Author Topic: Lyfe Jennings Interview  (Read 120 times)

Lunatic

Lyfe Jennings Interview
« on: November 02, 2009, 11:07:41 AM »

http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/2041/54/

Raptalk.Net sat down with R&B star Lyfe Jennings to discuss his upcoming and final album before his retirement, "Sooner or Later."

Enjoy!

Read Full Interview Here: http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/2041/54/

Raptalk.Net: We have R&B sensation Lyfe Jennings in the house! How are you?

Lyfe Jennings: I’m good man. It’s a good time for Lyfe Jennings.

Raptalk.Net: Why is it a good time? What do you have going on?

Lyfe Jennings: We have the album popping off and it’s a great album. We have a couple of other things going on. I’m just excited period.

Raptalk.Net: The album you’re speaking of is “Sooner or Later.” What’s the release date for the project?

Lyfe Jennings: We’re looking at November right now. “Sooner or Later” is just a tentative title; its half-way titled and half-way untitled.

Raptalk.Net: So the title may not be “Sooner or Later?”

Lyfe Jennings: Right.

Raptalk.Net: Tell us about the first single “Haters.”

Lyfe Jennings: The first single “Haters” is like a street single. I had to get that off my chest. There are a lot of people hating on me and saying things about me and I just wanted to let everybody know that Lyfe is OK. Everything is fine; you’re the only one mad.

Raptalk.Net: So that’s the street single; has the first official single been picked out?

Lyfe Jennings: We have three songs that we’re turning over tediously trying to find the one that the people will like the most.

Raptalk.Net: How is that process treating you so far?

Lyfe Jennings: So many people like so many different things. We’re just trying to not make decisions based on the radio picture. We’re trying to make decisions in a fan picture and a long term picture.

Raptalk.Net: Do you think not enough artists do that? They just pick singles based on radio. Is it more important to cater towards your own fan base?

Lyfe Jennings: That’s a question if you have a fan base at all. If your fan base is not really a fan base, it’s really a fan of the radio, and then yeah you do have to pick music for every genre. If you have fans of not only the music but of the personality, I think you definitely need to cater to those people because when radio is gone, those are the guys that stick by you.

Raptalk.Net: I like that answer. So does that apply more to veteran artists who have a fan base?

Lyfe Jennings: Absolutely. They definitely should do something different to stress your artistry and to allow yourself to grow. You can’t forget about the people who allowed you to show your artistry.

Raptalk.Net: Tell us about hooking up with Asylum Records to release the album?

Lyfe Jennings: They work hard and their organized. They gave me an opportunity to be an artist and not worry about if the label is feeling it. I feel like I have a real good thing around me right now.

Raptalk.Net: Is the album 100% done? Have you turned it in?

Lyfe Jennings: No, it’s not done. We have three more joints to do with different producers. It’ll be done this month.

Raptalk.Net: Up to this point, which producers have you worked with?

Lyfe Jennings: Eric Hudson, Warren Campbell, Trackboys, Polow Da Don and possibly Raphael Saadiq too.

Raptalk.Net: Tell us about the sound that some of those guys brought you. Which one was your favorite?

Lyfe Jennings: Eric Hudson is a young guy who is very beat oriented. He plays everything and is good at everything surprisingly. I think it’s the same for Warren Campbell. He’s a little more soulful where-as Eric is more Hip-Hop as it is right now. Warren Campbell is more timeless and will always be. It’s just a balance.

Raptalk.Net: With that said, how does the musical direction of this album compare to your first three?

Lyfe Jennings: I think content wise, it’s definitely the same because that’s just what I do, responsible type music. I think beat wise it’s a lot different. This album is a lot more beat oriented and we did more live instrumentation on this one. I think people will be pleasantly surprised to see the hooks aren’t necessarily the hooks.

Raptalk.Net: I really like the fact that you said responsible music. You’ve always been known to make more introspective, touching types of music.  We can expect the same type of subject matter on here?

Lyfe Jennings: Absolutely.

Raptalk.Net: With songs like “S.E.X.”, it was so powerful; do you pride yourself off making powerful music?

Lyfe Jennings: I actually do. Having the voice to be able to do something like that without it coming off as sounding preachy, that’s a great thing in itself. We definitely have other topics on the album; maybe not straight like “S.E.X.” but there similar in terms of community issues.

Raptalk.Net: And what types of guest appearances have you recorded with thus far?

Lyfe Jennings: We have recorded but might not necessarily make the album with Anthony Hamilton, Fabolous, Bobby Valentino and Ludacris. That’s what we have recorded right now but not necessarily on the album.

Raptalk.Net: Where do you feel this album stands in your discography? Is it your best release?

Lyfe Jennings: I honestly think my best release will always be “268-192” because that was my first. In that world yes, but I think my most creative album, my greatest album that serves as a compilation for all of the stuff that I’ve learned is this album, by far.

Raptalk.Net: Is it truly your last album? If so, why the retirement plans?

Lyfe Jennings: This is definitely my last album. I mean, I have kids. I can’t be on the road 7-8 months out the year anymore. I owe them my time. We’re going to do this one more time and I’m going to fall off into fatherhood (laughs).

Raptalk.Net: Do you plan on sticking behind the scenes?

Lyfe Jennings: Yeah, I’ll definitely be doing some writing. I have my label so there will be definitely be some artists that I plan on working with. I plan on diving into TV and fashion as well as a couple of other things.

Raptalk.Net: What’s next up for your Jesus Swings label imprint?

Lyfe Jennings: Well right now nothing is up for it. I’m really just trying to concentrate on me right now since I’m the main artist on the label right now. I really want to learn through trial and error so by the time I’m ready to release my first artist, I’ll have a greater grasp of the label thing.

Raptalk.Net: Jesus Swings is an interesting name for the label. Why did you title it that?

Lyfe Jennings: When Jesus was here, he was swinging up and down. Regardless if he was up or down, he always spoke responsibly and that’s what we strive to do at Jesus Swings.

Raptalk.Net: How do you feel about the state of R&B right now?

Lyfe Jennings: I think it’s in a great state. Is it everything that we want it to be? No, but I mean is anything everything that we want it to be? Fads come and go, and we have artists that will stick around and that’s how it’ll always be.

Raptalk.Net: Thanks a lot for your time Lyfe. You’re on www.raptalk.net. Do you have any last words?

Lyfe Jennings: Thank you to the fans. Not enough artists say thank you to the fans. They allow us to do what we do. Everybody check out the new and the last album from Lyfe Jennings. Thank you.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
Re: Lyfe Jennings Interview
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:38:20 AM »
It's funny that I've never heard him talk about his brother Jay Rush... hopefully he can pick it up where Lyfe leaves off if this retirements for real.