Author Topic: Rate Jay-zs Discography  (Read 1154 times)

Nicolas

• Lil Geezy
Re: Rate Jay-zs Discography
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 06:15:18 AM »
Reasonable Doubt 10/10 Classic, even though it had Ain't No Nigga on it, which was Jay's biggest hit back in the day, but still sucked balls.
Vol. 1 8,5/10 Dope except for 3-4 weak tracks.
Vol. 2 5/10 Haven't heard it a lot, most tracks were meh although it had huge hits.
Vol. 3 7/10 Pretty decent.
Dynasty 8/10 Not so much a Jay album, but a cool intro to the Roc roster. Had some great Jay verses on it.
Blueprint 1 9,5/10 Great album, with Hola and Jigga That Nigga holding it from a 10/10.
Blueprint 2 3/10 His worst album, a huge fuckin mess. It had Watcher pt. 2 though witch is a classic song.
Black Album 10/10 Classic, flawless (Change Clothes included) with his greatest verses ever.
Kingdom Come 7/10 Most album was nice but there were quite alot bad tracks. His flow was so so on most of it.
American Gangster 9/10 Good concept album, nice lyrics, beats and flow. Back on the roots.
Blueprint 3 7,5/10 Lyrics and flow could be a lot lot better, but I can't complain.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 07:06:53 AM »
lol, the only albums worth mentiong for me, are Reasonable doubt & Kingdom come, haha :laugh:

also, can anyone tell me why they think that The Black Album is so great?

RD - 10/10 - Straight up classic.
In My Lifetime - 9/10 - Would have been on the same level as "RD" except for the 2 poppy, trash singles.
Hard Knock Life - 5.5/10 - Mainstream crap
Life & Times - 7/10 - Some real hot tracks. Def. a step up from his last LP.
Dynasty - 6.5/10 - Compilation
Blueprint - 8.5/10 - Some weak tracks ("Hola" comes to mind)
Blueprint 2 - 6.5/10 - Would have been classic or just as good as BP1 if kept at 1 disc
Black Album - 10/10 - Love it. Classic.
Kingdom Come - 7/10. New style; worked on some tracks, didn't on others.
American Gangster - 8/10 - Loved the old school flow it gave off.
Blueprint 3 - 7/10
lol that's ironic coming from you :laugh:
i respect that you don't like it, but you're usually very tolerant when it comes to mainstream music.
besides, you rated the album as decent, that's not what i expect from something that you call crap :P

To save time why dont you tell us why it isnt.Because Id say people that dont like the album are in the extreme miniority.
i think it's nothing special, looking at the type of songs+ the production is all over the place.
yeah it seems that the album gets a lot of praise, but the arguments are unknown to me.
no one can convince me, but with some explanations i can at least have a rough idea why the album gets so much praise.

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 07:15:46 AM »
lol, the only albums worth mentiong for me, are Reasonable doubt & Kingdom come, haha :laugh:

In My Lifetime - 9/10 - Would have been on the same level as "RD" except for the 2 poppy, trash singles.
Blueprint 2 - 6.5/10 - Would have been classic or just as good as BP1 if kept at 1 disc
Blueprint 3 - 7/10
i respect that you don't like it, but you're usually very tolerant when it comes to mainstream music.
besides, you rated the album as decent, that's not what i expect from something that you call crap :P

To save time why dont you tell us why it isnt.Because Id say people that dont like the album are in the extreme miniority.
i think it's nothing special, looking at the type of songs+ the production is all over the place.
yeah it seems that the album gets a lot of praise, but the arguments are unknown to me.
no one can convince me, but with some explanations i can at least have a rough idea why the album gets so much praise.

My reasons:

Even though there is a different producer for each track, the album still has a cohesive feel. Nothing really stands out as being out of place, apart from Change Clothes.

Encore, What More Can I Say, Lucifer, Threat, PSA, Dirt Off Your Shoulder, Allure are all amazing tracks.

Jay's lyrics on this are outstanding, some of them I didn't catch until a year or two after the album's release.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 07:23:31 AM »
thanks, we're getting somewhere now ;)

nothing seems out of place: not even Dirt off your shoulder?
personally, i don't like Timbaland, haha  :laugh:

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 08:54:03 AM »

Blueprint 3 - 7/10

I listen to every song on there, apart from change clothes. One whack song out of an entire album means its a pretty good album. There's your reason right there.

NillerTheKid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »

Blueprint 3 - 7/10

I listen to every song on there, apart from change clothes. One whack song out of an entire album means its a pretty good album. There's your reason right there.
thats not a classic
See these fans can't resist the rush,
they Wu-Tang for life
Scarred for life,
they can't forget the cuts

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 10:44:08 AM »
I am going to have to listen to Volume 1 again but aside from the lyrics on some tracks, musically I could not get into that one. Volume 2 is Jay's All Eyez On Me. Almost every song on there was single material, even the gutter tracks. Volume 3 for me was what I thought everyone thinks of Volume 2, a blatant attempt at mainstream success following Vol. 2. That album sounded thrown together. Dynasty might be one of Jay's most personal albums, hell Roc-A-Fella as a whole. I quickly got sick of Rick Rock's beats for other artists outside of the Bay or the west after listening to this album, too repetitive. I thought Blueprint 1= Better beats, Blueprint 2= better lyrically overall. Takeover was and still is a BEAST. Black Album- near classic, Kingdom Come- ehh a few bangers, more subdued. American Gangster- near classic, Blueprint 3- ehh. Of course Reasonable Doubt- classic

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 11:09:13 AM »

Blueprint 3 - 7/10

lucky you, only one filler :laugh: ;)

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 11:28:20 AM »
Reasonable Doubt [10/10]
A Classic, BK's finest music and a young Jay-Z hungry and talented

In My Lifetime Vol.1 [10/10]
My personal favorite, musically dope and Jay-Z still on point

Hard Knock Life Vol. 2 [7/10]
Jigga became mainstream but well he made an entertaining album with 2 classic records

In My Lifetime Vol. 3 [6/10]
Sounds like the latest without any evolutions

Roc-La-Familia: The Dynasty [8/10]
Incredibles beats and real good alchemy between ROC rappers.

The Blueprint [8/10]
Some considers it as a classic, not me but well it shows a new side to hiphop

The Blueprint 2 [-]
Cant judge it because I gave it like a couple listen when it drops and I dont want to re-listen to this again

The Black Album [8/10]
A huge producers cast allowed this album to be relevent to me after the disapointement of Blueprint 2
but I think Jigga flow started to fall off at this point of his career

Kingdome Come [7/10]
Some good beats here and there, enjoyable album

American Gangster [-]
I really loved it when it dropped but now I totally forgot how it sounds, can't rate it

The Blueprint 3 [6/10]
Just above average, some nice records but like I said Jigga aint the rapper he used to be
and his flow is extremly annoying on a couple tracks

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:29:59 AM by Juan Gomez »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 12:40:02 PM »

Blueprint 3 - 7/10

thats not a classic

By classic I assume you mean masterpiece? Classic has to do with influence in pop culture. I never mentioned the words masterpiece or classic. I was responding to Dre-Day who asked what was so great about it. To me its a near-masterpiece and better than The Blueprint, which has more than one filler.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 12:41:38 PM by Rapsodie »

NillerTheKid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 01:05:25 PM »

Blueprint 3 - 7/10

thats not a classic

By classic I assume you mean masterpiece? Classic has to do with influence in pop culture. I never mentioned the words masterpiece or classic. I was responding to Dre-Day who asked what was so great about it. To me its a near-masterpiece and better than The Blueprint, which has more than one filler.
look at the quote, it says 10/10 classic
See these fans can't resist the rush,
they Wu-Tang for life
Scarred for life,
they can't forget the cuts

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 02:20:35 PM »

Blueprint 3 - 7/10

thats not a classic

look at the quote, it says 10/10 classic

I was replying to Dre-Day's post, not whoever he happened to quote. Nowhere did I cosign lunatic's list. What is the point of all this?