for the fact the Snoop Verse was already released on "Poor Young Dave" this would get a higher rating. This track does how ever show again how death row sessions worked, and how tracks evolve. Makes me wonder how much of the remaining 85% pf material unreleased is just Alternate/Reused stuff.

9.The Genie (5/5) - I like this, funky, dope Bad azz is good. This track is fully developed. bomb shit.

10. Funk With Ya Brain (Interlude) (3/5) - The Predator Sample was already done Much better on Ice Cube's "The Predator". It could of surely been cut off. Honestly it isn't really a Interlude, seems like a "Intro" type of deal. Mostly it just reloops with couple of people singing, but honestly its not impressive. Funky, but its just wasted cause no one literally doesn't rap on it for most of it, aside from a back round singer. Not really a interlude, not really a track. Something you'd hear in the backround of a interlude. Filler 4 sure.

11. Caught Up (4/5) Calm funky stuff, has some story telling and some meaning. Pretty good, track is outta 1996 apparently, possibly before DoggFather. Noticeable Doggystyle references.

12. Put It In Ya Mouth (2/5) - dead man walking version is better.

13 Gravy Train (3/5) - Filler materiel. Beat is eh, snoop sounds fucking muffled, honestly its no wonder it never got released. Not good as a gangsta or a party track.

14. Life's Hard (Dedicated to 2pac) (2/5) Doesn't do justice to the 2PAC OG, NOR even the other 1 2pac himself recorded for death row(on gang related soundtrack). Snoop doesn't sound good, completely ditches his flow. How is this a Tribute 4 2pac? No one heard the OG and the Released version isn't that popular.  Honestly seems like Suge or someone got him 2 record possibly 2 pass off as his own.

15. The Root Of All Evil (3/5) - We heard this bass off the California Love (Remix) off of 2pac's All Eyez On Me. Its pretty good, perfect ending.

16. Quite Obvious feat Rappin' 4 Tay (Best Buy Bonus) (3/5) - Ok track, sounds like something from Newer snoop. Flow is ok, pretty much a standard.

17. Once Again (Best Buy Bonus) (4/5) Pretty good track. Pretty much like hte above, ventures into a more standard west coast rap instead of G-Funk.

18. Got To Do Wrong (Best Buy Bonus) (5/5) Dope shit IMO, Beat is laid back and funky, and talks on some real shit.

Mixing - Is varies, its Listenable CDQ shit, but its Sub-par compared 2 Doggystyle. Given the LQ On doggy, lots of these are probably huge improvements on quality. Death Row still needs 2 find a proper mixer.

Final Verdict - 6.5/10. Some skandious stuff on this shit. I recommend a purchase if you're a old school snoop fan, a Death Row Collector, and a Classic west coast fan.

IMO Its Dope, but some serious shit bring it down.

nice rate; agree with most of em.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2009, 07:04:32 PM »
I picked up the BB version last night. I really don't want to give my money to this company until they start acting like professionals. But, I was curious about a second release....giving them some leeway on that first monstrosity. The leveling from track to track is some of the worst I've ever heard. I definitely can hear artifacts in some of the songs, suggesting they came from crappy source material. But, releasing an album as a professional company with this quality of tracks included is inexcusable. They have this labeled as Volume 1. Honestly, they should have not attempted to stretch the material if they have more. I could stomach throwing some of these songs on as extras or something. But, for the main body of the album to be so poor is very telling of Wideawake. As much as they want to pump the "for the fans" crap down everyone's throat. It's clearly a marketing ploy. They are in this purely and solely to separate you from your cash.

And anyone who says "who cares, I just want to hear the music" is an idiot. Your being raised on listening to music from Walmart speakers, ipod phones, and limewire downloads has you totally oblivious to what music should sound like. I understand that possibly the source material isn't the greatest. But, as was previously mentioned, there has been DR material (specifically 2pac) recovered in mixed down form that has come out fine. If this is the best they've got and Bernie Grundman can't help them, this company is doomed. This album really comes off as some compilation put together  by some random forum dweeb who wants everyone to "check out my remasters"....and it sucks.

You are an idiot. But I completely agree with you on this one

Like I care what a Euro wigger thinks. What time is it in yugosloboviastan? Shouldn't you be out throwin' the "W" to the goats in your herd right about now?

You smell that?

+

+

=

happy yugosloboviastanian euro wigger

have a prop!

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2009, 07:19:03 PM »
what's with everybody saying "Bitches Ain't Shit" sounds like "Dave" or vice versa, whatever.  They sound nothing alike.  They have like 1 bass note that sounds alike but even they aren't the same Bass bcuz "BAS" bass is sampled and "Dave" is played out with a different Synth bass.  If u've heard the sample BAS comes from then u'll see.  it's in the 1st 10-20 seconds (i forgot) of the track.  it's just that sample with another bass playing behind it to "stretch" it out.

and to the guy that did the review.   Eat A Dick is the "Serial Killer" beat not MWTC

Blasphemy

« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2009, 08:19:25 PM »
what's with everybody saying "Bitches Ain't Shit" sounds like "Dave" or vice versa, whatever.  They sound nothing alike.  They have like 1 bass note that sounds alike but even they aren't the same Bass bcuz "BAS" bass is sampled and "Dave" is played out with a different Synth bass.  If u've heard the sample BAS comes from then u'll see.  it's in the 1st 10-20 seconds (i forgot) of the track.  it's just that sample with another bass playing behind it to "stretch" it out.

and to the guy that did the review.   Eat A Dick is the "Serial Killer" beat not MWTC

Yeah you're right. but come on really look at them.  Bitch's Ain't Shit and Poor young Dave pretty much have the same beat, built of alternate instruments. The Flow is nearly the same. Remember that thread were ALL the beats on Relapse were compared 2 older dre beats. I wouldn't be amazed if this is just another case. Like Deja Vu and Bishop Lamonts "Grow Up" its pretty much the same, just modified.

The flow on the tracks are extremely similar.

Dave just sounds like a more bass out synthless version of Bitches Aint Shit.

Bitches Aint shit has the Dave built into the background (modified slightly) contains more drums, horns, and a synth.

Dave's drums have a slightly lighter feel on em. Bitches sounds deeper, and darker. (Probably to compliment the sound of The Chronic).

They sound the same, are being flowed on the same, only different is a couple of key differences which result in a derived sound.

Dave could possibly be derived off of Bitches Aint shit in some way (Remember, they reused lyrics, I wouldn't be amazed if they modified the beat for the Dave song later). Look at Can't C Me. That beat was slightly Modified from the DPG version for the 2pac version.

I mean I even pointed it out on Eat a Dick. Neither of these tracks were meant to be released, so there relation could be anything.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 08:30:47 PM by Blasphemy »

xxOHCxx

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2009, 08:38:48 PM »
It was good to finally hear these tracks, but can see why they might have been left off albums. Every song on the Doggystyle cd can pretty much stand on it's own and after listening to Doggystyle (the song), I can really only see it on the cd replacing G-Funk Intro.

rhythmalism

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2009, 08:51:35 PM »
"Caught Up" is fuccin dope! Charlie Wilson on the hook?

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »
"Caught Up" is fuccin dope! Charlie Wilson on the hook?

It is indeed.