Author Topic: Snoop Doggy Dogg - The Lost Sessions [2009] [Discussion Thread]  (Read 10977 times)

OG Hack Wilson

Re: Snoop Doggy Dogg - The Lost Sessions [2009] [Discussion Thread]
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2009, 08:16:16 PM »
Bought it...second retail album I bought this year

haha   maybe the 4th or 5th for me
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2009, 10:24:31 PM »
bought it. i can tell there are mixing issues.. but more volumes with certain sounds in the beats. atleast thats what ive noticed mostly. still worth the $

also bought chronic re-lit, and i want the bonus songs on MP3... why would i wanna bump my DVD...

Giesuz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Veterano
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2009, 06:01:47 AM »

it was my third

1. Death Row Greatest Hits (remasterd version) just for the collection
2. Chronic Re-Lit
3. Lost Sessions Vol.1

Invincible

« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2009, 06:11:25 AM »

it was my third

2. Chronic Re-Lit
3. Lost Sessions Vol.1

Is Death Row all you listen to or something?

cheesefry

« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2009, 06:15:34 AM »

it was my third

2. Chronic Re-Lit
3. Lost Sessions Vol.1

Is Death Row all you listen to or something?
lol thats pretty sad

LiLDuVall tHe CaLi-Vanian

• 'G'
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2009, 06:49:13 AM »
i was really lookin forward to this project but overall this is a bootleg shitty ass cd and im glad i downloaded first b4 spending my money, hopefully malice in wonderland will be a better album hopefully

eNgIeS

« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2009, 08:11:30 AM »
I still don't understand the dissing of this album.

I can probably understand the sound mix issues, but i mean none of us know whether it was just due to the age of the DAT tapes or just bad mixxing (or worse, no new mixxing) of the material. None of us know so we can't just assume one way or the other

As far as people bitching about songs being incomplete and containing portions of lyrics or music that was used in other songs, this is what y'all asked for. I'm sure WideAwake wished some of these songs were more complete, but this is what was in the vault. They were not released for the reason that they probably weren't of quality or unfinished. I personally thought hearing them was very interesting to see what was the initial stages of making some of the classics we love and the ones that didnt get finished or werent released

Its a shame some of the ideas werent completed, but my thinking is alot of these songs were turned into something else later on. Poor Young Dave has a similar drum beat to Murder was the case and IMO was probably the original version of what became that song. Obviously it wasn't used so Snoop tried to use a dope verse he wrote on a song with Rage and Techniec, then of course he later on you used part of it on Midnight Love. Of course we have that song with the Serial Killa beat and the first verse from doggy dogg world. And some of the other songs I swear I've heard Snoop use those lyrics (or part of them) in songs he made later. Its just cool to hear the origin of these ideas.

It also shows maybe what could've been. Example the outro with the same bassline Dre used in the California Love remix, it shows maybe some alternative outro's or intro's that could've been used on doggystyle. In fact Doggystyle (the song) was probably originally one of the opening songs for Doggystyle (the album). It probably would've been well placed between bathrub intro and g funk intro, or perhaps between g funk intro and gin and juice.

The only shame in all of this is Suge Knight had to fuck Death Row up. If he didnt be so corrupt and turn it into a street label filled with no-hopers hanging around and disrupting the original creative formula of the Chronic and Doggystyle, then we could've had more classics to listen to. I mean its pretty much known Dre by late 93 and 94 was choosing to work from his own crib rather than deal with the madness inside Death Row's own studio's. We may have heard Eargasm, Helter Skelter, Chronic 2, hell maybe Doggystyle 2. Instead Suge fucked it up for everyone

scratch42069

• 'G'
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2009, 08:16:41 AM »
People aren't bitching because the tracks are wack, they're bitching because recordings that are newer than The Chronic are being put out and they're sounding worse. The age of the masters is a nice excuse but unfortunately doesn't fly because The Chronic is older than this material and sounds way better. Why would age deteriorate Snoop's material but not Dr. Dre's Chronic album?

Mietek23

« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2009, 08:23:32 AM »
ok ive asked people about this doggystyle thing and they say the youtube version is much better. i am grateful for this release as ive already placed an order and cant wait to hear this but this is what im dissapointed with.

heres the version im talking about, you compare and you let me know

http://www.zshare.net/audio/67014731c92c2919/

I would also like to hear the full version of this - Maybe someone will post it since the track is now officialy available :)

cheesefry

« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2009, 09:01:57 AM »
ok ive asked people about this doggystyle thing and they say the youtube version is much better. i am grateful for this release as ive already placed an order and cant wait to hear this but this is what im dissapointed with.

heres the version im talking about, you compare and you let me know

http://www.zshare.net/audio/67014731c92c2919/

I would also like to hear the full version of this - Maybe someone will post it since the track is now officialy available :)
if i remember right this was put out on a dj u-neek mix album so its not likely that he would put out his full rip

eNgIeS

« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2009, 09:13:21 AM »
People aren't bitching because the tracks are wack, they're bitching because recordings that are newer than The Chronic are being put out and they're sounding worse. The age of the masters is a nice excuse but unfortunately doesn't fly because The Chronic is older than this material and sounds way better. Why would age deteriorate Snoop's material but not Dr. Dre's Chronic album?

The Chronic was an officially released album. I'm sure they had masters and copies of those masters for back up. These unreleased songs may not have been treated with as much care perhaps because as we know most of them seem like songs that werent finished and werent planning on being released. Its one possible answer. Again you could be right, but the fact is no one really knows unless they have seen the inner workings of the stuff wide awake have from the vaults and what they did after to try and make them as best of quality as they could

scratch42069

• 'G'
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2009, 09:32:10 AM »

The Chronic was an officially released album. I'm sure they had masters and copies of those masters for back up. These unreleased songs may not have been treated with as much care perhaps because as we know most of them seem like songs that werent finished and werent planning on being released. Its one possible answer. Again you could be right, but the fact is no one really knows unless they have seen the inner workings of the stuff wide awake have from the vaults and what they did after to try and make them as best of quality as they could

In the record biz, all masters = money, regardless if it's released or not. They all would have been stored the same way and according to the legal docs, they were stored in cardboard boxes. If age was a factor in the sound quality, The Chronic would have sounded the same as The Lost Sessions but it didn't. The sound quality problems are a result of "Justin Burdick" (which I believe is a pseudonym for someone) fucking it up. It had nothing to do with age or the mastering, it was all in the mixing.

cheesefry

« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2009, 09:43:42 AM »

In the record biz, all masters = money, regardless if it's released or not. They all would have been stored the same way and according to the legal docs, they were stored in cardboard boxes. If age was a factor in the sound quality, The Chronic would have sounded the same as The Lost Sessions but it didn't. The sound quality problems are a result of "Justin Burdick" (which I believe is a pseudonym for someone) fucking it up. It had nothing to do with age or the mastering, it was all in the mixing.
i think that they used a cd-rip of the chronic and ran it through a compressor and called it a remaster.  if it was really re-recorded from the masters then the track times would vary a bit from previous releases - which they do not.

scratch42069

• 'G'
« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2009, 09:46:31 AM »

i think that they used a cd-rip of the chronic and ran it through a compressor and called it a remaster.  if it was really re-recorded from the masters then the track times would vary a bit from previous releases - which they do not.

That's what I'm thinking too. Death Row did that with 15 Years On Death Row and The Death Row Singles Collection.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2009, 06:08:03 PM »
What they should have done -

-Waited a while until all the tracks had been gone through from the vault
-Pick ONLY the very dopest Snoop ones from the Chronic/Doggystyle era, maybe 12 tracks
-Got some proper engineers and mixing people in to clean it all up properly
-Got an awesome cover, maybe Joe Cool to do it, plus great inside booklet
-Called it Doggystyle 2 or some other 'proper' name (not some bullshit that sounds like some kid's first album, calling it vol.1 and shit)
-Put all the promotional muscle behind that ONE project

It might still have flopped due to downloading, but at least it would have been a proper shot at doing it well.
One problem is that we have already heard all the dopest stuff - that stuff made it onto the Chronic and Doggystyle, but if you had better quality control you could at least get something pretty damn ill.

It seems they're drip feeding us random-ass tracks, all from mixed up eras, of mixed quality, with half-assed artwork and nothing done properly, and it seems like they're just going to release a million different things with only a few things worth getting on each one.
I think most people who were going to buy this stuff (pretty much only Death Row enthusiasts) are going to get pretty sick, pretty quickly of the half-assedness of the whole system