Author Topic: Snoop Doggy Dogg - The Lost Sessions [2009] [Discussion Thread]  (Read 10975 times)

love33

Re: Snoop Doggy Dogg - The Lost Sessions [2009] [Discussion Thread]
« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2009, 10:18:46 PM »
i think Dre once stated that Suge put his name on The Chronic.

Suge has always been the executive producer of "The Chronic."  You can go back to the original 1st generation pressings of "The Chronic" and see "Executive Producer: Suge Knight" in the insert, which didn't have any track credits.  On the re-issues by Death Row, Suge put his name on the back of the album too.  But he has always been credited as the executive producer since day 1.

When that album came out, Suge told Dre that in order to secure the deal with Interscope they are going to need an actual album to play to the executives at Time Warner (Interscope's parent).  Dre created the masterpiece with the other artists (Snoop, RBX, D.O.C., Kurupt, Daz, Rage, etc.) and him and Suge selected the tracks together.  Then Suge and Dre brought it to Jimmy Iovine and Ted Fields and they signed the biggest deal to promote Gangsta Rap in the history of hip hop.  Iovine had huge ties to MTV so MTV became Death Row's biggest machine and even a lot of the MTV News updates revolved around Death Row Records.

FreeMac

• 'G'
« Reply #166 on: October 18, 2009, 10:25:55 PM »
The album's tight, any time some unheard of Deathrow shit comes out i'm about supporting it. Especially if its Snoop in his prime

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #167 on: October 19, 2009, 12:32:25 AM »
i think Dre once stated that Suge put his name on The Chronic.

Suge has always been the executive producer of "The Chronic."  You can go back to the original 1st generation pressings of "The Chronic" and see "Executive Producer: Suge Knight" in the insert, which didn't have any track credits.  On the re-issues by Death Row, Suge put his name on the back of the album too.  But he has always been credited as the executive producer since day 1.

When that album came out, Suge told Dre that in order to secure the deal with Interscope they are going to need an actual album to play to the executives at Time Warner (Interscope's parent).  Dre created the masterpiece with the other artists (Snoop, RBX, D.O.C., Kurupt, Daz, Rage, etc.) and him and Suge selected the tracks together.  Then Suge and Dre brought it to Jimmy Iovine and Ted Fields and they signed the biggest deal to promote Gangsta Rap in the history of hip hop.  Iovine had huge ties to MTV so MTV became Death Row's biggest machine and even a lot of the MTV News updates revolved around Death Row Records.
i know, that's what i'm referring to: i think Dre was saying that Suge Knight didn't contribute to the album itself and just put his name on there.
i might be wrong, but that's what i remember from the interview

Jimmy H.

« Reply #168 on: October 19, 2009, 12:53:18 AM »
But you gotta give him his due in the 90's he was a great owner and setup a $300 million dollar operation from nothing.  Dre laid a bomb classic once he was free from Ruthless.  Suge signed Kurupt and Warren G led Snoop to Dre.  
  Suge did not discover Kurupt, Dre did. DPG members brought him to Dre's attention where he freestyled for him. Suge was good on the business end no question but he didn't built a 300-million-dollar company from nothing. He may not have had a major label at the start but he had Dr. Dre who was already considered one of the most commercially-viable producers in hip-hop music at that time. Any financial reluctance from financers at the start was less likely over the content but because of Ruthless Records threatning to sue anyone involved for tampering with one of their contracted artists. They actually were gonna get an even better deal from Sony than what Jimmy and Ted Fields were offering but Sony backed out when Eric and Priority pressured them over Dre's contractual status.

kuruptDPG

« Reply #169 on: October 21, 2009, 07:28:01 AM »
i got the album and omg its so dope. my fave trak is Put It In Ya Mouth, lol snoop had a classic line on it:

"she wasnt from america,i whooped out my dick and then baby spoke dinglish".

majortiy of the traks are dope, only thing dissapointed with is doggystyle where the youtube quality was much better but otherwise great release, love it

cheesefry

« Reply #170 on: October 21, 2009, 08:02:39 AM »
i got the album and omg its so dope. my fave trak is Put It In Ya Mouth, lol snoop had a classic line on it:

majortiy of the traks are dope, only thing dissapointed with is doggystyle where the youtube quality was much better but otherwise great release, love it
i think you meant to say that was a lame line. 

rhythmalism

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2009, 04:05:06 PM »
Daamn, that closing track is bangin!

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #172 on: October 21, 2009, 06:02:32 PM »

i think you meant to say that was a lame line. 

please delete your account

eNgIeS

« Reply #173 on: October 21, 2009, 06:49:25 PM »
The only shame in all of this is Suge Knight had to fuck Death Row up. If he didnt be so corrupt and turn it into a street label filled with no-hopers hanging around and disrupting the original creative formula of the Chronic and Doggystyle, then we could've had more classics to listen to. I mean its pretty much known Dre by late 93 and 94 was choosing to work from his own crib rather than deal with the madness inside Death Row's own studio's. We may have heard Eargasm, Helter Skelter, Chronic 2, hell maybe Doggystyle 2. Instead Suge fucked it up for everyone

This is all just speculation and I don't think you're being very objective at all.  These albums may never have seen the day even if that was the case considering it's been 10 years and we still haven't seen "Detox."  We wouldn't have had "All Eyez On Me" if Suge wasn't around, he executive produced (picked the tracks) and Pac didn't get along with Dre.  It was Suge who put up the money to get Pac on the label and aggressively pursued him.  These posts are mindless hating and just plain ignorant.  You never would have had "Chronic 2000" or "2002" if that was the case too.  If you want to criticize Suge for not releasing any artists albums post 2000, I think that's completely fair.  But to single him out in the 90's when Death Row was priming and making money, is just unfair and ignorant.  He also got Dre off his contract with Jerry Heller too so there wouldn't have been a "Chronic" album if that didn't happen.

Suge did a few good things I agree, but his bad things outweighed the good. You can't hold charity dinners to front on the bullshit abuse of power and bullying he did. Plus he probably was involved in Biggie being killed, and he led 2Pac down a pathway into street violence that 2Pac wouldnt have been involved in if not for the influence of Suge.

I still can't believe that people defend Suge. He's a an absolute asshole woman beating fraudulent scumbag that screwed up alot of lifes and careers.

Suge is responsible for the Chronic, Doggystyle, All Eyez, Makaveli and several great music videos

but his music choices post-2pac are horrible

and for the record, Napoleon and Big Syke both say Suge did not have anything to do with 2pac's death.  i know that will be brought up if it hasn't already.

Lol yes i'm sure Suge was every reason the Chronic was successfull. I wasn't the fact that Dr. Dre, of N.W.A. fame, was the title artist, producer & rapper on the album. It wasn't the assembly of artists and musicians who worked hours on end with Dre to make the album, it was alllllll Suge. Suge the former NFL wanna be turned wanna be piru and then eventually M.O.B. The most important man in the world.

Suge may have not set 2Pac up for the hit, but he got 2Pac involved in a path that he didnt need to take. 2Pac had no reason, other than Suge, to be involved in M.O.B. and there beef with SSC, that led to 2Pac making the stupid decision to beat up Orlando Anderson. He didn;t pull the trigger but he set the events in motion (not that he should be entirely blamed). At least Dr. Dre figured what Suge was about, thus staying away from Death Row's usual studio until he's eventual departure in 1996. Snoop was smart enough to stay out of that shit too. Unfortunately Pac wasn't

There wouldn't have even been a "Chronic" because Dre was under contract at Ruthless Records and locked in by Eazy-E.  I agree Suge has done his own dirt just like anyone else has, but all these record label execs do the same type of thing as Suge, we just don't hear about it on the surface.  I think it's fair to criticize some of his poor decisions, such as not releasing an active artists album post 2000, but to take away all his achievements and steal his accolades is not being fair minded and objective.  "All Eyez On Me" wouldn't have sounded like "All Eyez On Me" had Suge not pursued the signing of Pac and sat with him in that studio for every track he recorded (Suge picked the tracks on that album and the content was all related on what was happening at the time).  Dre wasn't releasing anythng and he didn't even get along with Tupac.  If you change one event, it changes all the other events around it.  Suge has done some dumb stuff no doubt.  But you gotta give him his due in the 90's he was a great owner and setup a $300 million dollar operation from nothing.  Dre laid a bomb classic once he was free from Ruthless.  Suge signed Kurupt and Warren G led Snoop to Dre.  Everything came together.  But these albums don't exist in their true classic form if you change the events of time.  I agree, I wanted Death Row to release so many more records that are sitting under someone's couch seats or in a shed somewhere and all we have is these low quality bootlegs, but what was meant to be happened.  And we wouldn't have those classics if you switch things up.  All Eyez On Me is my personal favorite album of all time.  You can feel Death Row on that album come to life to this day better than any other album in the history of hip hop.

True, Suge pursued Pac. Fine. But saying Dre and Pac hated each other wasn't true.

I think Dre resented Suge pursuing options without consulting with Dre, when it was suposedly a mutual partnership. I think Dre said a few years ago that he began to want out when he had someone walk up to him and say "Hi I'm and I'm on Death Row Records now" when Dre had no idea about it.

Then of course came the fact that Suge was making Dre do things he didnt feel like pursuing. Example, I believe Dre didn't feel like mixing Dogg Food, as Daz alluded to that in an interview (He said they had to pull a gun on Dre to force him to mix the record, which i doubt is entirely true). I also believe Dre wanted to save California Love for The Chronic 2, but Suge forced Dre to give it to Pac.

Dre has always said he enjoyed working with Pac and at the time said how usually he had to get rappers to rerecord vocals where as Pac just came in and laid the vocals down perfect 1st time in. What soured the relationship was Suges influence over Pac, and coupled with Daz's lies (I produced this track Dre didnt) is what probably led to Pac not liking Dre and then dissing him with lies that Suge and Daz told him (no wonder Dre wont work with Daz again).

I wouldnt be suprized if suposed Daz tracks (Got My Mind Made Up, Let's Play House) were skeleton crappy demo production from Daz, that Dre then fine tuned and turned into classic beats. Both sound like they have a Dre element. Its kinda like how Daz claims credit for stuff on Chronic and Doggystyle, and Snoop came out and dispelled the BS Daz said about it

So all this is what led to Dre wanting out and the problem Pac had with Dre (not the other way around).

BTW Kurupt was discovered by Snoop in a freestyle battle who brought him to Dre. Nothing to do with Suge

Mob Figgaz

• 'G'
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2009, 04:00:47 AM »
I bought the album off Amazon, and added the 3 bonus tracks from the best buy rip that leaked!
Wideasleep will fail

love33

« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2009, 11:58:07 AM »
Dre has always said he enjoyed working with Pac and at the time said how usually he had to get rappers to rerecord vocals where as Pac just came in and laid the vocals down perfect 1st time in. What soured the relationship was Suges influence over Pac, and coupled with Daz's lies (I produced this track Dre didnt) is what probably led to Pac not liking Dre and then dissing him with lies that Suge and Daz told him (no wonder Dre wont work with Daz again).

Tupac was a grown man meaning he decides who he likes and who he doesn't like.  Pac dispised Dre to the point where he went on KMEL radio in the Bay Area and dissed him saying he's a bomb producer but he never produces any beats.  He continued to diss him on the radio interview.  He also has several tracks like "To Live And Die In LA," "Fuck Friends," "Toss It Up," etc.  When you're a grown man, you make your own decisions.  If he didn't have a problem with Dre, he wouldn't be dissing him.

I don't know who to believe as far as Daz is concerned.  I heard him say he produced parts of the Chronic but like you said who knows if he barely produced the track and Dre did all the work on it.  The mixing on that album is top notch.  Dre deserves an assist for "Dogg Food" but I also remember an interview with Suge where he said Daz was doing the production and Dre wasn't doing anything, which is why we saw all the Daz & Johnny J production on "All Eyez On Me."  I believe that they had to force Dre to mix Dogg Food otherwise we'd still be waiting for it since he was so slow.  Look at him now, it's the same thing -- he needs someone to push him to release some music, 10 years for one album is unacceptable ("Detox") so I could see where Pac & Suge were coming from.  I also remember that "California Love" was intended for "The Chronic 2" but Dre obviously agreed to move the track to Pac's album because he shot the video for it with Pac.  Tracks got moved around all the time on Death Row, that's nothing new...look at "Can't C Me," that was supposed to be for Dogg Food originally.  Even recent years, look at "Hood Star," that was Crook's big new single for the third attempt at a debut album and after Crook had his problem with Suge he re-recorded it with Petey Pablo on it.  Just like Young Doobie took Chocolate Bandit's "I'm Country" (Chronic 2000).  Tha Row did stuff like this all the time, so I can't really see how Dre would be upset about Cali Love when he shot the video for it knowing it was going on Pac's album.  Then he stopped production alltogether for "Chronic 2" and started working on a compilation album that he would eventually release on Aftermath.

I have to say that I agree with Pac in the sense that Dre is a BOMB producer, but he takes FOREVER to produce a track.  I also agree with you that Suge signed a bunch of acts and he didn't run them by Dre.  Dre was being nudged out of the company but he also was bringing it on himself by not participating in anything.  I think he was just frustrated because he wanted to take Death Row in a national format situation and work with artists like Nas where Suge's idea was to keep it Westcoast and thugged out, then eventually do a "Death Row East" (which was basically a takeover of the East Coast).

I also remember reading in a Suge interview that he discovered Kurupt at a birthday party when he freestyled for him.  Maybe someone from DubCNN could ask Kurupt this in his next interview.  But it's also obvious Kurupt was loyal to Suge as he resigned with Death Row to become Vice President of the label until it went into bankruptcy after the lawsuit.  Kurupt was cool with both Suge and Dre and he was the only rapper to be on both "The Chronic 2000" and Dr. Dre's "2001."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:02:48 PM by love33 »

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2009, 12:02:41 PM »
daz said he produced part of DOGGYSTYLE (murder was the case)   not the Chronic

either way Daz is not a trustable source
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

D-TalkX

« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »
Anyone in Canada get the best buy version yet...cuz i still haven't and i'm pretty sure the company is down the street from me...not happy...Can anyone shed any light on this? it's probably been discussed somewhere but thought i'd try this...

acgrundy

« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2009, 12:12:16 PM »
daz claimed he did rat a tat tat

love33

« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2009, 12:32:42 PM »
Also, to add to the situation with Pac dissing Dre, Snoop said that he was encouraged to diss Biggie Smalls.  Even though Snoop & Kurupt recorded "New York New York," a diss track to the East Coast, he stopped after that track and their trailor got shot up and it began to get violent.  Snoop put the brakes on and said he wasn't going to take part in dissing Biggie.  Knowing this, Pac could have took this same route, but he didn't.  Pac was running around repping the "Westcoast Thuglife Outlawz" and dissing Dre for not being active and helping out with the production enough, dissing everyone on the Eastcoast who wasn't down with Death Row, and anyone who opposed Tha Row.  He was down with Methodman and Redman, and he was best friends with Treach (Naughty by Nature), and rumor has it they were going to be possibilities for Death Row East.

Pac and Snoop reportedly had a fallout when Snoop said he wasn't going to continue to push on with the "East/West" diss tracks because he didn't like the direction it was headed (turning violent).  This is why Tupac wasn't featured on "Tha Doggfather."  Pac, The Outlawz, Tha Dogg Pound, and OFTB were repping the West to the fullest for Death Row, and Westside Connection was riding hard for the West all over the East coast.  Tha Dogg Pound appeared on a diss track towards New York with Ice Cube's group Kausion called "I'll Do It."  Westside Connection's "Bow Down" was full of disses and they also recorded "Westside Slaughterhouse."

In a nutshell, Pac was riding hard for the Westcoast and Suge was behind him and he was out of control.  Dre went into hiding and started to record more positive music ("Dr. Dre presents..The Aftermath."), Snoop remained on Death Row but laid low and after Pac passed away Suge put him in artist purgatory and wouldn't release "Smokefest" (a lot of the tracks on Dead Man walkin were recorded during this period).  So Snoop feared for his safety and he was laying down, and he packed his bags for New Orleans to work for No Limit.

Meanwhile, in 1997-98, it was all about unreleased Pac tracks and the rumors that surrounded him.  Jimmy Iovine came to Suge and said he needs his artists "soften" his content.  Suge refused and Interscope slowly backed out on Suge before he went to Priority.  Dre signed with Jimmy and Interscope, softened his artists, and the effort as a more positive rapper didn't pickup.  Meanwhile, the media blackballed the West Coast, and the gangsta rap period came to a slow end.  Artists like Mase, DMX, Puff Daddy (Diddy), Jermaine Dupri, Jay-Z, Cash Money, and No Limit took control of the airwaves with Bling Bling rap.  Westcoast artists still sold Gold but would eventually die out the next 5 years as sales continually decreased because of no national radio and video support.  They had a smal surge in 99-2000 with the Up In Smoke Tour and a series of albums including Kurupt's "Tha Streetz Iz A Mutha," Dr. Dre "2001," Mr. Short Khop, Ice Cube, Chico & Coolwadda, 40 and Short droppin albums, but they just couldn't keep it going with the blackballing nationally and no major radio play and no video play on MTV.  Those artists like DMX and Cash Money overtook the West with all the major radio play and videos on MTV.